Quilt Challenge!

Old 03-23-2008, 08:22 AM

AnnMarie:
Our quilt group made and donated over 50 quilts to our local Protective Services Dept. for foster kids in the year 2007...I think we made and gave 47 in 2006. And about the same numbers each year for the past 7 or 8 years. We have also made quilts for the Vet's home and for the local nursing homes. Several each year have gone to the Linus Program and if we hear of poor struggling families in need we'll make each family member a quilt. We've also made lots of small 20 by 20 inch quilts for our local animal rescue shelter so the animals have something warm to lay on while they are in the shelter. When the animal is adopted, the quilt goes to the new home with the animal. We love doing this and having a purpose for each item we make kinda inspires us to keep makin! We have the opportunity to try new patterns, new techniques and practice our quilting and the item we practiced on is loved and is always well used. What more could we ask for? Along with the quilts for the foster kids we make a stuff bag for each quilt so they have "luggage" when and if they have to move. Historically these kids' stuff was packed in the black garbage bags and years ago one little guy about 12 years old told his worker something like "you pack garbage in garbage bags!" Isn't that sad? We try to have lots of bags on hand so no kid is moved in a garbage bag.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:28 AM

Pam:
I just checked out the Maverick Star and think I might give it a try. Thanks for the referral webpage...been there before but had forgotten about it.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:45 PM

[quote=Feathers]
Originally Posted by Betty Ruth

Betty Ruth:
"It's running over???"....you have only 1 Rubbermaide scrap tub ? Poor girl, you are scrap deficient and need to get busy .....I have 15 tubs in my sewing room full of scraps and I love every thread! I know, I know, there is probably some mental illness associated with 15 tubs of scraps but I won't tell if you won't! :lol: :roll:
15 TUBS!! good heavens!!! how big is that sewing room of yours girl!!

I started my crumb quilt blocks yesterday and they are sooooooooo addictive to make!! I'm having so much fun making them!! I have a huge bag that I stuffed full of scraps and I still have a load in my stash room. Now I will be asking all my students for their little pieces they cut off and are about to throw out!!! I told my mum to hang on to all her scraps too and will mention it to my other sewing buddies this Thursday night!! I'm having a ball with crumb quilts!
Old 03-23-2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stashbuster/

I found this link - it is for Stashbuster Quilts - and they are also having a challenge to use only your scraps to make quilts (for one year!)

I know we all want to continue to support the fabric industry, and our challenge is just to make one quilt from scraps during 2008. I know I will continue to buy fabrics!

Anyway, this site for trinity quilts is a place you can show off your scrap quilt photos if you choose to join.

Looking forward to seeing all your 2008 Scrap Quilt Challenge photos posted here!
Somehow I think it will be very difficult for me to NOT buy fabric for a full year. In fact I KNOW it couldn't happen. I am addicted to fabrics to no end, and if I saw a piece that I absolutely loved, i would HATE to walk by and not purchase it! that would be blasphemy!!! I couldn't live with myself if I had to walk by a piece I needed to fondle and not buy!! It would KILL me!! So Nope not even going to join that site!! LOL
Old 03-23-2008, 03:43 PM

I'm with you, Aggi...I can't pass up a piece of fabric that I love. I HAVE to buy it.

My quilt room is about a large bedroom that has been changed over to a sewing/office room. One of these days I'll straighten things up and take a picture and put it on the sewing room thread but that's not going to be today! :lol: It's such a mess today because I've been tearing through my stash looking for this ONE piece of fabric that I know i have but haven't laid hands on it yet. :roll:
Old 03-23-2008, 05:08 PM

I've been saving my scraps for years. I now have enough different fabs so I've been working on a double wedding ring
Old 03-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Here are a few of my rings
Attached Thumbnails attachment-2348.jpe   attachment-2353.jpe   attachment-2379.jpe  
Old 03-24-2008, 07:38 AM

Very Nice Debbie! Can't wait to see it finished! How big are you making it?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:31 PM

My bed is queen size. It'll probably take me 2 years to complete as I have just started a couple of weeks ago. I don't get to work on it every day as I still have other projects going on that need to be finished.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:05 AM

Feathers,
I just read your comment about my scrap quilt. You have figured out what I did to a T. It was fun to do but I was glad when it was done.

I've been away quilting and working and have just gotten back on line. There is a lot of reading to catch up on everything. I have just looked at your quilt challenge quilts and all three are beautiful! I love the hanky panky quilt. The colors are so bright and full of spring. Where can I get the pattern for it?

Connie