Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-15-2017, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
You can do 4 patches but you can't do traditional strip pieced 4 patches. It will involve waste though.

I did this w/ construction paper w/ the seam allowance cut off already.
I think you are close! I have directions for this in a book written by the gal who developed the method called Mary's triangles. You probably just need more of a longer rectangle for the wings.

Here's a tutorial: https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/...-tutorial.html. The rectangles for the 'wings' are a fairly long to accomodate the double seam allowance on the diagonal between the 2 squares.

THe tutorial doesn't have Bonnie's measurements. When I look at my book it appears as if the rectangle is 1 inch longer than the square. So 2 1/2 inch squares are paired with a 3 1/2 inch rectangle. 4 1/2 with a 5 1/2. I think we'll have to try 1 1/2 with 2 1/2....

Then to complete the HST you layer it on top of another rectangle. Wonder if we will end up pairing these with 'one' piece of fabric???
Old 12-15-2017, 07:38 AM

I panicked to get the retraction out first. I trimmed my large square before the diagonal cut, that made the diagonal not a true 45 degree cut, if the diagonal cut is done first it will work, but this method is harder to keep a good and true 1/4 inch seam for the point. Sewing the triangles to the square is working w/ straight of grain edges and easy enough. That is the way I plan to make them (one square and 2 triangles like Bonnie showed)
Old 12-15-2017, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
We need a 1/4" seam allowance on the tip of the blue square so we don't cut our points. The more I've been think about it, the more I think it might be wiser for me to just do it the way Bonnie showed.

When Bonnie said that our units need to measure Xx/x", did she mean the 90* angle or the 45* angle?
Have you used the technique of cutting a square from a strip and then cutting the square in half to make 2 triangles??? For that method to get a finished unit of 3 inches you cut a 3 7/8 square and then cut that once on the diagonal to make 2 squares. The 2 edges that are the same size (not the diagonal) should be 3 7/8 - tip of the point to the corner.

That's what she is talking about. Does that make sense?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I panicked to get the retraction out first. I trimmed my large square before the diagonal cut, that made the diagonal not a true 45 degree cut, if the diagonal cut is done first it will work, but this method is harder to keep a good and true 1/4 inch seam for the point. Sewing the triangles to the square is working w/ straight of grain edges and easy enough. That is the way I plan to make them (one square and 2 triangles like Bonnie showed)
I think you are right. If you sew carefully, I think these shouldn't be too bad. (Definitely better than tri-rec's! ) When I've done these before, I've used slightly oversized triangles and then trimmed the resulting triangle. I think I'm going to try her method too, since my goal with this mystery has been to 'sew like Bonnie'!

Last edited by kristijoy; 12-15-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Paperpgma View Post
Very interesting guess! I agree the brown has got to come out in the next clue .. maybe brown/blue HSTs?
Woo-hoo! You guessed it!
Old 12-15-2017, 08:06 AM

Sandra-P
There is the 2x2 square cutter die
I'm not sure about the other
Kirsten
Old 12-15-2017, 08:30 AM

Kirsten, Thank you. I do have that one and also the 2 inch strip cutter one. How is the weather there in Washington? I used to live in Issaquah.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 AM

i think I will make clue 4 with the accuquilt 2 inch strips and the 2 inch hst die like I used for the other clues but it could be done like this Deb Tucker video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ4txvN_TAw&t=15s I think it could just be trimmed with the easy angle or Bonnie's ruler.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:53 AM

Pagzz,
That might be the way to go for this clue.
The video is very concise so I will try this method later.
Off to work now!
Thanks
Kirsten

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
i think I will make clue 4 with the accuquilt 2 inch strips and the 2 inch hst die like I used for the other clues but it could be done like this Deb Tucker video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ4txvN_TAw&t=15s I think it could just be trimmed with the easy angle or Bonnie's ruler.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I see you guys already figured out the 4 patch cut on the diagonal will not work. There needs to be the equivalent of a seam allowance on there, which you won't have if you just cut a 4 patch diagonally. This unit is pretty easy, and the 3 7/8" measurement is on the straight sides, not the long diagonal.