Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-19-2017, 08:07 AM

I also found that making the same block over and over was releived by just cutting about 10 or so, then sewing them together and then stopping to cut more, etc.
i used the essential ruler and thought it made the sewing together easier. That is the only ruler I have of Bonnie's speciality rulers.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:15 AM

I don't tend to get bored with large numbers of units, because I don't try to plow through huge numbers at a time. Audiobooks are a great help, too.

Costumegirl, I have the Essential Triangle Tool, but I don't use it, because the cutting angle seems so awkward to me, whereas with the Easy Angle Ruler (which performs some of the same functions), the orientation is different and the cutting is at a comfortable angle. Maybe those who do cut with the Essential Triangle Tool could comment on this.

I started out doing clue #1 with the Simple Folded Corner Ruler, but I didn't like it. I did not get accurate results (that may not be the fault of the ruler), and the repetition for this many units was very hard on my neck and shoulders (because of doing the lining up and making that cut so many times). Because of this, I decided on the basic method for clue #3, and my results were much better, plus I could make the cut with a scissors rather than a rotary cutter, and could draw my lines while sitting, so there was much less bodily stress involved.

I didn't attempt the 'Bonnie method,' that is, cutting the parallelograms and the triangles, because I've had accuracy issues in the past doing geese this way with the Easy Angle. But if I ever have this type of unit to make again, I think I'll give that method a try.

Last edited by joe'smom; 12-19-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:48 AM

I do get bored. Like Sewbiz said, doing scrappy does help. I have found that if I don't have deadlines I won't finish it. The sheer amount of tiny pieces would make this a daunting UFO.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post

If I could be granted a wish though it would be that the next clue is combining some of these units into a bigger unit. The mystery is fun but it always seems like we are given a lot to do with the final clue.
That would be so great, but it won't happen. She just never works that way. The combining of units is all dumped on you at the end. That would be my wish too... but she guards the secret of the design til the last!

Now for those that are not going to start until after the reveal, they could easily combine units as they go.

Another thing that helps the boredom factor is sewing together with the group. This group thing helps! If I was doing this alone I probably would have given up already.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:09 AM

This is the first top that I have made with so many pieces involved. Clue 3 drove me nuts so I was way more frustrated than bored. For clue 4, I cut all the pieces and then sewed & pressed them in groups of 12. I would do a complete group, get up and go and do something, then come back. I too would like to start assembling some of these pieces. There are so many that it would be nice to have chunks of them put together.

As for speciality rulers, I have been mostly using the easy angle and my reguler rulers. I did use the folded corner a little but so far I do not know if it has warranted its purchase. As a disclaimer, I am a very rookie quilter who does not know what I am doing with these rulers most of the time

I am really enjoying the variety of fabric choices that people are using. That is another reason it would be nice to see some of these pieces come together. It is going to be so cool to see the different blues, greens, greys, and purples, and.....as a whole unit.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:21 AM

rryder I have problems with controlling the Essential Triangle tool on the 2" strips. the strips want to shift around on me. The ruler stays firm but the fabric moves. I can only cut one WOF before with my nose about 6" above to make sure it's not slipping, then I have to take a brake.
On the clues I usually cut 20, then sew them, then press, just so it's not so boring. I generally do scrappy, this is my first one not, it is more boring.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:52 PM

@Rob: bored? And now you know how I got En Provence finished. I couldn't face another repeat for this one, without a distraction.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:01 PM

I really like assembly line quilting, and it would bother me to only to a dozen completely at a time. I like having 100 or so exactly the same seam. Even when I was doing the 365 block challenge, I'd cut and lay out 10-15 blocks and do them assembly line even though each one was different.

one of my major UFO's is a crazy quilt, and I just hate that I pretty much have to work on a block at a time. I keep trying to figure out how I can do ten together.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I found that video, in the Monday link-up blog post.
Glad you found it.

Am looking forward to Clue 5. I bet we are getting close to the big reveal.

Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!
Old 12-19-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I don't tend to get bored with large numbers of units, because I don't try to plow through huge numbers at a time. Audiobooks are a great help, too.

Costumegirl, I have the Essential Triangle Tool, but I don't use it, because the cutting angle seems so awkward to me, whereas with the Easy Angle Ruler (which performs some of the same functions), the orientation is different and the cutting is at a comfortable angle. Maybe those who do cut with the Essential Triangle Tool could comment on this.

I started out doing clue #1 with the Simple Folded Corner Ruler, but I didn't like it. I did not get accurate results (that may not be the fault of the ruler), and the repetition for this many units was very hard on my neck and shoulders (because of doing the lining up and making that cut so many times). Because of this, I decided on the basic method for clue #3, and my results were much better, plus I could make the cut with a scissors rather than a rotary cutter, and could draw my lines while sitting, so there was much less bodily stress involved.

I didn't attempt the 'Bonnie method,' that is, cutting the parallelograms and the triangles, because I've had accuracy issues in the past doing geese this way with the Easy Angle. But if I ever have this type of unit to make again, I think I'll give that method a try.
This was my experience/opinion on the rulers and the methods.