Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2018-19-mystery-quilt-good-fortune-t300618.html)

AlvaStitcher 12-12-2018 01:09 PM

These units are a pain to make! LOL. Enough said!

joe'smom 12-12-2018 02:07 PM

Yes, mine are being very persnickety!

WANNABEE 12-12-2018 02:14 PM

Love that word...persnickety!

JENNR8R 12-12-2018 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I read the instructions on how to make these units, I wasn't happy with the 1/8" seam allowance. However, it would take too long to do the bonus half-square triangles separately so I decided to do it that way. I was surprised that the bonus squares came out almost the perfect size.

I made 13 units going in the wrong direction, and had to do them over. I'm saving them in case another clue calls for them. Oh the mystery!

Clue 1 took six days... Clue 2 took four days... Clue 3 took six days... I'm naming my quilt Tendonitis.

Sandra-P 12-12-2018 02:30 PM

Jenn, glad it was only 13 units! All yours look great!

AmyBible 12-12-2018 04:55 PM

audsgirl - your fabrics are great - love the coat hangers!
Girlfriend - your purples, greens & blues will make a lovely quilt.
joe's mom -- um.... yes... peer pressure... that's the story I'm going with.
AngeliaNR - OH such fun fabrics. Is the quilt goign to be for you or are you giving it away?

I have about have of the Chevrons sewn, pressed & trimmed and triangles cut the for the HST but not sewn yet. Not sure I'll be totally finished by Friday since I work that day but I plan to catch up over the weekend.

Well we've used every color now except Bonnie's orange so who thinks Clue #4 will be orange and neutral? For me that's yellow & orange.

Because I like to know these things, I went back a few mysteries:
En Provence was just over 2800 pieces (87x87)
Ringo Lake was over 3200 pieces (75x90)
Through Clue #3 Good Fortune is a bit over 2100 pieces (75x75)

So.... the smallest finished size of the last 3 Mysteries already has over half the pieces with only 3 clues. I know the units sizes are different but all this makes me *hopeful* the next few clues won't have as many pieces as the first three clues.

retiredteacher09 12-12-2018 05:04 PM

Very nice units being shown. I am way behind but that's ok. I really do enjoy following everyone's progress.

AmyBible 12-12-2018 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by AmyBible (Post 8175523)
I have about have of the Chevrons sewn,

That should say I have about Half of the Chevrons sewn. Wish it was easier to edit these posts. :(

AmyBible 12-12-2018 05:35 PM

For those who sewed their half chevrons in the wrong direction, I've seen a couple posts on the Quiltville Open Studio FB page saying Bonnie addressed this today saying it's OK and that you'll just have to assemble a mirror image of the block. (did not find **Bonnie's** actual post though).

Battle Axe 12-12-2018 06:35 PM

I seem to be running out of neutrals and greens. I am using the Accuquilt to cut it and it wastes a lot more. Only a few more chevrons to go and I feel as if I have hit a brick wall.