Quilt Challenge!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:18 PM

Way pretty quilts everyone!!! Such wonderful talent you all have!! I thought I'd let y'all know, I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting the little preemie gal that recieved the redwork quilt. When I took it to the ladies group that sew for the NICU I had wanted it to go to, they refused it. Stating that it wasn't "sewn properly" whatever that means LOL But, one of the ladies found me afterwards and asked if she could give it to a gal who had just delivered a preemie, and was in great need of items for the baby. I was thrilled to death. Well, at our local PTO sponsored Easter Egg hunt said lady came to me and said..."theres the baby that got the quilt." I got to coo at her and even got to hold her for a second. Mama doesn't know who the quilt came from, which is how I prefer it to be, but you can bet that sweet little angel will be getting more stuff in the near future!! I'll just give the items to the same sweet lady for delivery. I'm thinking a new Spring outfit is in order soon :D
Old 03-25-2008, 05:06 PM

Hi Connie:
Welcome back. The Hanky Panky quilt is one we did in a quilt class I took in February. The original pattern is by Darlene Zimmerman/Rachel Shalburne. I don't know which book it came out of but I bet it's from an old book or magazine from years back. I'm glad you like my version. It was fun to do and a quick and easy one. I'll try to find out what book the pattern came out of but it won't be for awhile as my quilt teacher is touring the world right now and won't be back until the end of April.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:19 AM

I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting the little preemie gal that recieved the redwork quilt. When I took it to the ladies group that sew for the NICU I had wanted it to go to, they refused it. Stating that it wasn't "sewn properly" whatever that means LOL But, one of the ladies found me afterwards and asked if she could give it to a gal who had just delivered a preemie, and was in great need of items for the baby. I was thrilled to death.
What a neat story! God does work in mysterious ways. :D I bet they have size restrictions or requirements for quilts for NICU. I don't know but when I helped make a quilt for a Hospice it needed to be a certain size so that it would fit their hospital beds.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:34 AM

jbsstrawberry:
How great that you were able to meet the little person who got your quilt. Years ago when I was working my agency was asked to find sewers to make Linus quilts and a metro hospital with a neo-natal clinic needed premie baby blankets. You are right everyone, the blanket sizes were a big deal but also for the premies, they didn't want anything that had seems in the body of the blanket where the babies would lay since a premie is sometimes so fragile, even the seams in a blanket bruise or break the skin tissue. They also requested the premie blankets all be very, very soft cotton fabric ONLY; that it be washed before the item is given to get all the sizing. dyes and chemicals out of the fabric and tht NO bright, dark colors be used???? Don't know why the color mattered but it did.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry
Way pretty quilts everyone!!! Such wonderful talent you all have!! I thought I'd let y'all know, I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting the little preemie gal that recieved the redwork quilt. When I took it to the ladies group that sew for the NICU I had wanted it to go to, they refused it. Stating that it wasn't "sewn properly" whatever that means LOL But, one of the ladies found me afterwards and asked if she could give it to a gal who had just delivered a preemie, and was in great need of items for the baby. I was thrilled to death. Well, at our local PTO sponsored Easter Egg hunt said lady came to me and said..."theres the baby that got the quilt." I got to coo at her and even got to hold her for a second. Mama doesn't know who the quilt came from, which is how I prefer it to be, but you can bet that sweet little angel will be getting more stuff in the near future!! I'll just give the items to the same sweet lady for delivery. I'm thinking a new Spring outfit is in order soon :D
What a sweet story!
Ya know...the NICU lost out on something good, but the little angel that got the quilt has a BIG angel to help her out now.

I was asked to make a few "baby" quilts for the local hospital. Ok, not a problem. Used scraps I had, made sure they were all in compliance with measurements, cleanliness and whatever else they wanted. I made 4 of them. They would only take 3. WHY? Because one of them didn't fold exactly right. It was off about 1/2 inch. When I had noticed this, I didn't have time to take it apart/cut and fix it. I just batted/backed and binded/quilted the thing. It was cute! At least I thought it was. They didn't like it because it didn't fold right. Oh well, their loss. I gave the little quilt to my neighbor who had her baby a couple months before. She LOVED it! Needless to say, I wouldn't make any more quilts for the hospital. They even called me (the same lady who refused the 1 quilt) and asked if I would make a few more. NOPE!!!
Nobody is perfect and neither are ANY of my quilts. There is always a flaw in there somewhere. I may notice it, but other may not, but this quilt snob found it. UGH!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:42 PM

TirnHi:
Good for you for making the quilt, perfect or imperfect and for giving it to someone who would love it. You are right, the Quilt Snob is just that.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:05 AM

And she had some nerve calling and asking if you would make more.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by mary705
And she had some nerve calling and asking if you would make more.
I know, huh?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I was asked to make a few "baby" quilts for the local hospital. Ok, not a problem. Used scraps I had, made sure they were all in compliance with measurements, cleanliness and whatever else they wanted. I made 4 of them. They would only take 3. WHY? Because one of them didn't fold exactly right. It was off about 1/2 inch. When I had noticed this, I didn't have time to take it apart/cut and fix it. I just batted/backed and binded/quilted the thing. It was cute! At least I thought it was. They didn't like it because it didn't fold right. Oh well, their loss. I gave the little quilt to my neighbor who had her baby a couple months before. She LOVED it! Needless to say, I wouldn't make any more quilts for the hospital. They even called me (the same lady who refused the 1 quilt) and asked if I would make a few more. NOPE!!!
Nobody is perfect and neither are ANY of my quilts. There is always a flaw in there somewhere. I may notice it, but other may not, but this quilt snob found it. UGH!
I mean really!!! is that necessary!! You made these quilts out of the kindness of your heart and they got all prissy over a 1/2" and didn't fold right!! sorry but that just screams SNOB!!!
At least that 4th quilt went to a very appreciative Mum for her new baby.

I find the quilters guild here in St. John's are HUGE quilter snobs and things have to be EXACTELY their way or its no good.. I cant' handle that! I like to do things my way, and if I'm off a bit, hey I'm human... I'm not perfect. I read an interesting article a few years ago about the Amish quilters. When you look at their work, to us it looks absolutely perfect!! But did you know that these women intentionally make a flaw in each project? They believe the only perfect being in the world is God. We may never see that flaw ourselves, but they know its there... amazing isn't it!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:04 AM

ALL my quilts have a flaw in them. Just the way it is.
I think I've had (other than baby quilts) maybe 3 or 4 queen ones that folded EXACTLY in half, but most of them would have a crooked stitch, a block that might be off center or something like that. Nothing that's TOO noticable, but I know it's there. I usually notice it AFTER I have it 3/4 done or all the way done. I just leave it. Have never had anyone other than the "quilt snobs" that I have encountered say anything about these things.
The quilt I am making now has a flaw in it. I worked around it and it looks fine. I even showed it to one of the ladies that wants to bid on it. It's going to an auction and she didn't even notice the flaw. So, if she didn't see it, and she's one of those that's REALLY picky, then I don't see anyone else finding it unless it's being scrutinized.