Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt >

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Old 06-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Love the idea of florals. Come to think of it, I saw your selections, one modern and one more traditional, right? I love that idea. I go crazy with all the shipping etc. plus I have lots of fabric but very little the right size.
I print my labels online and ship from home. Hate going to the post office! For the Boom swap you send in F8ths... or, half of a fat quarter. So it was easy to cut that size from my floral collection. Have no idea what the quilts will look like-- very scrappy! Hope they will be pretty.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Block #1, "Woven Star":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572169[/ATTACH]
Pretty block AKA Sister's Choice. Its one of the extra blocks I made using batiks in the bee: (What a great display of blocks from everyone. They are all just beautiful!)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]574748[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sisters-choice.jpg  

Last edited by Just Jan; 06-16-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:49 AM

Well.... you could keep your tempting Boom chat to the Boom thread. I haven't signed up yet. I think the various floral swatches was a brilliant idea! I assumed everyone was cutting from the same fabric to send for the others to sew, as it seems like the pictures posted from past Booms are of sampler quilts where each block contain a piece of the same print. Which is a cute idea, but the sampler that is scrappy is just going to be a brilliant idea for a Boom. I haven't seen that yet. Well done for a creative idea there!

Just Jan, I like the contrast of color in your block. Such a different look it gave than the way our pattern was done with two prints where you have your one orange.

Last edited by givio; 06-17-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by givio View Post
Well.... you could keep your tempting Boom chat to the Boom thread. I haven't signed up yet. I think the various floral swatches was a brilliant idea! I assumed everyone was cutting from the same fabric to send for the others to sew, as it seems like the pictures posted from past Booms are of sampler quilts where each block contain a piece of the same print. Which is a cute idea, but the sampler that is scrappy is just going to be a brilliant idea for a Boom. I haven't seen that yet. Well done for a creative idea there!

Just Jan, I like the contrast of color in your block. Such a different look it gave than the way our pattern was done with two prints where you have your one orange.
LOL It is lots of fun. I am also tempted but I have so many other things going on and I really do not have the right fabric, or I think. I could use some more for other BOOM blocks I already have. So that does make it tempting.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Yeah, you can always send in a mixture for the Boom swaps... or have more made for a previous swap so you can get a bigger quilt. Actually, I use 12 blocks for a charity lap throw, so only need 12 F8ths the same per quilt. Or... mix it up!

SORRY TO TEMPT! (Not. It's all part of my evil plan.)

Ok. Back to the Rest and Refreshing. I finally got this week's block done today-- yay! Our power was out for a couple of days after a thunderstorm that blew in with HUGE winds. There are big old trees laying uprooted everywhere. But today I can sew and get online again!

I kind of went rogue with the gold color in this one. I just loved that fabric and wanted to use it. Now I'll have to work it in somewhere else in the quilt.

Only 4 hours til our next block comes out! Made this one in the nick of time:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]574899[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2381-small-.jpg  
Old 06-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Love your woven star/sister's choice in orange and greens, JustJan! I think a whole quilt of that block would look awesome... blocks in different colors.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Very pretty Sewbizgirl.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

OK I think something is wrong with the directions or me. I over size cut my sq's should be 3 1/4" I make them 3 1/2" SO I am sure they are plenty big enough and I cut off the extra. That's fine with me, rather they be too big than too small. So this week we are using the the pinwheel method not the hst method. So I still overcut my squares to 3 1/2". Made one pinwheel and it comes out to 3 3/4 " So I can't cut that down to 4 1/2" What is going on??? Anyone else having troubles?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:58 AM

Hi Mary,
Yes, you are quite correct - and this current block nine has been corrected twice. you need the SECOND corrected update. Check Pinwheel directions.
DottyD
Old 06-19-2017, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Everybody should have got a correction in their email... Dotty, are you saying there is a second correction?