Quilt Challenge!

Old 06-18-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by lin
This is such a good idea quiltmaker. I've made many scrap quilts in the attempt to put my scrap basket out of business. With no luck. I'm currently working on a really large one. Thought that would do the trick. Hasn't made a dent! :lol: But I'll keep trying. Dh says I never need to buy another FQ as long as I live and I could just keeping putting them out one after another. I've even given my whole scrap basket away. Twice!! :shock: It multiplies in the dark, I swear it does!

This will motivate me to work harder to get this one done in time so I can (NOT) send it to k_juipiter for judging. :lol: :lol:
I am the same way. I have donated my scraps 3 time in the lat two years and have a huge basket full again. I have mady two quilts last year from the Bonnie Site . one is just 2 1/2" squares and is queen size. Didn't come clost to putting a dent in the scraps.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:05 PM

It is so nice to know other quilters have scrap baskets with contents that magically multiply! I think I could quilt indefinitely without using anything but scraps!! Of course that doesn't keep me from buying new fabric! :)
Old 06-19-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by winterswisper
It is so nice to know other quilters have scrap baskets with contents that magically multiply! I think I could quilt indefinitely without using anything but scraps!! Of course that doesn't keep me from buying new fabric! :)
Winter: I know the feeling, I'm off this morning to a fabric sale. 50% off. Just can't pass it up.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:29 AM

ohh, sounds so nice. happy shopping!
Old 06-19-2010, 12:35 PM

I have completed a scrap quilt this month, but like everyone is saying, it did not make a dent!!! I even have a friend of a friend who takes all my cuttings and does magic with them and makes more quilts!

Crumbs and Denim Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88612[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88607.jpe  
Old 06-19-2010, 02:55 PM

I have been looking over quiltville.com website and am inspired to get going on a scrap quilt. I certainly join the group. Do we have a deadline???
Old 06-19-2010, 03:41 PM

I had fabric left over after making 2 quilts last year, one a twin & one a queen. This weekend I've made 2 baby quilts totally from my leftovers from those quilts, & have enough to make another one. The sad part is that I did not purchase extra fabric for either original pattern, but tha's how much extra the pattern called for. A little extra is always a good idea (just in case I cut or read wrong! lol) But that much extra - enough for 3 more quilts! - is a little excessive. Makes me wonder if the author isn't also an investor in the fabric company!! And we wonder why we have a stash of scraps??!?!!
Old 06-20-2010, 02:21 PM

Well, I could be ready for this one. When I make a blouse or something of 100% cotton, I cut the scraps into 1 1/4" strips and put them into a large blanket box plastic storage, which is almost full. I think a log cabin quilt is in my future-surely by next year! If I get tired of looking at an odd fabric, I just cut it up in strips also. I just need to sort them into light, medium and darks. I just need to get busy!
Old 06-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by plainjane
Well, I could be ready for this one. When I make a blouse or something of 100% cotton, I cut the scraps into 1 1/4" strips and put them into a large blanket box plastic storage, which is almost full. I think a log cabin quilt is in my future-surely by next year! If I get tired of looking at an odd fabric, I just cut it up in strips also. I just need to sort them into light, medium and darks. I just need to get busy!
WOW that's a great idea. I have started cutting 2 1/2" strips from every fabric I use. This is a good size for a lot of different applications.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:22 AM

I'll take you up on that one also. Exactly when is the ending date? Do you mean this Christmas 2010 or "next" Christmas 2011?