Quilt Challenge!

Old 12-06-2009, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
A lot of us are concerned about the lack of shops selling fabrics, and the prices in general, so I have a challenge for everyone. Let's see how many of us can make a quilt from just our scraps and small stash pieces within the next year. Backing is up to you whether you purchase or are really thrifty/creative with what you already have!

The thinking here is to be like the women who quilted in pioneer days. They had no shops nearby and had to save worn out shirts and dresses or feedsacks to make a quilt. We can do that too!

You quilters are tooo much.. I just love this.. I have been "lost" in the posts from this 'challenge' for the past 30 minutes... and just for your information.. I do think this is an awesome challenge but........ My mom made almost nothing but scrappy quilts and she has been gone for 15 yrs and I still have some fabric from her stash LOLOL.. so if you are doing this in hopes of "downsizing" your scrap stash.. mmmm.. you may get a surprise.!
I am definitely in on this challenge though.. so much fun!!!
Happy quilting !!
Fannie
For inspiration, please visit www.quiltville.com and read her tips on scrap sorting and see the amazing quilts she has made from them! It is an awesome website.

If you don't already have a scrap drawer, start one! Every time you trim off ends, square up your fabric, etc, put the strips and pieces into light, dark and medium assortments. I got a lot of satisfaction from going through my scraps and making them organized. Mine are in shoe boxes and ziplocs for now. I will have to get the clear storage drawer set up that Bonnie has on her website.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with by next Christmas!

Hi, Ya'll. This is Patrice, here. Just wanted to explain why I had the "nerve" to post this to the top with a sticky so it won't move from Page 1. Just so happens, somebody who thinks this is a super idea asked me to find a way to make sure everybody knows about it. This was the best way I could think of to do that.
:thumbup: ;) :thumbup:
Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 PM

Sorry, somehow my response got "stuck' in the middle of quiltmaker 101 post.. here is mine alone I hope..

You quilters are tooo much.. I just love this.. I have been "lost" in the posts from this 'challenge' for the past 30 minutes... and just for your information.. I do think this is an awesome challenge but........ My mom made almost nothing but scrappy quilts and she has been gone for 15 yrs and I still have some fabric from her stash LOLOL.. so if you are doing this in hopes of "downsizing" your scrap stash.. mmmm.. you may get a surprise.!
I am definitely in on this challenge though.. so much fun!!!
Happy quilting !!
Fannie
Old 12-09-2009, 02:40 PM

i'm so up for this challenge!! i've been needing to clean out my stash and scraps for awhile now so this will be perfect! i'll join in the fun starting in january!! what a great way to clean out our sewing rooms
Old 12-10-2009, 04:33 AM

I think it is an old post with an ongoing challenge. It sounds good to me. I have one I just finished up I am donating to the local homeless shelter. They will auction it off in the Spring. Then they buy food with the proceeds.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 AM

I have tried several methods of using scraps, but since I have Adult ADD none have worked until now. What I do is sew together all the scraps left over from a quilt and then store the piece. Once I have enough pieces to put together to make a quilt I do.

And the result is a one of a kind TRUELY Crazy Quilt. Everyone loves them. Unbelieveable to me because there is absolutely NO pattern to them.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:49 PM

I like it! I keep telling myself to make quilts out of my scraps. Time to get motivated!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:34 PM

YA I can see all them quilters coming after you with needle an thread ready to sew you to the ground were you stand.
just far enough away from any more computers or phones to keep you from getting someone to help you out of your troubles that you got your self into.lol
Old 12-11-2009, 09:40 AM

I am in also... Last week I sorted all my scraps by light, medium and dark - have been thinking about what to make since money is real tight for us right now. I have looked at quiltville.com for a while now also, but I just want to sew it all together without having a main fabric. And some of my pieces are real small or thin. Does that matter? Also, can you just use scraps for the back, wouldn't that be kind of a reversible quilt? Don't know, but will start using scraps next month. Have lap quilt (pieced about 2 years ago) that I am quilting on now.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:50 AM

I'm in! I'll put it on my to do list for next year!
Rose
Old 12-11-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
I think it is an old post with an ongoing challenge. It sounds good to me. I have one I just finished up I am donating to the local homeless shelter. They will auction it off in the Spring. Then they buy food with the proceeds.
What a grand idea.. I will have to contact our local folks here & see if they'd like to do that.. I can donate the quilts I do too.