Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

joe'smom 11-26-2017 01:16 PM

I'm so sorry about your Mom, Windblown. I can't believe she didn't call! Was she injured?

I like those fabrics together, givio!

Kassaundra 11-26-2017 01:27 PM

Windblown, I am sorry for the circumstance of this morning, but relieved she wasn't seriously harmed. Battleaxe is right I would strongly suggest a medical alert system. I interact w/ elderly and the families in a medical setting all the time and was faced w/ this dilemma in my personal life w/ my Gma (raised me so my mother). Independence is highly valued by them and the value and quality it brings to the time they have left is irreplaceable. I see the aftermath when that is taken away and the elderly person was not ready. In my opinion it is worth some risk, keeping them as independent as possible as long as possible. Assisted living is a great option for some. For those who have their mind and mobility. It provides a social outlet, independent apartment living w/ some extras, like medical alert options built into the home. Some level of medical professional interaction on a daily basis ect. I would suggest having a real heart to heart discussion w/ siblings and her to make sure of what everyone expects from the time that is left, and what modifications can be made to make that possible

Originally Posted by Windblown (Post 7951038)
Everyone's sweet little 9 patches are so cute. Watching the different color combos and placement make it so exciting.
I chose my colors because the first thing I notice about a quilt is color, then pattern. They are the colors I saw when looking a Bonnies photo of Ringo lake.

Thank goodness for this board, it lets me think about other things. I found my Mom, who is 93 on the floor at her house this AM. 9:30. Bless her she had fallen at 10:00 last night. Had crawled all over the house, did not want to call anyone because it was too late at night. She has been doing so well, she still drives and goes to senior exercise class twice a week. Then she makes such a bad judgment call, we wonder if we are doing the right thing by letting her be so independent. I live next door and my brother 4 blocks away, we are right here.

Blue Bell 11-26-2017 01:32 PM

quiltsRfun-----love your color combination.

NZquilter 11-26-2017 01:36 PM

Oh my, Windblown, that must have been frightening indeed. I'm sorry for you and the stress it's causing you.

Givio, that is going to be a stunning quilt!

It's so much fun watching everyone's choices come out. The differnt color schemes are inspiring! Last year I changed up the colors because of what I had in my stash, but this year Bonnie's color palate worked with what I have.

I think the 9-patches are so cute when they are this tiny!

Kassaundra 11-26-2017 01:51 PM

It is going to be so much fun seeing everyone's colors coming together. All the 9 patches are looking great.

Man O' man are the angry quilting police out in full force on the FB page, you would think choosing to spin seams was a capital offense!

givio 11-26-2017 02:01 PM

Windblown, It's hard to say whether from your mother's point of view it was bad judgement for her to wait for you to come to her aid, or if it's only from your own point of view that she had bad judgement. Sometimes peace of mind is very important. I think I might have stayed on the floor all night rather than call my son to come help. Mothers sometimes choose strange things. Your mother is really blessed to have the health she has, her independence, and her children nearby. That could be why she's 93.

The average life expectancy in assisted living homes is 2 years.

NZquilter 11-26-2017 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7951099)
It is going to be so much fun seeing everyone's colors coming together. All the 9 patches are looking great.

Man O' man are the angry quilting police out in full force on the FB page, you would think choosing to spin seams was a capital offense!

Haha, that's too funny! That almost makes me want to spin my seams even more. I'm a rebel at heart :)

Battle Axe 11-26-2017 02:19 PM

Quilt Police on the prowl? Oh dear. I'm afraid to look.

GramE 11-26-2017 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter (Post 7951111)
Haha, that's too funny! That almost makes me want to spin my seams even more. I'm a rebel at heart :)

NZ, I’m a hand sewer and I never stitch to the end so I can always spin my seams! I get frustrated on the machine but I never spin when machining. I’m a lazy ironer too! I let it go where it wants to go usually.

Macybaby 11-26-2017 03:35 PM

Well, I spun the half size blocks! I also clip my seams so I can nest them, and do a bunch of other stuff that is frowned upon. But it's all techniques that are normal in garment construction. I figure an article of clothing is probably going to see more stress on the seams than any quilt.