Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 01-12-2018, 03:52 AM

That’s gorgeous Sewbiz! I really like the layout you decided on and really really like that border with it!

Rob
Old 01-12-2018, 04:01 AM

SBG you really knocked my socks off with that ORLake. Wow total Wow.

I'd like to see how far you are on Allietare. I've got the 30 blocks done in greens and orange. Now for the purple/gray blocks....only need 20, but I'm stuck. Just plain stuck. I also think I am stuck in the house, because I still have to go outside to get to the quilting area. And we have freezing rain.

Marcia

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-14-2018 at 04:33 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 01-12-2018, 04:33 AM

Ringo’s sister really sparkles Kassandra!

I like seeing all the alternate layouts. I have enjoyed the camaraderie of working together on the units and have seen it as an oppportunity to work on improving my piecing skills and to reduce some of my scrap stash. Beyond that, well, the individual units are very versatile and can be combined in a variety of ways, as can the completed blocks. For a variety of reasons, such as color, value and patterns in my individual fabric choices, My blocks may be better suited to a different layout than the one Bonnie used and I’m fine with that since I enjoy playing “what if” when I’m making a quilt

Oh, brrr, hope the freezing rain lets up soon, Marcia.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 01-12-2018 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:45 AM

SBG, great finish on that quilt!

My blocks have all been sewn, now I am debating if I want to use the sashing that we made per Bonnie's instructions or try something else.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:37 AM

Wow- SBG, that really turned out nice!

Sue - your design still really looks nice, and I'm going to save the idea using the chevron sashing to get that "oval" look for a future quilt. It might really shine in one where the main blocks aren't so busy.

Terry - This is my third mystery, and I never feel like I'm signing on to end up with a specific quilt - but that I'm agreeing to go through the process and join in with the group. Being allowed to experiment and specuclate is such a learning experience for those of us that haven't been doing this for all that long.

If we all had to follow lock step with Bonnie's colors, methods and end product - then it would just be sewing/cutting technique that we are learning. For me, there has been nothing in this quilt as to sewing or cutting technique that I felt I benefited from (IE - nothing new). However I've gotten a lot of ideas and learned quite a bit about color selection and placement that I'll use going forward.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
SBG you really knocked my socks off with that ORLake. Wow total Wow.

I'd like to see how far you are on Allietare. I've got the 30 blocks done in greens and orange. Now for the purple/gray blocks....only need 20, but I'm stuck. Just plain stuck. I also think I am stuck in the house, because I still have to go outside to get to the quilting area. And we have freezing rain.

Marcia
Thank you.... My Allietare blocks are all sewn, as are the setting triangles. I have had them up on a design wall upstairs for about a year or more... Don't know what my problem is getting those blocks sewn together but I need to do it and get it finished up. I really like the quilt.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-14-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:57 AM

SBG - Great finish! I really love your border, it is just wonderful. I might just steal your design for mine:-)
Old 01-12-2018, 08:10 AM

Finally got the top together after two days of sewing, ripping, sewing again and sometimes ripping and sewing AGAIN! LOL But it is together, pressed and ready some day to layer and quilt. I just used Bonnie's pattern and setting. I am glad that my corals are mostly coral to salmon rather than orange. It is not quite so bright which I like better. Lucy decided to do an inspection as I was preparing to take the picture. She seemed to approve.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586935[/ATTACH]

I admire all the blocks, layouts and quilt tops that have been posted with all the variations of the pattern. Too numerous to mention individually but they are all lovely. Great work everyone! There is so much creativity in the members of this board. You are blessed.
Attached Thumbnails ringo-lake.jpg  
Old 01-12-2018, 10:28 AM

Thank you Lisa and Rob for your input. I think I need to put mine aside for awhile...I'm not sure the green or the brown sashes are the answer either. I see so many beautiful colors and variations on this board so I may just linger and watch for more inspiration. This board is so full of wonderful people and creative minds, it is just fun to be a part of such a group.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:31 AM

Got the blocks done, now to decide how I want to lay them out for the top. The original just feels too melony overall to me..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]586947[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails trying-decide-block-layout-web-ready.jpg