Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

Belfrybat 01-02-2017 12:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Giveo and Jaba and Irish -- great colour combinations! I love the way the different colours play together.

I'm not at the point of sewing anything together right now, but played around on the design wall to see how the red stars would play. Very nicely, I think. I haven't decided whether to leave the center neutral or find a small print with neutral/red/blue in it. Will have to shop my stash and see what I have on hand. This is the first BH quilt I've done that I actually like. The first one I did was the purple/ lime green one and I hated it so skipped Celtic Solstice which I loved at the reveal. Then I tried the Grand Chaos, oops Illusion, and hated that one so I skipped last year and ended up liking the design. I finally hit pay dirt with this one.

I probably have a couple of four square patches turned the wrong way as the cat was really trying to help me by sorting the units for me. <sigh> But this helps give me an idea of what a larger portion will look like. -- edited to add a pic of a small print in the center of the block. It picks up the red, blue and green. What do you think?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564810[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564811[/ATTACH]

sewbizgirl 01-02-2017 12:03 PM

Great blocks, everyone! And great ideas... It's fun to see all the changes happening.

Belfry, I guess I'm the only one who preferred your blocks with the bolder yellow! If you are using red for your magenta, I think the bold yellow would look great.

joe'smom 01-02-2017 12:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the results of my mornings experimentations. I've realized that one thing I really like about Bonnie's color placement is what I'm calling the dagger effect I see in the middle of her block. It reminds me of a fleur de lis and strikes me as very French, so I want to keep that. After experimenting, I've concluded that that effect depends on the placement of the yellow. You don't get it if you put neutrals there, which I've seen some people doing, and you don't get it if you put a darker color there.

The other thing I was working on was wanting to see the green better; my eye is having trouble picking it out from a short distance. So I tried replacing the lavender in the QST with a lighter green. I found that I needed a dark center if I used the light green. For this QST/center, I used a fabric that I didn't use in the clue #3 units because I thought it was too dark for a lavender and too light for a purple. I may still try the QST with my regular lavenders, just to cover all the bases.

I've made my pictures smaller because at this point I need to see things from a distance. The first photo is the closest to Bonnie's, with a darker lavender in the QST and a single square neutral in the center. The next photo moves the yellow out of the block. The third photo is the green QST with the dark center.

Kassaundra 01-02-2017 01:06 PM

Belfry, I'm torn about your delicate print center. The neutral center really "needs" something I think, and I really want to like the blue print but it is so delicate and the whole quilt is so graphic and bold it comes off as jarring to me.

I agree w/ you about grand illusion, I only watched on that one but really didn't like it, but joined in w/ Alltierre inspite of GI and really like that one, but did mine in blue and yellow.

I like this one but am planning on tweaks. I like my colors on this one better then Bonnies, but have seen some really stunning color combos that I like much better then mine.

Kassaundra 01-02-2017 01:11 PM

Lisa I think I like the first one best, definately don't like the neutral in the center. The yellow almost give it an illusion of 3D the neutrals keep it flat.

Pagzz 01-02-2017 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not done with clue 6 but I put things up to see how the colors will play together. My yellow is a yellow/orange pinstripe and it is a constant.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564826[/ATTACH]

Sophie2 01-02-2017 04:02 PM

With Christmas travels I am a bit behind on my clues. Tomorrow I hope to start on #5 and hopefully get on with #6 and possibly #7. Now that I have seen some of your combinations I am really anxious to get back to working on this MQ. Last year we did not travel during the holidays and I like it better. :)

lawsonmugs 01-02-2017 04:18 PM

Oh wow.... these are all so beautiful. Hi Judy !!. Hope to see a lot of you on Judy's mystery train ride.

NZquilter 01-02-2017 04:59 PM

You certainly have been busy, Jeanne! It looks so lovely and calm. Nonscrappy does have its own charm for sure. I am a scrappy girl, but I really love yours! Nice job:)

NZquilter 01-02-2017 05:05 PM

Just an FYI, for those who are going to be making it 3x4, that will mean you will need to make 3/4 size from Bonnie's. All this mystery I've been making a 2/3 size and now need to go make more of EVERYTHING. A bit of a nuisance as I am seriously running out of my fabrics. I just need to keep telling myself that I'll be thanking myself later for the extra work, when I have a beauty of a quilt the size I actually want:)