Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-en-provence-t283327.html)

Pagzz 11-25-2016 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7706149)
I was just going to use one fabric for each color, and only one neutral. After reading the first clue I am debating about adding one more neutral as she gave that as an option to just cutting the 3 1/2" squares. Anyone else have thoughts on this?? Not sure what to do.

I thought her idea of using two neutrals was interesting. You could make up a couple 2 neutral four patches and wait and see how they look then go back and do the first step once you decide how they look with the other clues.

QuiltingVagabond 11-25-2016 03:27 PM

I have all my 4 patch twosies cut and ready to sew, but I think I will wait till tomorrow for that.

Kassaundra 11-25-2016 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7706149)
I was just going to use one fabric for each color, and only one neutral. After reading the first clue I am debating about adding one more neutral as she gave that as an option to just cutting the 3 1/2" squares. Anyone else have thoughts on this?? Not sure what to do.

I think if the neutral is interesting w/ obvious or good patterning use just the one, but if it is pretty "boring" or reads as solid use the 2 fabric option.

SheriR 11-25-2016 04:12 PM

I just divided my neutrals into lights/darks. I'm interested in how these will work out :D

Jeanne S 11-25-2016 04:45 PM

Thanks for your ideas. My neutral is just a white on white tiny diamond pattern, so I think I will try to find one new additional one in reserve. I like the idea of making a few sample 4 patches to try out as more clues develop!

jclinganrey 11-25-2016 05:05 PM

I have learned my lesson from BH mysteries - - - while I'm a huge fan of scrappy quilts, I'm doing a more controlled scrappy for this one! Also doing 1/2 sized - - - I'm using a hodge podge collection of American Jane fabrics, switching the purple & lavender for lighter blue & dark blue.

Kassaundra 11-25-2016 06:26 PM

I finished binding the quilt I'll try and get some pics posted in the next few days.

givio 11-25-2016 06:37 PM

Kassaundra, Thanks for this explanation: "If you are sewing your 4 patches it is 221, if you are cutting a solid square it is 45, b/c she will include other solid shapes later that aren't 3.5 inch squares."

Well, I'm going to sew the 4-patches anyway, but... still... if you need a total of 221 3.5 4-patches, I don't know how 45 3.5 squares can be a substitute for the 221. Because what would the other 176 missing 3.5 ___ end up being? ... If she includes other solid shapes later, wouldn't both the people with the 221 4-patches and the people with the 45 squares both be making the other solid shapes too?

... And, what, I wonder, is the point of making the 4-patch if it is all neutrals? Is it just simply to make smaller pieces, or more seams, or more scrappiness? Or is there a reason to it? Can it add to the design if it's all neutral?

Ah! it's all a mystery to me! lolololol

jclinganrey, Me too, doing the blues, I think there are several of us that are.

Kassaundra 11-25-2016 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by givio (Post 7706306)
Kassaundra, Thanks for this explanation: "If you are sewing your 4 patches it is 221, if you are cutting a solid square it is 45, b/c she will include other solid shapes later that aren't 3.5 inch squares."

Well, I'm going to sew the 4-patches anyway, but... still... if you need a total of 221 3.5 4-patches, I don't know how 45 3.5 squares can be a substitute for the 221. Because what would the other 176 missing 3.5 ___ end up being? ... If she includes other solid shapes later, wouldn't both the people with the 221 4-patches and the people with the 45 squares both be making the other solid shapes too?

... And, what, I wonder, is the point of making the 4-patch if it is all neutrals? Is it just simply to make smaller pieces, or more seams, or more scrappiness? Or is there a reason to it? Can it add to the design if it's all neutral?

Ah! it's all a mystery to me! lolololol

jclinganrey, Me too, doing the blues, I think there are several of us that are.

I agree I didn't understand how or why either, but that is what I understood in her directions.

Tom W 11-25-2016 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Clue one complete. 221 4 patches done...[ATTACH=CONFIG]562780[/ATTACH]