Quilt Challenge!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Net

I've been using my scraps all year and I still have plenty...trying to use them up. Amazing how many quilts you can make out of your scraps. Made 15 for resthomes, and for the church to sell to raise money for missions. At least I'm using my scraps & stash. lol
Old 12-01-2010, 06:49 PM

It has been my experience that scraps breed or something when they are exposed to air <wave> ;-)
Old 12-03-2010, 05:16 AM

[quote=k_jupiter]I volunteer to be the judge!

Send all scrap quilts to me next Christmas and I will tell you who's is best.

Some exclusions may occur. Your mileage may vary. Do not do this at home. All quilting as shown is done by professionals, do not attempt to do this without advanced training. My favorite color is blue. Taxes are collected in the state of California. Quilts are not returnable. Winners will be notified when I stop running from a gang of angry quilters. [quote]

I will lead the pack, Tim......not returnable, my foot!!! LOL
Old 12-03-2010, 05:20 AM

LOL, I just noticed that this challenge was put out in 07 and that there were already 55 pages to the thread. I clicked on it because it said it was a new challenge but I guess it's been done for over 3 years...........or, is it an ongoing challenge?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by karenfae
I am new to the board but not new to scrap quilts. Scrap quilting can make some of the most beautiful quilts around. I have been trying to make the most of my scraps and one of the most helpful hints I can give anyone is to save, save, save. I do not know how many quilts I have made from scraps. I have very few large pieces of fabric in my sewing room - most are fat quarters or under (yes I do have some bolts but those are mainly background fabrics). With the economy the way it is all of our scraps will come in handy in years to come. Fabric prices are going through the roof - we in the states are lucky - yes lucky to pay the prices we do when I hear how high the prices are for fabric in Europe, Canada, Australia and many other places - I can not believe how high the prices are - we are talking $20 a yard or more!!
Try to organize your scraps in some matter so that you will use them. Keep them where you won't be able to forget them!
For the past year and continuing into next year I intend to make scrap quilts and only will be purchasing backing and backgrounds. I would piece backings but I hand quilt and do not want the extra seams to go through.
Our local quilt shop has started a section in the back for discount bolts. They are all $3.99 a yard and beautiful Moda and Benartex type fabrics plus she has fat quarters for $1.25. Yesterday I bought 20 gorgeous fall fat quarters she had for $1.00 each. From now on that is the first thing I am going to ask when I walk in a quilt shop, if they have a section like this. In a few weeks she said all Christmas fabric will be there. YIPPEE......great time to start next year's Christmas quilt.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:44 PM

I thought it was new as well. If they aren't doing it again - they should.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by katiescraftshop
I thought it was new as well. If they aren't doing it again - they should.
yeah!
Why don't we? (still have to go back and read through the rest of this) ...
sometimes, a really good thread gets started and someone jumps in and doesn't see exactly what they are looking for, so they start a new thread, and threads get lost until someone new comes along, does a search or whatever and stumbles over an old post.
The ones that should always be on the top of any search are the ones that encourage us to PRODUCE what we came here saying we wanted to produce! LOL <wave>
Old 12-04-2010, 01:06 AM

I thought it was new as a really good thread gets started and someone jumps in and doesn't see exactly what they are looking for, so they start a new thread, and threads get lost until someone new comes along, does a search or whatever and stumbles over an old post.
The problem is the number of pages. I don't want to read through 55 pages of people's opinions about something possibly not related to the topic. I'm a member of another forum (not related to quilting) that stops the thread at 20 pages. I think that is a good idea, personally. They can then make a part 2, part 3, etc. if it is really interesting.

Most of the time threads are either completely off topic after 20 pages or there is a lot of "nonsense".

I also wondered why this thread has a sticky. Are we actually challenged to make a quilt this year using only our stash? I use my stash always but that's basically because I buy used curtains and bedding since woven cotton fabric isn't the easiest thing for me to find here in Poland. So, I generally add to my stash by going to the used clothing store and finding another 100%cotton sheet or set of curtains that will work as a blender.

Anyway, this thread is so long--I've checked out the first couple of pages and now the last few, but see they are years apart. I've been unsure of the purpose of this thread, but wanted to say my two groszy worth about long threads. :)
Old 12-04-2010, 11:15 AM

I use used dryer sheets & just sew on whatever scraps I have, crazy quilt style, then square it off. Laundry days are fun because I "get" more sheets with which to sew. I have made several twin size quilts for our Union Gospel Mission Family Shelter plus some flannel baby quilts for Life Choices. If I ever figure out how to attach pix I will do that.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:22 AM

I'm in too. I've gone one step further and brought out most of my UFO's put them in various containers and they are laying all around me on the floor of my studio. I've had it with storing all of them and the guilt ... oh my! My goal for the year. Finish part of them before next xmas. The reason I brought out most of them and not all. Ran out of space. I'll be donating to local charities this year big time.