Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

wildyard 01-15-2020 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8351339)
Linda, your blocks are beautiful!
I am about to pair my pinwheels with the geese. I thought about what you said and am not sure if mine are going to match or not.
We'll see............

Thanks, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and everyone else who are facing making the sets... I got confused several times and had to sort myself out. I'm pretty sure it didn't have to be as difficult as I made it. LOL

paintmejudy 01-15-2020 06:05 PM

Sorry to say, but I think that for this mystery, many of her weekly clues for the most part are very confusing to many. It is sad to see that so many have to do a lot of the froggy dance. This was supposed to be fun, not frustrating.

Sandra-P 01-15-2020 06:09 PM

I am definitely one of those who was confused with the clues. I ran out of some of the blue that I used for the pinwheels so my matching set will be off a bit on some. I have decided that it is ok. This will be my 5th Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt and by far the fussiest as to the matching up part of units. Can hardly wait for the reveal!

NZquilter 01-15-2020 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 8351345)
Sorry to say, but I think that for this mystery, many of her weekly clues for the most part are very confusing to many. It is sad to see that so many have to do a lot of the froggy dance. This was supposed to be fun, not frustrating.

I have to agree. Whilst I'm absolutely dying to see the reveal, I'm glad I sat this year's out. I'm sure it'll all make so much more sense once we see the entire quilt.

SusieQOH 01-15-2020 06:55 PM

I just paired my pinwheels with my geese and out of 25 sets only 2 matched. Argh!
I think I'm going to wait for the reveal to see if it's going to matter.

Since this is my first BH mystery I don't have any comparison to previous instructions.

AlvaStitcher 01-15-2020 07:07 PM

I have quite a few sets that do not match. Partly because I ran out of that particular fabric before knowing it needed to be in a matching set. The first FGs I made (although with wrong color) were almost perfect with very little trimming. However, when I took them apart and remade correctly, I found that because they were trimmed earlier they did not come out the right size most of the time. I will have to be careful when joining them to whatever they go with to do scant seams so as not to cut off points/corners.

It’s almost Friday!

1screech 01-15-2020 08:37 PM

bonnie Hunter Frolic Mystery

i havent been on QB for a month or so. Wow! so many changes to the new format. I have had surgery on my hand last week and typing will be sketchy. i have been doing Frolic and I was doing good keeping up with the cutting and most of the blocks. cutting has been rough, but i needed to cut so if there was a possibility of pushing fabric under the needle after the surgery. Maybe after the stitches get out. this is my first BH mystery and I have only done one other from Deb Heatherly Grid Girls. i loved all the colors and went for it. i wish i had seen all the discussions on here sooner. i am pretty excited for the reveal. so many beautiful fabric in all the quilts. just hope i will be able to continue soon. it is great to see comments of all the people working on Frolic. It would have made mine easier to figure out. i love all Bonnies quilts and look forward to seeing all your quilts being put together.

audsgirl 01-15-2020 08:39 PM

Congratulations, Linda! Your blocks look wonderful. I've gotten through clue #7 and hope to get #8 done tomorrow. I'm kind of disappointed if we are done with the green. I was hoping to spread it around a little more.

Leslie

tallchick 01-16-2020 03:55 AM

Done with clue 8 and all caught up! I agree that some of her directions are confusing but IMHO, most of the confusion comes from the techniques when using her specialty ruler. For myself, I’ve taken her directions for the traditional method, sized up, made my units, then trimmed down and I’m much happier with the results. I do take scrap fabric and try her methods for each block just to see the end results but as Deb Tucker says, “oversizing units and trimming down to size make me a better quilter.” I am really looking forward to the next clue and the reveal.

jmoore 01-16-2020 04:07 AM

Linda, your fabric sets look lovely and I can’t wait to see how your BH quilt unfolds.

Origamigoldfish, it sounds like your process is working nicely...taking it a little at a time.

I am still without my machine but have everything cut for Clue 7 so will have a lot of piecing to do for 7 and 8 when I get it back.
Can’t wait to see what tomorrow’s clue is.