Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

Battle Axe 11-26-2017 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584349[/ATTACH]I've got 20 of these finished. I feel I need to change the fabrics for the rest of them.

I wasn't into quilts in the 80's and 90's. That was several lifetimes ago.

KalamaQuilts 11-26-2017 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
quiltsRfun. I"m using the same colors as you, mostly 1800's reproductions.

I'm using my 1940 White Rotary sewing machine, totally different sound

quiltsRfun 11-26-2017 09:56 AM

Kalama, I guess great minds think alike. :) I love your sewing setup. I don't have much of a view where I work.

NZquilter 11-26-2017 10:09 AM

Theresa, I think your variety of fabrics is great!

Peggy, so you are using more of a blue tone too then? Yours look like how I am hoping mine with turn out, but I think my blues are a little lighter.

BattleAxe, I agree, it's depressing to see such hard work sell for no more than the cost of the bare fabrics. I've been to a couple of local Amish auctions and people bid on the quilts like its a thrift store price. After watching my first auction like that I decided I'll definitely never try to sell my quilts. Gifting them is so much more rewarding than money anyway:)

KalamaQuilts, I'm using my 1954 Singer 15-91 for both piecing and quilting. I love the beautiful stitches it makes!

givio 11-26-2017 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
tcweaves, On the last BHMQ I cut squares instead of strips, and mixed my fabrics up a lot because of it. It was time consuming sewing together individual squares to make a 4-patch instead of sewing a couple of strips, then doing subcuts. But all my 4-patches were different that way. I didn't want to look around the quilt and see the same two pieces of fabric together 20 times. lol I don't think it was worth the time though.

Windblown, I like how your block looks calm. :-) I was thinking about doing navy instead of brown, but in the end decided to reverse the brown and neutral.

Macybaby, No blue? I maybe missed your color selection pic?

BattleAxe, if you remember, let me know when is the next auction? My sister and I might like an outing like that.

suz1, Wow, that's gonna have a lot to look at! :-)

QRF, I thought the same. BH was using a neutral, two medium hues and one dark hue. You've mixed it up with more daring than I did! I didn't want to make a neutral background again. I'm using the coral for my background. See pic.

Hardly worth getting the sewing machine out for these. (Doing a half size). Oh, wait! My sewing machine was already out! lol ...It's hardly worth heating up the iron.

Pagzz 11-26-2017 10:41 AM

my turquoise fabrics are blue toned. I bought fat quarter bundles from Quilted Twins. Thanks to whoever suggested it.

Regarding the auction being depressing. Let's decide if we ever win the lottery that we will pay it forward by bidding and buying and sharing quilts.

Windblown 11-26-2017 11:25 AM

Everyone's sweet little 9 patches are so cute. Watching the different color combos and placement make it so exciting.
I chose my colors because the first thing I notice about a quilt is color, then pattern. They are the colors I saw when looking a Bonnies photo of Ringo lake.

Thank goodness for this board, it lets me think about other things. I found my Mom, who is 93 on the floor at her house this AM. 9:30. Bless her she had fallen at 10:00 last night. Had crawled all over the house, did not want to call anyone because it was too late at night. She has been doing so well, she still drives and goes to senior exercise class twice a week. Then she makes such a bad judgment call, we wonder if we are doing the right thing by letting her be so independent. I live next door and my brother 4 blocks away, we are right here.

Battle Axe 11-26-2017 11:26 AM

There are lots of folks lined up for my lottery winnings.

The Amish around here think I am rich, maybe because I am really a little Miss Sunshine and always happy. So when I sold the pizza parlor, they wanted to know what I did with the money. Truth be told...I owed it and I paid my debts. But I told them that I buried it in the yard. Actually I bought flowers and planted them. They were all so willing to come over and help me find that $$. It's gone.

lmanna 11-26-2017 11:29 AM

Ok... I'm in. Never done a mystery quilt before. This is so very far outside my comfort zone but will be a good challenge to my normal type A personality.

I'm switching colors up a bit to use stash fabrics only.

Bonnie's neutrals = my grays
Bonnie's brown = my neutrals
Bonnie's coral = my yellow
Bonnie's aqua = my aqua

I'm only making half the blocks now. If I love it at the reveal then I will make the other half.

Battle Axe 11-26-2017 11:29 AM

There are devices that you can get that she has to be standing and operating it or it will call the authorities. Check with your council on aging.

We had one from the hospital for a grandma we knew. It would mis-fire occasionally, but there are ways to trick the stubborn into notifying loved ones.