Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Nice geese, Sync... and I'm loving the Singers!

NZQuilter, consider looking for a 301 rather than a featherweight or 99. They are the first 'Slant-O-Matic's that Singer made, so the visibility and access to the bobbin are really great. The best thing about them is that they are gear-driven machines, much stronger than belt driven machines like the FW and the 99. You get way more bang for your buck. The 301 is only 16 lbs, just 5 lbs. heavier than the FW. They have a fold down handle in the top of the arm to carry them with. If you are lucky enough to get one in a cabinet, they have a quick release lever that lets you pick them right up out of the cabinet. A 99 weighs about 30 lbs. They are heavy little suckers.

I see 301's most commonly at Estate sales, which is where I got both of mine. I paid $50 for a perfect one in a cabinet with a bench full of tools and stuff. The second one I paid $25 for, in a lovely cabinet. It needed new cords so I got it for cheap at the end of an estate sale. Check your Craigslists and estate sales!

I've been making my 100 geese all day, and will take a photo as soon as I finish trimming.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:21 PM

Looking beautiful, Belfrybat and Sync!

AlvaStitcher, I love the bird coral fabric! It's a yes vote from me.

Bluebonnets, those are swoon worthy!
Old 12-02-2017, 05:28 PM

I've been looking at the clue photos demonstrating the use of Bonnie's ruler. That looks like a very awkward cutting angle for the neutrals. Those of you using it, do you cut from the top down, or do you move your body to the side to make the cut?
Old 12-02-2017, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I've been looking at the clue photos demonstrating the use of Bonnie's ruler. That looks like a very awkward cutting angle for the neutrals. Those of you using it, do you cut from the top down, or do you move your body to the side to make the cut?
It must be awkward because my ruler was flopping everywhere till I got it where it needed to go (I'm angley challenged) Yes, I did cut from the top down for the most part. I'm afraid Bonnie would gasp if she had seen it but she didn't and all is well.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:07 PM

Good tips, Sewbiz. I didn't know the 301 weighed about half of a 99. I'm looking for a portable vintage sewing machine that not too heavy. I know everyone bows down to the Featherweights and if one fell into my lap I would take it, but the 301 does sound like a good option indeed. I'll keep my eyes open for one. They seem kind hard to come by in my area though.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Love those colors/fabrics, Bluebonnets.

Here are my 100 geese. Done. I can sew other things until next weekend!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584695[/ATTACH]

Here is a guess, just to show my colors together. Sort of a star block... probably wrong.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584696[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3134.jpg   img_3135.jpg  
Old 12-02-2017, 06:32 PM

Well! I have been busy! I have my 9 patch units done for Clue #1 and only have 2 extra strips. My math wasn't too off!!! I have the 400 side/backgrounds cut for the Geese units and will start on the 200 triangles for Clue #2! The husband says that's too many pieces and too small...haha!
So far so good!
Thanks and I love seeing everyones progress so far!
Kirsten
Old 12-02-2017, 08:15 PM

sewbizgirl, love the strong corals and the soft coral neutrals you have selected. the variety you have chosen is awesome
Old 12-02-2017, 08:19 PM

sync, what pretty peachy pinks you have selected. They look soft and delicate, and play nice with your neutrals.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:33 PM

This is the first year that I haven't printed off the clues; my printer is not working (I don't use it much, so suspect that the ink is dry, but really don't want to buy more bc it'll just dry out again!!). Well, I should have printed at the library, or at least made myself a sketch.

I did the 9 patches w. colors in the wrong places. Thought about scrapping them and starting them again, as it would have been faster than picking them apart and re-using the ones I could. But as I will be close on the gray (where Bonnie uses brown), I didn't quite dare. So I picked them all apart. I have a Lot of 1-1/2" neutral squares. Grrr. While I originally thought I would finally be able to keep up with the clues (having retired this past summer), I haven't even got my 9-patches back together! Those will be finished tomorrow, leaving me a few days to get Clue 2 done.

For those struggling with FG units, I highly recommend Bloc Loc rulers. They are pricey, but help so much in trimming those units to perfection.

My plan to not buy fabric went out the window today. A shop I like very much, Material Rewards in Dansville, had a demo/make and take for EPP and wool applique, combined with a 20% off sale. I don't want to use my usual neutrals in this quilt; I tend to cream and a bit darker, but wanted closer to white. They also have a large selection of FQ's, so I picked several up. Oops!

Last week I got a lap quilt back from the quilter that was from a top I did in 2005!! It was a Katiedid Mystery, called Gems in the Ruff. It's okay, but the thing I don't like about 1 day mysteries is that the pieces are huge! Once you've done a BH quilt, those big pieces are just not as interesting.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-03-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS