Quilt Challenge!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 PM

I would like to join and make a scrappy quilt..I love the small tumbler block and the apple core..I recently finished a tumbler quilt, twin size, and no piece was used more than one time...It was a lot of fun to make..Are ther specific rules on size or pattern ??
Old 11-21-2010, 06:09 AM

Bonnie Hunter has started a mystery quilt in scraps. I'm working that one both on her board and Pat Sloan's Forum.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi P
My favorite pattern for scraps is Grandmother's Flower Garden b/c each hexagon can be different. I made my first one after my grandmother passed away; the only thing I got was her bag of scraps! The Flower Garden was almost entirely from that batch. So far I have made three quilts that incorporate at least some of her scraps with mine.
How sad that you only got a bag of scrap fabrics from your Grandmother's things. Yet, you have the best of everything because you have her memories and quilts made of what she considered salvageable pieces. These bits and pieces were valuable to her and now you have her wealth to wrap around you. Congrats; make those scraps into quilts, pillows and wall hanging only for you.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:17 AM

What is a confetti quilt? I would love to have pictures. I am going to start a scrappy quilt after 1st of year. Too many irons in the fire to do anything new. I probably have several (5) tubs of scraps. Can't have to many.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:01 AM

Mile a minute is great for scraps----I am down to two totes of scraps as soon as I finish cutting the current stack. I am determined to get them into usable form before winter is over this year! That way, I can quickly do a project for a gift.
I do not know what a confetti quilt is, either....
Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by annmarie
I thought someone was sending you a bag full! Maybe we all should! :lol:
Nope, don't do that.
I know where he is coming from.
He will never finish measuring and catlogueing the scraps. Then we will never have the pleasure of looking at one of his quilts again ...

My 'scraps' fit in one shoe box.
After messing up my first quilt (using a 'recipe' of the series "Quilt in Three Hours"), I keep on doing 'learning blocks'. Someday, I will have to cut into this pristine fabric in my stash - if it is just to generate some more scraps...
Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Love those scrappy quilts the most!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:40 PM

I have boxes of scraps my late mother saved from clothes she made us when we were kids. She meant to make them into quilts but years went by & when she died 3 years ago they weren't done. So, I've taken on the project...1 for me & each of my 2 brothers. I am overwelmed with what to do & how to start. So many different fabrics, colors, sizes of scraps. Where do I even begin?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 PM

Sounds like the best way to reduce the stash! I'm game to try to make the new mystery quilt that way! (http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-73563-1.htm)
Old 11-23-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2ursula
My 'scraps' fit in one shoe box.
After messing up my first quilt (using a 'recipe' of the series "Quilt in Three Hours"), I keep on doing 'learning blocks'. Someday, I will have to cut into this pristine fabric in my stash - if it is just to generate some more scraps...
How about a challenge quilt made up of your "learning blocks"? Add set-up strips or frames from your stash to make them compatible in size.