Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt >

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Old 06-19-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
Jane I would never show a big picture like yours. All your points look great. You know the phrase about riding by on a horse?......well ya better have a race horse when ya ride by mine. lol. You ladies are really showing some great blocks.
An old quilter I knew when I was a kid used to say, "A blind man on a galloping horse would never see it!"
Old 06-19-2017, 06:16 PM

Oh! Look at all the posts! Nice to see some new ones jumping in. Welcome! I'm a bit behind as I was visiting a lot with my son and DIL and new grandson last week. I'll have to make last week's block and this week's block this week. I didn't start right away on this week's, and found the corrections before I've started. I don't really use the directions a whole lot anyway!

SBG, That gold block is a zinger! I have that fabric on your lower left pinwheel. Nice fussy cutting on your border.

It was a new one I bought recently, just because I had mandatory overtime at work and decided to treat myself to some new fabric. Some don't indicate 'Civil War' by info on their selvages, but I'm not a truest about it-- if they look like the general genre to me, then I'm satisfied.

Last edited by givio; 06-19-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
It will be unique and pretty in Christmas fabrics. I love red and green together. It's classic color combination for quilts and used a lot for them historically.
Here's my block for the week!
I am trying to catch up on these blocks as I am a late joiner to this BOW. Am I correct that the Constellation blocks are 2 1/2 unfinished and the border and corner stones are 1 1/2 unfinished?
Thanks. Janet
(My forum name is Just Jan but I will sign my messages as Janet since I see there is another Jan here.)
Old 06-19-2017, 06:46 PM

Wonderful block, sewbizgirl!
Old 06-19-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Jan I sent you a pm with instructions and a link to sign up for the weekly patterns. Glad you are going to be doing this beautiful quilt along with us. Better late than never!

Here is my week 9 block... am I actually FIRST this week?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]574979[/ATTACH]

These sweet little civil war pinwheels just melt my heart!
Thanks for the PM. I went back to the beginning and saved pix of all 9 blocks. I really don't need instructions except to know if the frames are cut at 1 1/2 inches. What is the given name for this pinwheel block? Thanks for your help. You can refer to me here as Just Jan or as Janet, to save confusion. I see posts by another Jan and I think its CheeseHead but I'm not sure.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 PM

Just Jan,

The border on Constellation is 1 1/2" unfinished, with 1 1/2" unfinished cornerstones.

The blocks finish at 10". Basically, they are using 2" size pieces, HSTs, etc. (finished). So, Constellation, finished, is 8" in the middle, with 1" border to make up the 10" block. Whirlpool is the same. Double X has a 6" middle and a 2" finished border.

Last edited by givio; 06-19-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Jan I sent you a pm with instructions and a link to sign up for the weekly patterns. Glad you are going to be doing this beautiful quilt along with us. Better late than never!

Here is my week 9 block... am I actually FIRST this week?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]574979[/ATTACH]

These sweet little civil war pinwheels just melt my heart!
Yeahhhh! You got the first one done prize for the week. She is a beauty! I love what you did with the small border fabric.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by givio View Post
Just Jan,

The border on Constellation is 1 1/2" unfinished, with 1 1/2" unfinished cornerstones.

The blocks finish at 10". Basically, they are using 2" size pieces, HSTs, etc. (finished). So, Constellation, finished, is 8" in the middle, with 1" border to make up the 10" block. Whirlpool is the same. Double X has a 6" middle and a 2" finished border.
Great answer, Givio!

I used the only brown border fabric I had that was long enough to cut all the pieces from. I was thinking it was pretty ugly but I guess it's ok. I have a really pretty one but I would have had to cross cut it, which defeats the purpose and looks funny to boot.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:19 PM

Sewbizgirl ...love your boarder. I have spent two days looking for ANY boarder fabric in my pitiful stash. I have to give up. This block will look like a plain Jane without a fancy boarder like yours. Sigh.....
Old 06-19-2017, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Sewbizgirl ...love your boarder. I have spent two days looking for ANY boarder fabric in my pitiful stash. I have to give up. This block will look like a plain Jane without a fancy boarder like yours. Sigh.....
Don't despair... Look at some of the other framed blocks made with plainer borders and they are pretty. Another idea is to use a regular fabric for the border but use corner stones to spruce it up a little. You could also miter the border corners for yet another look. And of course you can post your block before borders with some possible choices and the ladies here will be glad to give opinions and options. Never give up... its just an opportunity to grow and you have lots of support here! Janet