Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

sewbizgirl 01-03-2018 02:46 PM

Kele, your color substitutions worked out really well! How lucky that you chose to sub purple for the brown. It works so well with your greens.

I really wish Bonnie had told us up front that the peach would be predominant in the quilt, with the brown being second most predominant... and very small bits of blue within the quilt center. I would have reversed my blue and brown. I guess that's part of the price of not seeing the quilt before you start.

NZquilter 01-03-2018 03:00 PM

I really wish Bonnie had told us up front that the peach would be predominant in the quilt, with the brown being second most predominant... and very small bits of blue within the quilt center. I would have reversed my blue and brown. I guess that's part of the price of not seeing the quilt before you start.

I totally agree! By the yardage we were given, peach and brown should have been pretty much even and blue the predominate color. And I do wanted a blue quilt :)

KalamaQuilts 01-03-2018 03:26 PM

while I think, I'm binding a 96X110 spread. It is a monster!
I really enjoy seeing everyone's take!

Kassaundra 01-03-2018 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay this is probably going to be the last pic for today, I got enough pieces done so the whole 9 patch star part can be seen.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586546[/ATTACH]

sewbizgirl 01-03-2018 04:26 PM

Nice Kass. I love what the rusty color does, in framing everything.

givio 01-03-2018 05:22 PM

Rob! Look at that great pattern your brown makes on your design wall, without the sashing! Oh! That's the first time I've see the blocks laid together in a picture. Very nice!

kele 01-03-2018 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So many great ideas here, and I appreciate reading everyone's helpful advice and tips.

Kassaundra -your layout with the nine patch star is really nice!

Instead of working on getting more blocks together, I tried to come up with a sashing idea I really like. This is the best so far. I like it but it doesn't create any kind of secondary pattern, so still working on it. As is, I'm afraid it's kind of boring. I'm going to set it on point and use the aqua setting triangles. I've been thinking I would use the chevron units as a first border around the aqua setting triangles, and then more pieced aqua around the chevrons as a final border. Hope that makes sense. This is just an idea, maybe not my final plan.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586550[/ATTACH]

Jane Quilter 01-03-2018 06:06 PM

[QUOTE=sewbizgirl;

I really wish Bonnie had told us up front that the peach would be predominant in the quilt, with the brown being second most predominant... and very small bits of blue within the quilt center. I would have reversed my blue and brown. I guess that's part of the price of not seeing the quilt before you start.[/QUOTE]

Sewbizbirl, you hit the nail on the head! That is the perfect "correction". Wish I had an E7 to see it visually. But in my head, and after seeing and listening to all the mystery quilters, I think this change would have made more of us comfortable.

sewbizgirl 01-03-2018 06:16 PM

Kele, I love your strip pieced neutral sashings! Genius. And definitely not boring, with all those cute prints you used.

Jane Quilter, hindsight is 20/20, isn't it? :D

I'm still sewing to make more blocks. I have the additional sashings made, and the shaded 4 patches and the 9 patches. Just finishing up with the geese and then I'll be able to assemble my additional blocks.

Macybaby 01-03-2018 06:45 PM

I've got my half size Mini done - 50 blocks set on point. This weekend I'll work on the other two sets. I'm motivated to get them done as I have my next project selected and I'm excited to get working on it.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps72oo6jiv.jpg

I used a lot of triangles to make the setting triangles. I had cut 100 of the blue/green for the shaded 4 patch, and then decided to use gold there. This way I used up most of those extra pieces.