Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

givio 12-28-2016 12:31 PM

NZquilter, who needs more units when we can make that layout!? Very nice.

Sheep Farmer 12-28-2016 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ooh, NZquiter. I love that layout with your colors.

I am making half the blocks, so I'm finally finished with clues 1-5. Yay!
Here are a few of my units.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564504[/ATTACH]

AngeliaNR 12-28-2016 03:52 PM

I'm not ready for the reveal--I love the process.

lawsonmugs 12-28-2016 03:54 PM

Very nice sheep farmer. pretty colors

NZquilter 12-28-2016 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 7727792)
I'm not ready for the reveal--I love the process.

I agree:) Isn't every Friday going to feel so empty after all the fun we are enjoying weekly?
Lovely blocks, Sheep Farmer.

GramE 12-28-2016 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I need you all to gather round with your teeny violins to accompany me while I tell my sad story. :shock:.

After 14 pillow cases, 6 microwave bowl pot holders, two extra large double layer fleece blankets, one with crocheted edging, I was ready to get to clue five! I made two test squares and both came out fine, so I finished the two strips before nap time arrived. After supper, I thought I'd get to clue four that got skipped over for above mentioned projects. I got 48 pairs of wings cut, not of the fabric I wanted but I could not find it. Arrggh. I'm probably looking right at it. I cut one triangle to go check to make sure I was on the right track. (Who checks the sizing after cutting 48 pairs?) well, it didn't come out, too short in the wing depart. :thumbdown: :shock:

Ok, no panic, but what did I do wrong. Oops, template says cut 5/8" more than finished square size, I only cut 1/2". Got enough fabric to cut 32 the right way, still looking for the deep purple I wanted to use. So I have my wings & triangles cut to bring to bed to cut off the notches.

Have a couple of things to do before I get settled in, and what before my wandering eyes do I see but 40 pairs of wings in the fabric I couldn't find earlier:p;). I have no memory of cutting them or placing them bedside! Clue 4 is trying to be my undoing but not gonna happen! Having too much fun.

I think this quilt will have an edging of triangles in a square that are 2 1/2". ��

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564520[/ATTACH]

quiltsRfun 12-28-2016 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by GramE (Post 7727918)
I think this quilt will have an edging of triangles in a square that are 2 1/2".

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Siodach 12-28-2016 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7727475)
Kate/Siodach,
So glad you are joining us again this year! I have thought of you often, and so enjoyed meeting you and Ron when I was in Scotland this spring! I think your quilt will be lovely, and think I even recognize one of the fabrics!:D

yep you certainly do lol...
Didn't we have a fun evening! It's great when you meet someone with a matching sense of humour :D.

It's mainly because yourself and SandraP (who I also spent a wonderful evening with in Edinburgh) are participating that I wanted to join in too. Doing things with friends is always the best!

K

Siodach 12-29-2016 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 7727508)
Siodach, your Allietare turned out beautifully! I'm so glad you gave in and are joining us. Did I understand right, that your tri-recs units are 2"? What size square are you working with for the 4-patches?

JeanneS, thanks so much for sharing that photo!

Fraew, your fabrics are gorgeous.

Hi there, yes the mini-tri-recs tool makes a finished 2" square (2.5" unfinished), no other options available on it lol. I do have the regular templates too but I didn't have a huge amount of one or two of my fabrics, so I went with the wee-er size.

For the 4-patches, I started with strips of 1.5".

For the HSTs I started with 3" squares, drew the diagonal line and stitched either side.

I've been doing some math. The full size quilt will be 87" x 87". Quarter of the units should come out about 43.5" x 43.5".

As my units are 2/3 size I'm thinking mine should turn out at 28.75" square. Hopefully I'll have enough leftover fabric to make some extra blocks....

Cheers, K

pennycandy 12-29-2016 02:22 AM

FYI: we won't be using an more dark purple after clue 5.

Something to keep in mind for future projects: fat quarters can create more waste than strips cut from WOF. Sometimes you can't cut as many pieces per strip with the fat quarters.