Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2018-19-mystery-quilt-good-fortune-t300618.html)

toverly 12-13-2018 04:21 AM

I'm with you AmyBible, I think the next one is definitely orange but, I'm hoping for orange and red. To me it seems like this one is one of the first that I have done that hasn't mixed colors together. Maybe even an all scrappy orange something since she gave two orange colors in the paint chips. People like me using yardage may only have to cut something orange.

Battle Axe 12-13-2018 07:25 AM

How interesting AmyBible. Sooooo many pieces.

Visiting my Granny, I went to bed under a postage stamp quilt. Pieces half by 3/4 inch. My job was to find the 3 that were out of the same fabric. You know I went right to sleep and dreamed of quilting.

joe'smom 12-13-2018 07:45 AM

What a sweet story, Battle Axe!

I broke the cardinal rule and sewed about half of my first chevron pieces without checking how they were turning out, as I'm used to using the SFCR and assumed they would be good. The neutral piece wasn't quite reaching as far as it should. I should be able to use them, but I'm not happy with them; they all have the ugly tab sticking out at the top and side where the neutral square didn't reach. I adjusted my seam allowance and the second half turned out better.

I might get clue 3 done today for quilt #1, but I don't think there's a chance I'll get the second set done.

toverly, I've also been wondering if we'll get any colors together in a unit. Bonnie did say that every color had to have good contrast with every other color, and that doesn't seem that relevant if there is neutral between everything.

I think we're all expecting orange tomorrow. It will be a bit of a letdown if it's some other color, LOL.

Feathers-N-Fur 12-13-2018 09:46 AM

Woohoo! Finished sewing clue 3. Still need to cut apart and press, but that can be done in my recliner watching tv with DH later. At least I’m further along than I was last week.

chickadee_42us 12-13-2018 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cheesehead (Post 8172842)
I am finished with clue #3, here are my units to date.[ATTACH=CONFIG]604950[/ATTACH]

Lusciously colored fabrics that will make a stunning quilt.

Battle Axe 12-13-2018 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Clues 1, 2, 3 all done, all in this tub.[ATTACH=CONFIG]605270[/ATTACH]

Will I regret my sage green?

joe'smom 12-14-2018 12:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great job, BattleAxe! The sage might be kind of conspicuous amidst the brights.

I still have to clip a few dog ears. Due to time constraints and the difficulties I had with the SFCR, I'm going to give Bonnie's method a try on my second clue 3s. I'm completely bewildered as to why I was able to make perfect chevrons a few weeks ago with the SFCR, not a hitch or a glitch, and I really struggled with these.

Someone mentioned on Open Studio that Bonnie said clue 4 would be fun!

Siodach 12-14-2018 02:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a quick photo of my progress, before the next clue comes out. I'm doing about half-size.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605295[/ATTACH]
I did use the stitch and flip method to make my chevrons, since I wanted a full seam allowance, so the HSTs here are all too small. I will remake them sometime along the way. (These ones won't be wasted tho, cos if I trim them by a quarter of an inch they can go into my postage stamp project lol.)

You will also see that I've swapped out orange for browns, mostly cos I have a lot of browns lol.

Looking forward to the next clue....

Cheers, K

Sandra-P 12-14-2018 03:04 AM

Beautiful! Love your colors and that I bet you wont even miss the orange. Mine have the small seam allowances but I put my stitches per inch so small so hopefully they wont come out.

Macybaby 12-14-2018 05:56 AM

clue 4 is up and I'm very happy - I'm going to love doing this one!

though I've done so much peicing like this that I'm going to do it a different way.