Quilt Challenge!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
Oh, and I don't know that this will encourage or discourage people, but let's donate these somehow. Or keep them. Entirely up to the individual, but I think I would more motivated if my scrap quilt went to build a charity or put a smile on a family member. If you really love it though, please keep it! I'm easy! :D Just have fun! Great idea, Wendy! Recycling is so 2008!
Donation quilts are fun & rewarding. Check with your local agencies to see who can use them. Here are a few who need/use quilts in our area - lap quilts for local Veteran's Home, Quilts of valor (national organization - quilts for our wounded soldiers), shelters, homes for abused/neglected children , nursing homes, day care centers. Remember these quilts will be well-loved, so must be made to withstand multiple washings. Many of these quilts become permanent possessions of the recipient.
And one more scrap use - not exactly quilting, but our local animal shelter loves to receive doggie beds filled with all our cotton scraps not large enough to use on a quilt top. The outer fabric should be pretty sturdy; "filling" can be any scraps otherwise tossed away. These keep animals off the cold floors, & get washed & reused until they fall apart.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:39 PM

I was inspired by Quiltville and the "chop & sort" System.... I actually have received many shopping bags of scraps from the other quilters in my guild that don't want to throw it away but just know that they won't get to actually using their scraps. I keep cutting and have enough for several scrap quilts - - I have started one - this will also be in the UFO challenge....
Old 12-10-2010, 07:15 PM

I've organized my scraps a few weeks ago and it made a big difference. Just stuck them in a plastic container. Now when I need a specific color, all I do is pull the container. I am working on a quilt now with nothing but scraps and it's coming out really nice. Talk about color!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:28 AM

I was taught a quilt pattern that is wonderful, easy and fun to do to use up those quilt strips. Strips are cut into 14" strips with different widths. Sew them together to make a 14" square. You will need to to complete this technique. I suggest you have one square with darks (or a particular color group) and the other with lights (or a different color group). Place the first block face up with the strips going horizontal, place the second block face down on top of the first block but with the strips going vertical. Sew 1/4" all the way around - yes.... all the way around the squares. Now cut those blocks diagonally from left lower corner to right upper corner. Then before moving them, cut from the right lower corner to the upper left corner just like an "X". Now you will have 4 blocks ready to put toward a scrap quilt. If you would like to see photos of a scrap quilt done this way by my friend Lyn, email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to send it to you. This quilt is not only a great way to use up those strips, but fun to do. It also goes together really fast. I tried to attach the photo of Lyn with the scrap quilt but not sure if it will work.

Lyn and her Scrap Quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142840[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-142835.jpe  
Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Do you have a pattern for this quilt? I would love a copy at [email protected]
Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 PM

before I moved from a large house to a 2 bedroom apt, I cut up my left over peices into squares from 41/2'-9 1/2 squares. I have made lots of baby quilts for the hospital. I use top bed sheets for backing. The small peices I cut into strips or small squares and make crazy quilt blocks then use them into quilts also.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:26 AM

I have been trying to use up my stash for a year now and my promise to myself is NO MORE FABRIC until I have used up what i have. My hubby just laughs everytime I say this. He says I will never use up my stash. I have made some very interesting quilts by just using what i have. So far, I have not had to buy anything other than batting and backing for over a year and still have along way to go before it is all used up.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 AM

Pam v. !!! good idea! Are you also a Bonnie Hunter fan?
Be sure to share some pictures of your wonderful, scrappy creations for inspiration for all of us.
My daughter paid me a high compliment the other day, when I was suggesting that perhaps it was time that I start lightening the load, so to speak. When I mentioned all the fabric, she said: But, you use it, you will use it, and having access to your stash will save money in the long run.
so much for lightening the load! LOL <wave>
Old 12-15-2010, 03:32 PM

Just back from a visit to quiltville.com. Great scrapping! Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:23 PM

a good site. thanks.