Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-15-2017, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
This unit is pretty easy, and the 3 7/8" measurement is on the straight sides, not the long diagonal.
Thanks for answering my question!
Old 12-15-2017, 11:50 AM

The end triangle measurement, I know is for the non diagonal edge, however Bonnie's points are cut off, I halved a square for my triangles, so is that measurement w/o the point tip?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:50 AM

The Tri-Recs ruler was not on her supply list, so that's one unit we don't have to worry about.

I'm going to see if doing half the shaded 4 patch might work. I really don't want to work with all those little triangles.

Last edited by Belfrybat; 12-15-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:01 PM

I tried Bonnies ruler and it worked, so I will stay with that. Took a photo with my digital camera it does show the colors better. You can also see the wrong green color I cut in #3.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585408[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1444.jpg  
Old 12-15-2017, 12:49 PM

life is too short to redo your greens with all these moderately small pieces the finish is bound to be a knockout and it all will come fine in the end.

I just finished my units for the next border for the shirts backing side, and looking forward to getting into my blues and browns. I'll do mine with the companion ruler, they always were perfect once I learned to have the cutting line on the fabric rather than just off.

I love each example shown thank you all for sharing.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:49 PM

I got my pieces cut today and will do it Bonnie's way. I did sew a few units today and it came together just fine. Hopefully I can get Clue 4 done this weekend

Jan
Old 12-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
The end triangle measurement, I know is for the non diagonal edge, however Bonnie's points are cut off, I halved a square for my triangles, so is that measurement w/o the point tip?
Only one of her corners is cut off, and it's the inside corner that lines up with the side of the square. You can still measure along your long straight edges. Kass, if you have an easy angle ruler, or any ruler that will help you cut off that one point, it's a big help in triangle placement if you can line up that inside edge with the edge of your square. That's why I am a fan of cutting triangles from strips with the easy angle ruler, moreso than cutting them from bisecting a square. Easy Angles are about $8 at Joanns, and with a coupon, even cheaper. I find mine indispensable.

The Tri-Recs ruler was not on her supply list, so that's one unit we don't have to worry about. Belfry, you're a genius! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I kept waiting for those stupid tri recs to pop up.

However, I can tell you it will not work to cut a 4patch diagonally to get this unit. If you look at Windblown's picture (above) you can see that beyond the point where you would have cut, there is a seam allowance. You have to do it Bonnie's way to get that seam allowance. Well.... there might be a very math-y convoluted way to make it happen, but it isn't worth stretching my brain to figure it out. Besides, that's Kass' job...
Old 12-15-2017, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

We are gonna be whipping through this clue. It's so easy!
Old 12-15-2017, 02:37 PM

LOL I did figure out how to do it the "convoluted" way, but it is easier and mindless w/ the two triangles and one square.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Only one of her corners is cut off, and it's the inside corner that lines up with the side of the square. You can still measure along your long straight edges. Kass, if you have an easy angle ruler, or any ruler that will help you cut off that one point, it's a big help in triangle placement if you can line up that inside edge with the edge of your square. That's why I am a fan of cutting triangles from strips with the easy angle ruler, moreso than cutting them from bisecting a square. Easy Angles are about $8 at Joanns, and with a coupon, even cheaper. I find mine indispensable.

The Tri-Recs ruler was not on her supply list, so that's one unit we don't have to worry about. Belfry, you're a genius! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I kept waiting for those stupid tri recs to pop up.

However, I can tell you it will not work to cut a 4patch diagonally to get this unit. If you look at Windblown's picture (above) you can see that beyond the point where you would have cut, there is a seam allowance. You have to do it Bonnie's way to get that seam allowance. Well.... there might be a very math-y convoluted way to make it happen, but it isn't worth stretching my brain to figure it out. Besides, that's Kass' job...
Old 12-15-2017, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
LOL I did figure out how to do it the "convoluted" way, but it is easier and mindless w/ the two triangles and one square.
I knew it. But yeah, *seriously* simpler with the square and two triangles.