Quilt Challenge!

Old 05-30-2010, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by winterswisper
Oh dear! Is this really an issue?? I have the exact opposite problem! I can't throw even the smallest piece of fabric away and I have tons of scraps and strings and crumbs! I keep making quilts for shelters - human and pet - and I never get to making quilts from my new fabric!!

It is as though with each new scrappy quilt I make, I end up with even more scraps!! I just vowed to make my next quilt out of some of my new, untouched fabric because I am always buying new fabric and not using it! I just can't resist buying it but my scraps have a hold on me!! I love doing QAYG (quilt as you go) quilts with my scraps and string quilts too and patchwork quilts are great for using up your one and two inchers!

I've done QG table runners, but not quilts. I would love to have a pattern for one. Would you write here and tell us what pattern you use.

Thanks, MaryJane

Yes, I am a fabric-holic I confess...

Done rambling for now! Sorry, your post just got me going!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:18 AM

Here are 2 tutorials I found when learning the QAYG method I use for my scrappy quilts.

http://sewmanyquiltstoolittletime.bl...al-part-2.html

http://quiltingtwin.blogspot.com/200...yg-blocks.html

Here is a video of the sashing method in case you are a person who likes to hear and see it. I have MS and don't learn things as easily as I used to and videos really help me.

Marguerita McManus, who authored "Crazy Shortcut Quilts" did a video to help me along as I learned her method. It was so kind of her. I will be very glad if I can help someone here by sharing this info - sort of 'paying it forward' which I am a big fan of.

http://www.graspr.com/videos/Quilt-a...other-Method-1

Happy Quilting! :wink:
Old 05-30-2010, 06:51 AM

WINTERSWISPER.........

thanks so much.I copied them and will study them when I am all alone..today is going to be a busy one..but a good one. Most of the family will be here enjoying a holiday fare.

thanks again...MaryJane
Old 05-30-2010, 10:07 AM

You are most welcome. Enjoy this special holiday with thoughts of all those serving our country to keep us safe.

winterswisper
Old 05-31-2010, 01:43 PM

I have already made about 50 for Linus using scraps - even used some of Bonnies patterns.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:06 AM

so far i have made two quilts just using scraps and now i am working on a bow tie quilt
Old 06-05-2010, 02:33 AM

I have made a few scrap quilts but I still have two tubs full If only I could just stay home and sew all day, just a dream but someday my dream will come true. I do have a scrap one made all it needs is a binding, I just made a bunch of 21/2" strips and put them in a bag and what ever I pulled out I connected and kept going till was the size I wanted turned out kind of pretty.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:08 AM

i do stay home all day and its not as much fun as you would think and i have only been home not working for a year.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 AM

I started out years ago when I still got thrilled to get even two blocks in a row to match within one quilt, with muslin. It was inexpensive and the more you washed the quilt, the more comfortable it became. I know the latest and the greatest over the years has been to use various methods of fabric as the backing, and I usually try to play nice to make my quilts look nice also. But once in a while something will jump into my tiny little brain and out comes the muslin.. Plus once I have it laid out exactly where it needs to be and can be hooped and embrorded on. Actually it looks kind of cute or pretty depending on what the quilt itself is all about. My thoughts..
Old 06-06-2010, 11:10 AM

The quiltville.com site is very nice. I think I'll try the Bricks and Stepping-stones pattern from my scraps.