Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-19-2017, 03:27 PM

I don't get bored--love the process.

I don't particularly like cutting with specialty rulers--too much like cutting around templates--something I don't enjoy.

Everyone's unit look great--I love mysteries!
Old 12-19-2017, 04:20 PM

Thanks Pagzz for admitting that you are holding a grudge against a unit. I'm still trying to finish Allitaire. I just can't seem to make myself do it. I still have 30 blocks to go, 20 green ones and 20 lavender ones.

Sewbizgirl, you are a butterfly fluttering between the computer and the sewing machine. But I sure like your stuff. I can't stay still for very long either. I might do this one after I see what it looks like. But for now, I'm swamped. I cut several # 4 with the accuquilt. Thanks to whoever for the numbers on the dies. I had those.

Marcia
Old 12-19-2017, 05:47 PM

Some units are tougher than others...I didn’t participate in En Provence last year but loved the outcome of Allietiere in 2015. I feel that it will all be worth it in the end.

I got all my cutting done for Clue 4 today and chain pieced the first half of the 218 triangles to 2” squares today. Plan to press tonight and sew the other 218 triangles on tomorrow. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:42 PM

If I didn't have this wonderful group...I sure as wouldn't have completed and kept up with the last 4 Mysteries!!!
I did not do Allitaire, though I have it printed out, and I will never miss another BH mystery again. These are boring at times, a pain at times, difficult at times, frustrating at times....but, I would never have picked out some of the color ways that she has nor would I have attempted some of the units that she makes you do...and it's for FREE with only your own time involvled! It makes you grow and mostly lets me use up my stash....

Kirsten

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post

Another thing that helps the boredom factor is sewing together with the group. This group thing helps! If I was doing this alone I probably would have given up already.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
If I didn't have this wonderful group...I sure as wouldn't have completed and kept up with the last 4 Mysteries!!!
...I will never miss another BH mystery again. These are boring at times, a pain at times, difficult at times, frustrating at times....but, I would never have picked out some of the color ways that she has nor would I have attempted some of the units that she makes you do...and it's for FREE with only your own time involvled! It makes you grow....

Kirsten
Well said!!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:28 PM

Hi Deb,

I started the MQ using my 'Corner Pop Ruler' from Deb Tucker. After I did clues 2 & 3, I realized that with this ruler it is difficult to trim the angle on the geese/chevron accurately. I wasn't going to buy the 'Folded Corners Ruler' (thinking I had something equivalent), but I eventually did. The way Bonnie demonstrates this ruler and with the ability to line up the actual seam line look much more accurate.

It's under my Christmas tree right now though....!!!! I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. I've generally avoided patterns with flippy corners. I think this ruler will open that door for me.

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
You all have been working soooooooo hard on each of your clues to get each done!! I am amazed at the energy and speed that many are working at!! Your results are looking amazing!

I have been watching and following from the sidelines and copying each clue to tackle later in January. Hopefully I will be able to do this but right now with Christmas approaching and so much family stuff going on I know that if I tried now I would get very frustrated and not enjoy the holidays or the sewing process! I really want to have the chance to enjoy time with my family and then in Jamuary perhaps also enjoy putting together another one of Bonnie's great designs.

I do have a quick question about the rulers that Bonnie has suggested to use or a survey of sorts so please give your honest opinion:
How many of you are using Bonnie's Essential Triangle Tool ruler and the Simple Folded Corners ruler?
Do you think that they have been very useful and helped you a great deal in getting some of the clues completed?

I know there are other methods and rulers that will also complete the same tasks but was wondering if you feel that these rulers have been essential and helpful to reduce your cutting time and speed up the process more efficiently.

I am debating whether to purchase "another ruler" and appreciate your input. Thanks
Old 12-19-2017, 09:34 PM

Hi everyone!!!

After a few days of travel we have arrived and are all set up at my Mom's. We drove from California up to Seattle. Yesterday we went by the horrific train wreck that happened on I-5 in Washington. We saw the cars just piled up like match sticks with one upside down. It was heart breaking. Everyone here has been glued to the news for the last 2 days because of the people who were killed/injured and the opening of the freeway. My heart goes out to everyone who lost loved ones. Such a challenging time of year to go through this.

Here's my set-up at Moms:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585751[/ATTACH]

And here are my wings!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585752[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20171219_115549-smal.jpg   20171219_115411-small.jpg  
Old 12-19-2017, 10:01 PM

Kristi, yummy browns and teals.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:56 PM

Kristi, your set up at your moms is great! That train wreak was / is terrible! Crazy sad!

This quilting board makes BH mystery fun and much more interesting. I don’t mind repetitive sewing, after I get in the groove. It does take me a while to figure out just what I’m cutting and sewing. I do many practice units. I finally finished clue 3 and hopefully will get #4 finished by Friday.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585754[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails a5accb12-c07f-4f72-8e54-a000acee1c90.jpeg  
Old 12-20-2017, 12:58 AM

That train wreck is so sad! My heart always aches for people who loose family and friends during Christmas time.

Costumegirl, I have the folded corners ruler and I really like it. I used the easy angle ruler for clue 2 and all the units finished "okay". For clue 3 I decided to try the simple folded corners ruler and I didn't even need to trim! They all came out great. So for me, yes the ruler was worth it.

Last night I bought Bonnie's Allitare pattern! The plan is to work on it slowing next year