Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 85 of 88 FirstFirst ... 35 75 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2191

Thread: On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Nice finish, Alvastitcher. Lucy is adorable.

Wow, Auntjo... there's a lot going on, on that design wall! All of the options look pretty to me.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you Auntjo for posting those options. It is helping me to make decisions...I think.

I really like the brown sashing strips AuntJo - it really makes the Aqua pop!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

AlvaStitcher, yours turned out beautifully. I just love your shades of coral and aqua.

Wow, that's an eyeful, AuntJo, and very helpful to see the various effects.
    Lisa

NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
    Thanks for all your comments. I think I have a better understanding now. I usually like to be in control, know what the ending will be and so look forward to mystery quilts where I have no control. I just thought if you were doing a mystery quilt, you had to follow the directions exactly. Silly me!
    When I taught a mystery quilt this summer at our quilt camp, I taught the block and the "mystery" was how to put the block together once I taught the layout and technique of the block. Since there were several different designs (as there often are), the "mystery" was solving how they would put theirs together. So each solved it their way . Wonder why I didn't think of the BH mystery !

I am almost to the halfway point putting the top together, but got distracted with finishing a baby quilt for a friend and making a few zipper bags for gifts that I need on Saturday. I'll get back to it next week and probably finish it up. I have a good size piece of fabric that I think I can use as backing. Cross my fingers, don't want to buy anything if I don't have to.

All the quilt tops and variations in design and color are just stunning, really. You've all done a great job.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    To quote Young Mr. Grace from Are You Being Served ...

“You’ve all done very well!”

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I finally have some blocks to experiment with. I'm afraid my neutral sashing clashes with the bright setting triangles, and I'm not sure the alternate block is helping anything. Any and all comments would be appreciated!

The other option would be to just use a plain light colored sashing. I like the clarity that gives to the blocks. That's my objection to the coral sashing -- the block seems less distinct in the midst of all that coral. But as usually happens, the more I look at other options, the closer I get to embracing Bonnie's design.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lisa

Blog Entries
    Keep at it Joe's mom, remember it is a scrappy quilt. and looking lovely. I'm getting a UFO off my design wall, then I'll be back at the Mystery.

Lisa, I really like your first option with the brown chevrons. This is my current best option, but I may have to make some of the parallelograms with the brown - it certainly adds more movement and intrigue plus looking at yours convinces me to place them on-point. Thank you for sharing.

Oh My Gosh Sewbizgirl, 2073--I just love your quilt and your color selection and placement. WOW, your's is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing. Karen

Carol, thanks for your input! There's something bugging me about my neutral chevrons -- they're just too cold looking. It seems clearer to me when I view them beside the coral. I think it might have worked if I'd had some warmer neutrals in my stash, but I don't want to buy any more fabric at this stage, and I think it would be really hit and miss trying to find just the right shade on line. I think I will go ahead with the coral, but there are still my blocks to finish up first. I do love those little fat crosses!
    Lisa

I worked on mine last night - just 5 more seams to sew and it will be put together. I'll try to post a photo later today.
    Last edited by kristakz; 01-13-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Joe'smom, you certainly have wracked your brain with this quilt! The possibilities are really endless, aren't they? I like your layout in photo 3 the best (Bonnie's layout). It is just the most cohesive. When she designs she never compartmentalizes her blocks by separating them with sashings. People tried to do that with her Grand Illusion quilt when they couldn't handle all the movement. But she always designs with movement and every part interacting with every other. I think once you get the top sewn together you will like the design more. Hang in there!
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html

Thanks, sewbizgirl! I agree, Bonnie's layout is the most cohesive. I go through this process of trying modifications, which helps me to understand her design better, and then I come around to it. I really love all of my units, so I'm excited to finally have things settled, and I can now sew my clue 3s end to end (I had put that off in case I used them as a border). I've decided to do a 4x5 rather than a 5x6, which means I'll be able to eliminate some of the blocks that had value issues.
    Lisa

Terry says: "Thanks for all your comments. I think I have a better understanding now. I usually like to be in control, know what the ending will be and so look forward to mystery quilts where I have no control. I just thought if you were doing a mystery quilt, you had to follow the directions exactly. Silly me!"

Terry, Please do not feel that you have to apologize in any way for your comments. (I actually was wondering the same thing.) Some BHM followers are purists and would never dare stray from the original and others would never make the quilt exactly the way she makes it, in fact they take it on as a challenge to "change it up". There are no set of rules with this project or any other project as far as that goes. We all are individuals and are free to do our own thing. I cannot understand why some quilters want to insist that their way is the right way and only way without question. I enjoy seeing the quilts that are made as the pattern says and I also like to see the variations. Do I like all of the quilts I see, no; but "To each his own".

They all look so pretty, but now I'm trying some brown in BOnnie's sashing rather than the coral.. Think I'm liking it better than the solid brown - but haven't gotten enuf made to really tell yet. Here we go with repeating that step to make 240 more of those. I'm liking seeing the coral pieces used in the chevron border design and since I want to finish at a wide queen, need it to be wider anyway...
    Name:  trying out brown sashing web ready.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  364.2 KB

I think w/ the brown (dark) chevron sashing those are the ones that seem to have circles in the quilt. (at least I think that is what is doing it) it looks great when it happens on the ones on FB, but I'm not 100% sure if that is what is giving the circle look or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by auntjo View Post
    They all look so pretty, but now I'm trying some brown in BOnnie's sashing rather than the coral.. Think I'm liking it better than the solid brown - but haven't gotten enuf made to really tell yet. Here we go with repeating that step to make 240 more of those. I'm liking seeing the coral pieces used in the chevron border design and since I want to finish at a wide queen, need it to be wider anyway...
    Name:  trying out brown sashing web ready.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  364.2 KB
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Several have it, but this is the best version of the effect I'm talking about https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Thank you ladies for all the brainstorming on variations as well as the justifications and reasoning. This is my final (?) thought - pretty much all Bonnie's layout with the exception of the brown parallelograms which will be constant. I just haven't decided upon which color to use for the corner stones - the dark brown or peach/orange. Now my goal is to set up kits and finish 5 blocks per day.
    It certainly has been a journey with many miles to go for me, but seeing everyone's creations has made the journey enjoyable.

Very nice, Carol! I think your pieced brown sashings are going to work better than the solid brown... good choice! If it were me, I'd do a contrast cornerstone, like either the peach or blue. Just my opinion.

Now that looks lovely, Carol! The brown sets it so nicely.
    Quilters do not make mistakes, only variations

Auntjo, I love how yours is looking. And I enjoy looking at your other projects on the design wall too
    Quilters do not make mistakes, only variations

Carol - I agree with the brown sashing too. Wonderful!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Page 85 of 88 FirstFirst ... 35 75 84 85 86 ... LastLast