Quilt Challenge!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
I volunteer to be the judge!

Send all scrap quilts to me next Christmas and I will tell you who's is best.

Some exclusions may occur. Your mileage may vary. Do not do this at home. All quilting as shown is done by professionals, do not attempt to do this without advanced training. My favorite color is blue. Taxes are collected in the state of California. Quilts are not returnable. Winners will be notified when I stop running from a gang of angry quilters.
What a sense of humor...made my day!

tim in san jose
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM

I have been using the sevages to make 11" squares. This is a fun way of using the sevages and not wasting any part of the fabric. I sew the selvage strips 1/2 to 2" onto a 11inch piece of muslin or scrap fabric.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 AM

Interesting topic! In January my mother and I attended a work session for $5 and were given the instructions to use our stash and put together a top! Every quarter there will be another session with a different pattern!

My profile pic is the top that I pieced together after that work session and it all came from my stash!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 AM

VERY nice!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:54 AM

I visited my local Diasabled American Veterans thrift store this past week and picked up some gently used 100% cotton sheets to put on the back of some of my charity quilts. I bought a twin in lime green with white polka dots for $1.49, two white queen size for $1.95 each, and one bright pink twin for $1.48. I felt good about the purchase as it is helping the people who have served our country and the resulting quilts will be given to charity
Old 02-13-2011, 12:01 PM

Been working on quilts for the Cancer center in the town I grew up in. It's our community project through our quilt guild. Goal was a 100 quilts and we are three quarters of the way there with 75 donated so far.

It's really heart warming to see just how many others feel the same way and donate their quilts to various charities!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM

If prices are going to go up why not buy stuff now before prices go up more at least that is what I am going to do. My local quilt shop said in 6 months we will see the increase. So buy now.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
I volunteer to be the judge!

Send all scrap quilts to me next Christmas and I will tell you who's is best.

Some exclusions may occur. Your mileage may vary. Do not do this at home. All quilting as shown is done by professionals, do not attempt to do this without advanced training. My favorite color is blue. Taxes are collected in the state of California. Quilts are not returnable. Winners will be notified when I stop running from a gang of angry quilters.
ha ha ha ha ha....hardy har har...best laugh of the day!

tim in san jose
Old 02-17-2011, 04:24 PM

I already have over 1000 yards of fabric, most of it quilt weight. If prices go up, I'll have even more reason to use what I have!
The "Roll, Roll, COtton Boll" Mystery quilt is already under way using only scraps on hand, and I also have a couple of UFO's to work on this year!
How about a special place to post pictures of "stash-ONLY" quilts?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:57 AM

I used Bonnie Hunts, leader, ender method. Cut all you scraps into squares and keep in a box next to machine. Grab two and sew together at beginning and end of your chain piecing and wa-la soon you have a scrap quilt without trying. She has several books out to show you ways to put these twoies together. Try it, it's fun, easy, cleans up you sewing room (??) All that $10/yd fabric gets used to the max. Happy piecing. BJ