Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-06-2017, 07:40 AM

Thank you SewBizGirl! I've learned several lessons that a newbie must learn in order to come up with accurate 9 patches! Now I'm fiddling with the geese and am learning even more I purchased both recommended rulers and have started with the Simple Folded Corners 'No Trim' option. Most are measuring well. Plan to try the 'Oversized/Trim Down' option next then I will give-it-a-go with the Essential Triangle ruler. Figure I'll find what suits me the best.

I've read several comments from experienced quilters that the BH mysteries will "make you a much better quilter" and that's exactly why I've taken the challenge. Please feel free to point out anything you may see in my pics/posts - I appreciate any/all feedback

Happy Sewing -
Christine

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Christine, your 9 patches are beautiful. Your intersections are all *perfect*!
Old 12-06-2017, 08:28 AM

If I don't find a way to speed up the process, I won't finish the clue by Friday. Hoping for a productive day today!
Old 12-06-2017, 08:35 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I know I won’t finish before Friday. That’s OK. They are at least all cut.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
Thank you SewBizGirl! I've learned several lessons that a newbie must learn in order to come up with accurate 9 patches! Now I'm fiddling with the geese and am learning even more I purchased both recommended rulers and have started with the Simple Folded Corners 'No Trim' option. Most are measuring well. Plan to try the 'Oversized/Trim Down' option next then I will give-it-a-go with the Essential Triangle ruler. Figure I'll find what suits me the best.

I've read several comments from experienced quilters that the BH mysteries will "make you a much better quilter" and that's exactly why I've taken the challenge. Please feel free to point out anything you may see in my pics/posts - I appreciate any/all feedback

Happy Sewing -
Christine
Christine,
Anything you do, then repeat 50, 75, or 100 times is gonna give you new skills. Repetition is a great teacher. After all those repeats I’ve pretty much made every mistake possible!
Old 12-06-2017, 10:01 AM

Julie -- both blues a lovely, but I lean towards the lighter since you want good contrast with the navy.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:43 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584882[/ATTACH]
Here I am, everything looks alike! This is as scrappy as it gets for me. I’ve tried and failed many times. I love how other people’s scrappies look but my brain has a ROAD CLOSED sign on that exit ramp! Is it Friday yet?
Attached Thumbnails 11d5b95f-fcf4-41da-a8c7-9fd58e569ebb.jpeg  
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 AM

So pretty, GramE! I'm in-between with BH quilts because I'm not a fan of most novelty prints and like the orderliness of a quilt, but love her designs and the mystery. I am making Talking Turkey right now, with just a few different neutrals-I think I will like it!

Last edited by thutch; 12-06-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by thutch View Post
So pretty-I'm an inbetween because I'm not a fan of most novelty prints and like the orderliness of a quilt.

I picked out two neutrals, 2 aquas & 2 corals. I did this on the last Bonnie Hunter & it worked out ok. I picked 4 neutrals though and it caused a bit of havoc. I don’t have novelty prints either! forgot, I have one brownish maroon to use but I had one fat quarter that just fit the center of my 9 patch. About as much risk as i’m Gonna take!

Last edited by GramE; 12-06-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
I picked out two neutrals, 2 aquas & 2 corals. I did this on the last Bonnie Hunter & it worked out ok. I picked 4 neutrals though and it caused a bit of havoc. I don’t have novelty prints either! forgot, I have one brownish maroon to use but I had one fat quarter that just fit the center of my 9 patch. About as much risk as i’m Gonna take!
Love the flowers you have as centers of your 9-patches.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:40 PM

I'm very slowly getting my FGs done. With help from great QB friends I'll try to post a photo, my geese look very yellow in it, they are really more towards Peridot
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584885[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20171205_153110%5B1%5D.jpg