Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

Bluebonnets 12-03-2017 08:58 PM

Congratulations on a successful operation fingertip, Sewbizgirl.

Loving all the little flying geese units. Really liking the pink and gray.

Sync 12-03-2017 09:34 PM

Kristi and Imanna, nice looking flying geese.

rryder 12-04-2017 05:33 AM

Sewbiz- glad to see the pinked up pinky and thanks for the suggestions, I’ve only got snippets of browns, not enogh all combined to come anywhere near to the amound needed! Funny how I’ve never noticed this hole in my stash before....LOL. Once I get my Clue 2’s done I think I’ll be able to find something that will work- am leaning toward your suggestion of a dark constant- there are a number of things in my stash that would work that way- or perhaps a variety of dark darks in place of the brown- might that work as long as there is a distinct difference in value between that and my aqua/melon selections?

Kristi- those warm peachy oranges are looking great! I’ve got Kimberly Einmo’s ruler too, but couldn’t remember how to use it, so started making mine using the draw a line method shown by Bonnie- very slow. My KE ruler doesn’t show a measurement for a goose that ends up the right length- closest it show is 2” x 4”- is there some other marking I should be looking at?

Imanna- I’m not usually a fan of pinks either, but I really like your combination of pinks and grays.

it’s a lotof fun seeing how everyone is progressing!

still haven’t started clue 1 yet- will do once I make a decision on dark darks (BH’s browns)

Rob

Kassaundra 12-04-2017 06:31 AM

I would tape a piece of paper cut to the correct size to the ruler as a size guide if the lines aren't the correct size.

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 7955918)
Sewbiz- glad to see the pinked up pinky and thanks for the suggestions, I’ve only got snippets of browns, not enogh all combined to come anywhere near to the amound needed! Funny how I’ve never noticed this hole in my stash before....LOL. Once I get my Clue 2’s done I think I’ll be able to find something that will work- am leaning toward your suggestion of a dark constant- there are a number of things in my stash that would work that way- or perhaps a variety of dark darks in place of the brown- might that work as long as there is a distinct difference in value between that and my aqua/melon selections?

Kristi- those warm peachy oranges are looking great! I’ve got Kimberly Einmo’s ruler too, but couldn’t remember how to use it, so started making mine using the draw a line method shown by Bonnie- very slow. My KE ruler doesn’t show a measurement for a goose that ends up the right length- closest it show is 2” x 4”- is there some other marking I should be looking at?

Imanna- I’m not usually a fan of pinks either, but I really like your combination of pinks and grays.

it’s a lotof fun seeing how everyone is progressing!

still haven’t started clue 1 yet- will do once I make a decision on dark darks (BH’s browns)

Rob

sewbizgirl 12-04-2017 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 7955918)

Thanks. Rob. And for your idea of various darks, I think that's interesting! They should work as long as they are a good dark contrast to everything else. If you do end up buying some brown, you don't necessarily have to go scrappy. One brown would make a nice constant.

lmanna, I really love your pink and gray geese.

rryder 12-04-2017 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all,
I finally got the first 25 geese finished doing flip and sew. I went back and read the instructions on my KE ruler (duh! why didn't I think of doing that before?) and will make the rest of the geese using that---much faster. anyway, here's a picture of the first 25. Still haven't done the first clue yet because I'm still dithering on brown/dark LOL.

Windblown 12-04-2017 09:03 AM

Everyone's FG are looking so pretty. I tried 2 different methods but my hand eye coordination is way off due to the vertigo. Wait a while longer, it's killing me.
Rob have you tried navy as your dark?
Klama you inspire me to try leaders and enders again.

tscweaves 12-04-2017 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am loving what I am seeing for clue 2! There is a wonderful variety that even though some are in the same color families, they are all different.

I did an experiment doing some geese with the sew & flip and then some with the 4@time, no-waste. The 4@time were so much more accurate, so I went back and did all of my gaggle that way. Finished up this morning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584795[/ATTACH]

It is cloudy out today, so the geese look more pinkish/redish than they really are. It always surprises me how the camera can change the look of what I see.

kristijoy 12-04-2017 09:09 AM

Rob: my ruler looks like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Wrights-4-I...y+einmo+rulers

I used the smallest size there of 1 1/2 by 3. Sounds like your ruler's smallest unit is 2x4....

Then I sliver trimmed them with Deb Tuckers Ruler: WIng Clipper 1: https://smile.amazon.com/Studio-180-...s=wing+clipper This ruler isn't necessary, but it sure made lining up the points easier!

Also...glad you liked my colors. The 'tangerine' is really fun!

kristijoy 12-04-2017 09:16 AM

Immana - I love your pink and grays! Your variety of interesting background prints is going to make a fabulous quilt. I'm also enjoying seeing your 'reversal' of the background...going dark instead of light. Can't wait to see how it will turn out!