Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-29-2017, 08:49 AM

Rob, Your complete steps look wonderful. Your fabrics plays well together.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
the priority boxes say same price up to 60 pounds...I don't think I've ever been able to get more than 20-ish in. Must be how ft. knox sends out gold..you know our government, always has an eye to saving taxpayers dollars.

I only had enough red left to do about 75 triangles. I shouldn't have dedicated this mystery to using up some 1800's reproductions. A case of be careful what you ask for? I'm thinking if I coffee dye some regular reds it might add some fabric to the mix.
As a former mail carrier, i’ve Had flat rate boxes that weighed up to 40 pounds. One customer was always ordering lead shot. I always hoped he was home to get his own pkg out of the trunk.

As I’ve been gathering the scraps, so many memories of what they made, or a few of what they didn’t make. I hope you have fun examining my past quilting life.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:16 AM

When I was buying vintage sewing machines, I had a lot of them shipped to me. Does not fit in a flat rate box, but most were over 40 lbs. One reason I bribe our mail carrier with jam and peanut brittle.

I've vacuum sealed scraps so I could fit more into a small flat rate box. Vacuum packed a king size quilt to get it to fit into a large flat rate box.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

...And at this late hour she gives us yet another ruler to order! Lovely. I think not.

(Kalama) "you know our government, always has an eye to saving taxpayers dollars." HAA! I nearly spit out my coffee reading that!

Very cool assortment of pieced units you have there, Rob.

My theory is that she has only a quickie for us today so we can complete it before the motherlode is dropped on us in only 3 days. I hope so, anyway. I want to see the reveal!

Happy piecing, everyone... where ever you are in the process.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:33 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Wow, GramE! 6.5 lbs of scraps is around 20 yds of fabric. Kalama, you sre in for a real treat.

If you had asked me, I would have said one of the remaining clues would be to make those pieced HST into squares, but my guess would have been with aqua, because we have so much left. Maybe Monday we will get info on what to do with the remaining aqua/neutrals. Border units, anyone?

Just ran out of magenta/vermilion. My stash is 700 miles away, so off to Dunedin! Look for some more neutrals, too. Down to maybe 1 yard, can always use more!

Last edited by Krisb; 12-29-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:45 AM

She surprised me, I thought they wouldn't be shaded 4 patches b/c she would have just had us make them to begin with. : /
Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I guessed right! Shaded 4 patches. So glad I didn't cut the rectangles apart. This will be an easy and quick step to finish. Which is good because I'm only halfway finished with the coral geese and haven't started on the brown yet. Instead of doing Merry Mayhem's New Year's Day mystery, I'll be working on all these geese. Hope to be caught up by Monday eve.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Back to finishing clue #4 so I can do clue #6.

It doesn't seem as though we've used enough aqua yet, does it?
Did you catch her statement that this will be the last time we use Coral? She didn't say anything about any of the other colors. If this statement is a clue, then our next clue will include aqua, neutral and brown.

Makes me glad I reserved some of the neutrals I used in the other clues. Even if I add another neutral, I wanted at least some of them to remain constant in all of the units.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Well this clue seems to seal the fate of an on point layout. I am going to have to think about my assembly / quilting plans. My original idea isn't going to work w/ an en point layout, but maybe a modified version of my original plan will hmmmmmmmmm.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
When I was buying vintage sewing machines, I had a lot of them shipped to me. Does not fit in a flat rate box, but most were over 40 lbs. One reason I bribe our mail carrier with jam and peanut brittle.

I've vacuum sealed scraps so I could fit more into a small flat rate box. Vacuum packed a king size quilt to get it to fit into a large flat rate box.
Macy, there have been times when the peanut brittle didn’t even make it to the next mailbox! But some times I had more than a mile between boxes! Thank you for treating your mail carrier. We all love a treat once in a while.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:26 AM

I am wondering about the left over aqua and brown - maybe squares of these fabrics? or is that wishful thinking? I want to start putting all these pieces together!

I love seeing everyone's fabrics and progress