Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-20-2017, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Last night I bought Bonnie's Allitare pattern! The plan is to work on it slowing next year
I was wondering if Bonnie's pattern is easier or harder to follow in her bought pattern verses following along in her MQ sew a longs? Oh well back to ironing steps 1 & 2. Will post pics when they are done.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
I was wondering if Bonnie's pattern is easier or harder to follow in her bought pattern verses following along in her MQ sew a longs? Oh well back to ironing steps 1 & 2. Will post pics when they are done.
It doesn't look harder from what I can see. Time will tell! But when you are dealing with such tiny pieces so isn't much wiggle room for error.

Last edited by NZquilter; 12-20-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I really like assembly line quilting, and it would bother me to only to a dozen completely at a time.
Ditto the assembly line quilting here. Couple that with the fact that I'm using so many different fabrics, and I want to spread them out on as many units as possible for a higher percentage of "unique" pieces".

But ... I'm VERY slow!!! I got a late start (did not make my first cut until clue 3 was out). I started with Clue 3, and I'm still on Clue 3!! I think I have about 50 more units to complete, and then I will probably do clue 2, or a new clue, but *a* clue using corals and neutrals as they are already out and taking up space on my cutting table.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Kristijoy, those browns look good enough to eat! Like chocolate...
Old 12-20-2017, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
happylab, do you have any of Bonnie's books? I have String Fling, and have worked with the Orca Bay and Roll, Roll Cotton Boll patterns. I am thinking that Bonnie's pdf patterns would be like the ones she has in her books. They are basic instructions, without the little encouragements, helpful tips and photos that are such a big help in the mystery, and of course, without the ability to ask questions of and be encouraged by a group. I read the instructions for each quilt over and over before beginning them, but with careful reading, I didn't have trouble following them and completing the steps.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:25 PM

I now have all my striped QST sewn for the back. I think there are 64 9 inch squares so I will likely need borders for the back, but I'm not going any further on those until I know the layout and how big my ORL will be.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:30 PM

Thanks everyone! Glad you've enjoyed my colors! We opened presents a few days early with Grandma as we are headed to Canada for skiing on Saturday. So I opened my new 'folded corners ruler'!!!!! I'm sold...this ruler is excellent! I've been working on these blocks and realized that one of the units is exactly the same as Bonnies!!! When I cut them with a regular ruler they weren't super accurate, but with the new folded corners ruler they turn out perfect. Can't wait to use it more!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585777[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20171220_155902-small.jpg  
Old 12-20-2017, 04:44 PM

Beautiful!
Old 12-20-2017, 08:12 PM

So,
Do you all think the folded corners ruler is a good investment?
I hate having all the rulers that can do the same thing...
I am trying to down size so don't want more of something.
Thanks.
Kirsten
Old 12-20-2017, 08:19 PM

I think it depends if you can make the units with the 'draw-the-line' method. I've never had much success with that method, preferring the other. But if the 'draw-the-line' method works for you, I don't think you would need another ruler!