Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

laurilli 01-08-2018 10:05 AM

I am at a snail's pace too, just getting to putting my blocks together. But I am not liking the sashings- thinking about using them for border also. Maybe I will use the coral for sashing and my brown bonus triangles for pinwheels as the cornerstones, I will see how it looks. Amybible I really like how you did the setting triangles, I was also thinking of doing something different in that area too- it just seem to big a chunk of aqua with all the other pieces so small, hope you don't mind if I steal your idea. I LOVE seeing all the pics such beautiful colors and work by everyone.

sewbizgirl 01-08-2018 10:19 AM

Sophia, what pretty pinks! Looks like you have 3 different block styles... I would mix them up in the quilt! No one would ever guess that you didn't do that on purpose. I like how the pink is going to form a lattice when you sew the blocks together.

sewbizgirl 01-08-2018 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by laurilli (Post 7979237)
I was also thinking of doing something different in that area too- it just seem to big a chunk of aqua with all the other pieces so small

I didn't like the big chunks of aqua, either, but I can see why she did it. She was trying to evoke a sunset floating on the lake.

Cheesehead 01-08-2018 01:13 PM

Sophia, after looking at the picture you posted, I intentionally turned my blocks the way that you have them.

Jan

QuilterMomma 01-08-2018 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did not do anything yesterday so mine is not competed. Here is one block totally done. I just have to assemble my blocks. My husband likes it. I am going a little bit controlled on the placement of fabrics, but otherwise all is scraps. Now to get the rest done. [ATTACH=CONFIG]586784[/ATTACH]

NZquilter 01-08-2018 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can see why you husband likes it, QuilterMomma. Your colors and fabric prints are lovely!

Here's mine, slowly but surely coming along. Unfortunately our good camera isn't working and these mobile device cameras aren't very good, thus the washed color look. It's much more vibrant in person. I'm hoping the blue sashing looks like lattice behind the blocks.

sophia 01-08-2018 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cheesehead (Post 7979318)
Sophia, after looking at the picture you posted, I intentionally turned my blocks the way that you have them.

Jan

I like it this way too. it was a mistake to began with. I just did not like the corals. I order my fabric on line and got a bundle but some of the corals where orange like Halloween. I love to make quilts they keep my brain active have really enjoyed this mystery everyones tops or just beautiful

Mariposa 01-08-2018 03:51 PM

Wow ladies! So fun to see all the creativity flowing in your ORL quilts!!!

JeanieG 01-08-2018 03:55 PM

QuilterMomma - love your colors and placement! Going to be beautiful!

NZquilter - I really like your blue sashing, too much coral for me too, but not far enough along to decide what to do about it.

sewbizgirl 01-08-2018 04:30 PM

Quiltermomma, love the block!

NZ, I am really liking that blue sashing. I think it's going to be lovely. Looks like you decided to keep playing with your quilt for a while. (wink).

Ok, so I had a bad attitude about my zigzag border not fitting yesterday.... sorry. Today I have come to realize that it will only fit when you have odd numbers of both blocks across and rows, (because of the sashings). My layout is 5 x 6 so the borders fit on the "5 side", but not on the "6 side". I could just bag it and do something funky and ugly at the ends, but I really do want the ribbon to flow around the corners gracefully. So... came to realize I need another row of 5 blocks and sashings, to get my layout up to 5x7. Back to the drawing board for 5 more blocks and 12 more sashings!! Whaaaaaahh! Thought I was nearly done.... I can't complain, tho, because so many are just starting their Ringo Lake quilts. I'll be in good company.