Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

ka9sdn 01-16-2020 04:50 AM

Am almost ready for the next step. Have found this quit to be the most confusing of all of hers I have done. Really had to think thru some of the clues--hope I did them right. Will see soon.

SusieQOH 01-16-2020 05:37 AM

1screech- As long as you've printed out all the clues you can work it as you can with your hand healing. I was under the impression that it was a "race" of sorts but it isn't!
Hope your healing comes along just fine. We're here to help you but in my case it would be the blind leading the blind haha. Some of my sets don't match!

Tallchick- that's what I did. I have greater accuracy when I trim down.

joe'smom 01-16-2020 07:27 AM

I recall somewhere at the beginning Bonnie making a comment that in retrospect was kind of a warning. She said something like, she needed to do something a little different this year to keep it interesting for her. As far as I'm concerned, whatever Bonnie needs to do to keep the mystery fires burning is fine with me; but I am sorry the clues were problematic for so many. I didn't see many admonitions about 'no whining' this year, so maybe that is an acknowledgement by Bonnie that in this case, whining would be justified, LOL.

I enjoy matched sets very much, and this is surely the ultimate matched set quilt! I guess the only question now is, will we have another clue tomorrow, or will we have the reveal?

QuiltingNinaSue 01-16-2020 07:55 AM

Thanks Joe's Mom, for helping me out when I was confused one the clues. I think I have it now, I think I can do it. Time will tell. No, I am not caught up in getting all the clues done, but anxious to see some finished quilts, knowing they will be lovely from this group!

Iceblossom 01-16-2020 07:59 AM

I'm thinking one more clue then the reveal. But I'm excited to put it all together. And I want more pictures from all no matter how long it takes to put it together. This thread will still be here.

I think some of the organizational issues we are facing by doing it as a mystery will be much easier for those doing it as a project.

We've had snow on the ground since Sunday. Yesterday was a cooking day, today will be sewing and more clean up and getting ready for Friday's clue. Maybe I'll start pretreating some of those brown hand dyes that I originally bought the bag for. I still have supplies for setting I picked up in that pre-dawn Walmart raid.

And I'll be playing with my new sweet puppies. Harley will even fetch and return a toy more than once! Usually my dogs think the game is "mommy throws the ball and then chases the dog". My Rio (an australian shepherd mix a few dogs ago), she had a strong work ethic and felt that after three times of her returning the ball to me, obviously I didn't want it and she wouldn't get it. I posted pictures here:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/person...s-t309160.html

happylab 01-16-2020 08:41 AM

Thank-you all for explaining the confusing set directions. Today, I plan to cut and sew some on steps 4, 6, 7, and hopefully cut 8. Then I will be all caught up (at least in the mental process). Still haven't figured out how to post pics on the new system. That's a later project.

My guess tomorrow, will be the "Big reveal." For 2 reasons; This will give everyone a month to print out the directions after the reveal. And two, numerous times we have had excess of several colors to do during the reveal like the borders, sashing and on point triangles. Or she may do what I call rapid clues, where she gives us a clue every day for a few days, (has been done in the past). That being said, I've learned to do her tops in colors I like, (like several have mentioned), so I will come back and finish the top. I really look forward to this time of year because of BHMQ. It's now a "for me," Christmas and New Year's tradition. This is the 5th one I've made and I have boxes of fabric to make 3 others from years prior.

Anyway that's my thoughts. We'll see how close I am tomorrow. happy sewing and quilting everyone!!

SusieQOH 01-16-2020 08:47 AM

Today when I woke up I asked my husband if it was Friday!!! I'm excited lol

happylab 01-16-2020 08:50 AM

Weather wise, it's the cold before the storm. We are below freezing all day and early, early tomorrow expect snow or freezing rain/drizzle. NWS states we have 6 hours of snow switching to freezing rain for 2 hours, switching to rain for a few hours and we are done. I say come on rain. At least it's not on Sunday, when the "Big Playoff Game between Chiefs and the Titans play. I will be glued to my TV set. Go Chiefs, Go Big Red!!!. Oh well back to cutting.

Belfrybat 01-16-2020 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish (Post 8350905)
...I have been so scared to trim down blocks this entire quilt and lose my little bit of wiggle room, but I am going to have to give up and just do it once we move into finished blocks instead of units. In my experience, trimming down units to exact size makes the final blocks a smidge too small. I am still trying to figure out how obsessively checking seam allowances to match unit size still gives me a block that is a sliver too big once I start joining them....but my piecing skills have improved so much this quilt.

I trim mine about 1/16" larger (I eye them, not actually measure). That way I have some fudge room in the assembly. Although I can stitch an accurate scant 1/4" seam, when I start to put blocks together the pieces somehow shrink a bit. This might not work for everyone, but it often saves the day for me. And if I do have to slightly trim the sub-blocks, I've learned it is easier to trim than to try and stretch blocks to fit.

origamigoldfish 01-16-2020 03:59 PM

I have been in my sewing space for a solid 8 hours today, and made so much headway! I'm not caught up, not by a long shot, but I made progress!

My extra raspberry fabric came in the mail, so I made my last 8 sets from clue 7, and added them to my pile for clue 8. Then I continued my work in 8, sewing FG and trimming down every other piece of fabric in each set. I vastly underestimated how long it would take me to do this...I'm still not quite done with the pinwheel set, and haven't started the FG for the non-pinwheel set. I finally quit a few minutes ago when I ran out of bobbin thread and leader/ender pieces at the same time. I still have to go back and add the raspberry sky on my last string of geese, press, and trim. I don't think I have the motivation to go back and finish them tonight. Once I finish those, I am more than halfway through step 8.

In the slog to keep up, I am getting kind of burnt out on triangles. I think I'm trying to do too much on my days off, and it is getting tedious. My winter vacation starts Sunday, and the forecast for the week is cold and miserable, so I'm planning on working in lots of short bursts and finally catching up.

I'm enjoying the color combinations, although I'm curious how the neutrals will play in and how much they will tone down some of the 'busy' in my colors.