Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/bonnie-hunters-2019-2020-frolic-mystery-t307758.html)

Sandra-P 11-14-2019 02:49 PM

Lynda in OH, glad you are on board with us! I find the more there is the better. So many different ideas from everyone, makes it interesting and fun. I will have to go to the Quilted Twins website to see their batiks. Welcome!

QuiltingNinaSue 11-14-2019 03:11 PM

I loved the third choice fo the quilted Twins had on their site, but I had already ordered so I decided on passing an another one. I will work out small quilts on each choices and see which I like the best. Or throw in some from my stash. So anxious to see what you all do on your blocks.

Carol in WI 11-14-2019 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz (Post 8327085)
Nice photo ladies. How neat to meet up with virtual friends.

I have decided on my colors. I've used fuscia and aqua in my last two quilts so I wanted to change things.Instead of aqua I am going to use the very light green (pear grunge) that I already had in my stash. I found the darker green polka dot on the sale rack and it will be my green. Instead of fuscia I am going to use orange.. Bonnie's photos of Texas wildfllowers was her inspiration and when I think of the Bluebells I always thinking of the orange Indian Paintbrush flowers too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]619722[/ATTACH]

Peggy, I always watch for your color choices as I've admired your mystery quilts over the past years. I love your colors and know it will look very striking. I'm still working on my color choices and am considering going with yardage vs. scraps this time.

happylab 11-14-2019 05:59 PM

I’m enjoying the color choices posted so far.

I have all my fabric washed, just need to iron next week and I’m ready for 1st step. I went with all fabric posted earlier, except I did exchange my background fabric out. All but the background fabric is from stash.

Pagzz 11-14-2019 08:18 PM

Thanks Carol! I am anxious for the clues to start so we can see the fabrics coming together!

joe'smom 11-14-2019 09:27 PM

So happy to see several more people joining in!

Teresa, I'm quite excited to see your floral quilt take shape!

Pagzz, beautiful fabrics!

ILoveToQuilt, when Bonnie says 'constant,' it does mean one fabric. I believe she mentioned that she was going constant just because she had the perfect amount in the perfect color, rather than it being a recommendation for a constant fabric, as she sometimes does.

Poor misunderstood Grand Illusion, LOL. It really was disliked by many. It was my first mystery, and such a fun experience that nothing could have ruined it for me.

I have my fabrics all pressed and ready to go. I'm intrigued by the presence/function of the aqua in this quilt. I think it's the first time since I've been participating that we've had a light fabric in addition to light neutrals. I probably went a little too light with my aquas, so they may not all contrast well with my neutrals.

SusieQOH 11-15-2019 05:45 AM

I love aqua. I've been using it a lot lately. I almost decided not to join because I heard it has a million pieces but I got all my fabrics pulled and now I want to start!
I don't have many scraps though. I'm using fat quarters and yardage from my stash.

Iceblossom 11-15-2019 05:59 AM

Don't back out SusieQOH -- you can do it! Most of what I'm using is also more in the fat quarter to yardage range as well.

I'm on day two on fixing the hand dyes. Got red and dark yesterday, working on medium and aqua today. The rest of the Parakeet will be worked on with the yellows and get some yellow over dye. While some did become so mottled as to read almost solid, I was very happy with how most of them came out.

Sort of a mean thing to do, I think donating these untreated fabrics but at least I was the one who got the bag and knows what to do. Typically you do make a lot of fabric and then only use the best pieces, so I was figuring from the start that these were the left overs. The dyer did use nice yardage and it is washing well. Prewashing is taking out the starch or whatever was in them. Still losing color after the pre-wash and boiling water dip, but I don't think I need two dips like I did with the un-prewashed darks yesterday. Will still need the vinegar/salt boil and the microwave treatment before getting washed yet again! But my color catchers are barely turning color in that final wash.

I have my biggest kettle on the stove with boiling water and my biggest pyrex bowl. I dip out the boiling water and let the pieces sit in it until the refilled kettle comes to boiling again, and then I rinse until clear. Today's pieces are somewhat large and I'm only getting two per pyrex bowl. I'll probably have two batches for the vinegar bath.

Then with what is in the wash now, probably three more after that... it's a day's worth of boiling but at least it's cheap and I'm still home without a car so now is the perfect time for it.

And I still haven't touched yellow yet! Nor the other half/two-thirds of the bag that will also need treatment.

SuziSew 11-15-2019 06:00 AM

I didn't go through all of the posts to see if this was mentioned but it just came in my e-mail. Fort Worth Fabrics has bundles for sale.

https://fortworthfabricstudio.com/pr...-mystery-quilt

SusieQOH 11-15-2019 06:07 AM

Iceblossom- I won't back out. But lately all I do is make things for my granddaughter. It's like I just can't stop! :D