Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

NZquilter 01-01-2018 07:15 PM

I was looking forward to seeing yours, Sewbiz, and I love it! The straight setting is certainly a winner too.

Jane, you're no turtule! :) Clue 7 done? I'm still plugging away at it, with a few of clue 5 still to press. I think you are keeping right up nicely. :)

Miss Rita, I like how calming yours looks. It makes me see Bonnie's secondary pattern with the sashing, which I somehow fail to really see in Bonnie's.

sewbizgirl 01-01-2018 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Podunk Princess (Post 7974358)
So here's what I have done so far. I chose not to be very scrappy this year. The only thing I may change up is the outer setting triangles....they might be neutral with the blue used as the binding instead. Will have to make that decision later.

I think your blue center will be beautiful with neutral setting triangles. I vote 'yes'! :thumbup:

DogHouseMom 01-01-2018 08:07 PM

This is where I am at, both physically and mentally ...

1/2 way through finishing both the coral and brown flying geese (as I was way behind, it was easier to both of these at the same time and together). The only clue/unit I've not made yet is the brown/blue half squares (or obviously the coral half square add-on).

then I see the reveal.

my initial knee-jerk reaction was that I loved it. I adore busy patterns that make great secondary patterns, which Bonnie is genius at creating. But the more I looked at it, the more I thought "too much coral". One other thing bothers my OCD brain ... the chevron sashing frames the blocks in one row differently than in the next row, and that's kind of weird to my brain.

for now I'm going to continue with the geese and keep an eye on the board here and the QVFB page for alternate ideas. One idea that came to me is to replace the brown/aqua/coral shaded 4patch unit with an aqua/brown, aqua/neutral, or brown/neutral half square unit. Not sure about the sashing, will my brain be able to cope with what looks to me as a reversal of units in alternating rows? But I've already made those units and I won't let them go to waste. Not sure. And I may just finish it as designed, after all my initial reaction was that I loved it (in complete reversal to Grand Illision when I made it and saw the reveal, hated it at first, but the more I studied it I fell in love with genius of the geometry- the colors not so much).

Oh well ... I will keep plugging along with my gaggle of geese, and keep my mind open. You ladies who are exploring different ideas are a font of inspiration!!

joe'smom 01-01-2018 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jane, your block looks beautiful, and your fabrics are wonderful.

Podunk, that is a very pleasing color combination, and love the matched neutrals.

Sewbizgirl, definitely yes on that backing!!

I'm feeling content to be finished with clue 6 tonight. Tomorrow, on to (or back to) the remainder of clue 2.

Jane Quilter 01-01-2018 09:07 PM

joe's mom, that is a lot of wonderful corals that I could never find.....got stuck with oranges. But I sure do love yours!

Macybaby 01-02-2018 06:17 AM

I sort of wish I'd have not been so diligent getting my blocks together - but not going to take them apart to rearrange them!

I think I'm liking the look of not putting them on the diagonal. With sewbiz's layout, I can see the secondary diamond shape formed by the sashing - this is one block I don't really care for turned on point.

I kind of like the outside aqua border, but I'd want to change something in the field to tie it in better. Otherwise it seems like the top is floating on top of another color (or on the lake, maybe that was the idea).

I am having a lot of fun playing with my alternate blocks - since I didn't get near as far with them and have more room for making changes.

DogHouseMom 01-02-2018 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 7974665)
I think I'm liking the look of not putting them on the diagonal. With sewbiz's layout, I can see the secondary diamond shape formed by the sashing - this is one block I don't really care for turned on point.

Kind of with you. Remembering back to when everyone was putting the revealed blocks together and showing multiple blocks laid out. In my mind it looked like the blocks were floating on a blue/brown plaid background and I kind of liked it. At that time I had thought that would be it with the chevrons and probably some additional units rounding out the border. I *may* go that route with mine.

NZquilter 01-02-2018 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After sleeping on it, I agree, Macybaby, the on point is probably not what I'm going to do either. I was doodling around this morning with some pieces. In the pic, I have it on point, but I think my secondary pattern shows more when straight. Nothing is pieced yet, so no commitment. I'm still chugging away on clue 7.

Jane Quilter 01-02-2018 06:53 AM

Now that I have several blocks completed: starched, pressed, and square trimmed, they look much better. Will still be mushing on after dentist appointment today. At least it is getting better, not worse.

tscweaves 01-02-2018 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Podunk Princess (Post 7974358)
So here's what I have done so far. I chose not to be very scrappy this year. The only thing I may change up is the outer setting triangles....they might be neutral with the blue used as the binding instead. Will have to make that decision later.

Wow, the layout really works well with your color choices. I think it looks better than with Bonnie's colors. That is going to be one gorgeous top!