Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

Calmclam 01-14-2020 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8349730)
I finished up my clue 6 geese by using the 4 method and the Tucker trimmer. I wish I had started with it because they came out really nice.
I did a lot of complaining for nothing!!!!

Being a newbie and, at times, very literal... Did you use the Tucker trimmer or the Wing Clipper? I haven't been able to find instructions for making flying geese with the TT but did find sets of 4 made with the Wing Clipper. Thanks.

AlvaStitcher 01-15-2020 05:29 AM

I got the incorrectly sewn FG taken apart yesterday and hope to make some progress today to put them back together with the correct colors today. But I am taking a friend for a chemo treatment and I don’t know how much time that will take. Grandson after school too. Might not find the time to finish those up.

Yay! I just checked Bonnie’s blog and no new clue today!

SusieQOH 01-15-2020 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Calmclam (Post 8351053)
Being a newbie and, at times, very literal... Did you use the Tucker trimmer or the Wing Clipper? I haven't been able to find instructions for making flying geese with the TT but did find sets of 4 made with the Wing Clipper. Thanks.

Sorry about that ! It's the Wing Clipper. Works great for the geese.

KalamaQuilts 01-15-2020 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher (Post 8351098)
Yay! I just checked Bonnie’s blog and no new clue today!

I'm happy too. One, because I like things to look forward to, and more to the point, I've only make one pinwheel set. I seem to be frozen with trepidation that I haven't a clue what I'm supposed to be doing.

So I've been making blocks from my first ever quilt kit. Working on #11 today. I'll make a deal with myself. If it starts snowing, a lovely view from my quilt room...I'll bring those baggies over to the sewing area and try to think again. My poor broken brain...

joe'smom 01-15-2020 09:59 AM

KalamaQ, can we help?

You're making up pairs of red/blue strip sets, and from these strip sets you're cutting a specified number of triangle pairs (blue strip on top if using Easy Angle, red strip on top if using Bonnie's ruler).

With each of these sets of triangle pairs, you're sewing half of them into HSTs. The other half you're leaving unsewn.

From these sewn HSTs, you're choosing your best contrasting pairs to make a specified number of pinwheels, keeping the unsewn triangles of that pairing with that pinwheel.

The remaining HSTs that weren't sewn into pinwheels you are keeping together with their matching unsewn triangle pairs.

KalamaQuilts 01-15-2020 12:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've saved photos from about 10 different places, but no, probably not ..
I think the root of my confusion is my color changes, even though I have my cheat sheet right in front of me, with my colors stapled to the paint chips.
Yes, it's snowing and yes, I've put them back away. But, I've made two 6" blocks from the kit I'm working on, Oh So Wonderful to be working with new fabric instead of my tired old stash. Which is also wonderful really, but I'm sick of working out of it exclusively since 2001.

joe'smom 01-15-2020 04:57 PM

I love those busy prints!

retiredteacher09 01-15-2020 05:41 PM

Very pretty blocks, KalamaQuilts.

wildyard 01-15-2020 05:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yay, I'm finally caught up!! All unstitching, re- pairing, sets complete and in order. What a relief that is. I was so determined not to let it get the best of me and it didn't!!!! I'm feeling very good about the whole thing and once again eager for the next clue!

I love my points on the pinwheels... attaching a close up I'm so proud of them. Also photos of clue 7 and clue 8 finished!

SusieQOH 01-15-2020 05:57 PM

Linda, your blocks are beautiful!
I am about to pair my pinwheels with the geese. I thought about what you said and am not sure if mine are going to match or not.
We'll see............