Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-02-2017, 09:25 PM

Beautiful colors Sewbiz
Old 12-03-2017, 01:52 AM

Sewbiz, those colors are gorgeous!

I’m still dithering over colors because I don’t have enough in the way of browns to come close to what’s needed. So my choices are to a. Buy some or b. Use dark darks in another color way.

Option A would be easiest since I have lots of things in the blue to teal range and also in the melon to orange range, and plenty of neutrals.

Option B appeals to me because I do enjoy a challenge and I would really like to try doing this without actually purchasing any fabric at all. I’ve got plenty of dark darks....hmmm they are mainly cool darks, not warm darks like Bonnie’s browns...

Rob
Old 12-03-2017, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Sewbiz, those colors are gorgeous!

I’m still dithering over colors because I don’t have enough in the way of browns to come close to what’s needed. So my choices are to a. Buy some or b. Use dark darks in another color way.

Option A would be easiest since I have lots of things in the blue to teal range and also in the melon to orange range, and plenty of neutrals.

Option B appeals to me because I do enjoy a challenge and I would really like to try doing this without actually purchasing any fabric at all. I’ve got plenty of dark darks....hmmm they are mainly cool darks, not warm darks like Bonnie’s browns...

Rob
My browns are really maroons with a brownish hint.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:56 AM

I went with dark grays - but also brightened up the aquas and went much more orange than coral.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:59 AM

Here are mine for clue #2. I'll work on trimming them up during the week.

Got the the alternates cut and ready to sew - need to change out the white thread first.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I am in this year, my first. I love all her quilts.

This is my beginning.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584702[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc08366.jpg  
Old 12-03-2017, 07:02 AM

Great colors everyone. Sewbiz, cheddar and blue bestill my heart, I love the drama of blue / cheddar combo, ube your 9 patch colors are calm but sparkle
Old 12-03-2017, 07:16 AM

alva, it always depends on the size of the print. Your fabric print is small enough to be able to use this as salmon, absolutely. The images are much smaller than I thought they would be with just the fabric, nothing for perspective. Way cute!

I got my strips cut yesterday, when I leave here I'll go up and start stitching. Exciting!
I remember one mystery (cotton boll?) where the clue was "make 700 half square triangles", 2" finished. I'm glad I kept up the courage to keep making them, they were what make the quilt move and dance.
Our geese will too, I'll bet on it
Old 12-03-2017, 07:35 AM

sewbizgirl, you caught up in a hurry! Those are beautiful!

peaceandjoy, I'm so sorry you had to take all of those apart! It is so easy to make an error without a visual reference. I am also coming to appreciate the charm of small-piece quilts as I do more Bonnie mysteries.

Macybaby, I love your coral selection

ube quilting, your soft aquas are beautiful.

I spent yesterday cutting neutrals, and hope to finish the coral cutting today, and get sewing!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Such a lovely little 99, Theresa! It has the same decals as my 1942 66-18. Next year I'm thinking of getting a 99. I would like a Featherweight but they cost so much.

Everyone is doing so well here on clue 2! I have not been able to fit any sewing in yet today, but I'm hoping I'll be able to finish cutting out all of my geese pieces this evening.
The 99's are cute, but they are a solid, heavy machine. My 1955 99k in the cabinet has the other set of decals, with the eye and rectangular outside design. I also have a featherweight and a 301, and for a portable machine they are much easier to handle. One of the really cool things is that the feed dogs drop on the 301. There are rumors that Westalee is making a slant ruler foot and I am looking forward to that. I just do love my Singers, I know there are other manufacturers out there, but for some reason these old Singer machines really appeal to me.