Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

Tom W 11-25-2016 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by givio (Post 7706306)
Kassaundra, Thanks for this explanation: "If you are sewing your 4 patches it is 221, if you are cutting a solid square it is 45, b/c she will include other solid shapes later that aren't 3.5 inch squares."

Well, I'm going to sew the 4-patches anyway, but... still... if you need a total of 221 3.5 4-patches, I don't know how 45 3.5 squares can be a substitute for the 221. Because what would the other 176 missing 3.5 ___ end up being? ... If she includes other solid shapes later, wouldn't both the people with the 221 4-patches and the people with the 45 squares both be making the other solid shapes too?

... And, what, I wonder, is the point of making the 4-patch if it is all neutrals? Is it just simply to make smaller pieces, or more seams, or more scrappiness? Or is there a reason to it? Can it add to the design if it's all neutral?

Ah! it's all a mystery to me! lolololol

jclinganrey, Me too, doing the blues, I think there are several of us that are.

45 of the 4 patches will be used as 3.5" squares, the remaining 176 will be combined with other clues to make a different block...

SusanSusan33 11-25-2016 07:04 PM

I was so excited to make 4 patches but now i feel crazy. I have 31 ironed and 30 ish more that are snipped and need to be twirled and ironed. It took quite a few hours work. I always say I want to keep track of how long a quilt takes.

SusanSusan33 11-25-2016 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
so[ATTACH=CONFIG]562782[/ATTACH] Here are some of my finished squares.

Pam H 11-25-2016 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by dmarie (Post 7688657)
I didn't have any purples or magenta so I'm thinking maybe blue with red constant. What do you think?

Blues are a great idea! I'm not much of a purple person.

quiltsRfun 11-25-2016 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by givio (Post 7706306)
... And, what, I wonder, is the point of making the 4-patch if it is all neutrals? Is it just simply to make smaller pieces, or more seams, or more scrappiness? Or is there a reason to it? Can it add to the design if it's all neutral.

AH! It's all a mystery to me!

Take a look at the quilt on the top of Bonnie's web page or some of her free patterns and you'll get an idea what we're working towards. With the neutrals all a bit different it adds more more interest and texture to the design. As for the difference between the 221 vs 45 units, I'm guessing it's how they're incorporated into the blocks. Some might be centers, some might be corners. As you said, it's a mystery. LOL

I'm doing half size and have all my 4-patches sewn. Just need to twirl and press. Right now I'm in Scarlett O'Hara mode, "I'll think about that tomorrow." :)

pennycandy 11-25-2016 08:09 PM

After being a bystander for the last two mysteries, I decided to join in this time. First time ever for a mystery quilt and one of Bonnie's patterns as well. I'm not doing the full size, probable closer to one forth. Sticking with Bonnie's colors except for the green. Avocado isn't in my comfort zone so I went with teal instead.

I was going to go with controlled scrappy but changed my mind about the neutrals. Dug into my meager stash of leftovers from other projects and found something that I like better than my original choice and a white on cream muslin.

I'm going out on a limb and think we might be cutting some of the 4 patch blocks into triangles.

sewbizgirl 11-25-2016 08:16 PM

Here is a tutorial on spinning your 4 patches. I think she clips some center sts, but you don't really need to. If your seams are properly nested, those few sts should just pop open as you press the seam allowances in opposite directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajw2PqcFLs0

sewbizgirl 11-25-2016 08:20 PM

Kass, your Allietare turned out great. Love the horse fabric on your back...and also your straight line quilting. I'll probably quilt mine that way too.

Kassaundra 11-25-2016 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7706353)
Kass, your Allietare turned out great. Love the horse fabric on your back...and also your straight line quilting. I'll probably quilt mine that way too.

Thanks the actual quilting isn't my thing, straight line w/ a walking foot seemed to be the easiest way not to mess it up.

sewbizgirl 11-25-2016 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7706355)
Thanks the actual quilting isn't my thing, straight line w/ a walking foot seemed to be the easiest way not to mess it up.

It's the way I usually quilt too. My FMQ is pretty ugly.