Quilt Challenge!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
A lot of us are concerned about the lack of shops selling fabrics, and the prices in general, so I have a challenge for everyone. Let's see how many of us can make a quilt from just our scraps and small stash pieces within the next year. Backing is up to you whether you purchase or are really thrifty/creative with what you already have!

The thinking here is to be like the women who quilted in pioneer days. They had no shops nearby and had to save worn out shirts and dresses or feedsacks to make a quilt. We can do that too!

For inspiration, please visit www.quiltville.com and read her tips on scrap sorting and see the amazing quilts she has made from them! It is an awesome website.

If you don't already have a scrap drawer, start one! Every time you trim off ends, square up your fabric, etc, put the strips and pieces into light, dark and medium assortments. I got a lot of satisfaction from going through my scraps and making them organized. Mine are in shoe boxes and ziplocs for now. I will have to get the clear storage drawer set up that Bonnie has on her website.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with by next Christmas!

Hi, Ya'll. This is Patrice, here. Just wanted to explain why I had the "nerve" to post this to the top with a sticky so it won't move from Page 1. Just so happens, somebody who thinks this is a super idea asked me to find a way to make sure everybody knows about it. This was the best way I could think of to do that.
I would like to be in this too. I like using scraps
YTQ
Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 PM

If you guys have any selvages you want to get rid of, PM me.
They need to be at least 1 1/2" wide.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 AM

That sounds good but got a question. What if none of the fabrics match. Whe if you have difereent designs and colors of fabric. Will it still look okay anhow. Just wondered beause I hav multicolors and prints that do not match at all. Thanks,
JOY
Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 AM

i don"t think it has to match if you make a crazy quilt i have seen a lot of old quilts with a lot of different textures and designs the original quilts were from scraps from old cloths to keep warm i have a lot of polyester that were in the piles of fabric at an auction i have had put it aside until my friends mom showed me one that had every thing in it shape and size did not mater either. i am going to make one next
mema
Old 02-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Ida

when my mother-in-law was living, she would make scrap quilts one after the other, and they were donated to a homeless shelter in Denver
Old 02-16-2010, 02:13 PM

Here's my latest "stash" busters, three baby girl quilts (two are for gifts for two little baby girls due into our extended family - one in April and and one in May). Love this idea of just "shopping" in my own sewing room and stash. It's liberating!

Baby Log Cabin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9529[/ATTACH]

Baby Can't Cut It
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9530[/ATTACH]

Nursery Rhymes & Polka Dots
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9531[/ATTACH]

QAYGo Table Runner Front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9532[/ATTACH]

QAYGo Table Runner Back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10064[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-9529.jpe   attachment-9530.jpe   attachment-9531.jpe   attachment-9532.jpe   attachment-10064.jpe  

Old 02-16-2010, 03:12 PM

I love the beautiful bright colors in the little girl quilts. :D
Old 02-17-2010, 04:11 AM

I love your baby quilts, especially the first one; so bright and cheerful!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 AM

i love eye catching quilts they are very nice i think i will dig-out my scraps now lol

meme
Old 02-18-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
HI, I discovered quiltville.com several months ago and have made two of her quilts using my scraps. I became financially strapped a few months ago and started using my surplus fabric without buying any more. So far I have made a Pineapple Blossoms from that site using only my Christmas Fabric. Pc's that were not big enough for a "matched" quilt. It turned out great. Then I did a scrappy half sq. triangle quilt. Love it. Will use them for Christmas Presents. so it is possible to use just scraps. marge PS. I still haven't used all my scraps up.
Just went on this site....Loving it...Thanks for posting.