Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 01-11-2018, 06:51 PM

SBG! I love it! Just love it! What a beauty! I've really been into orange the last couple of years, and your ORL orange and blue reminds me so much of my orange and blue quilt I made that I really enjoy. Your border pieces are larger than the center pieces, so it seem okay for your corners to be large pieces. Are the size of the corner pieces the reason you are thinking about changing them?

Kassaundra, I like how you've used the ORL units the way you like. I agree, if you got the inspiration from BH, and you followed along with a group of people all working on the mystery together, why not say you were doing the same, that is, working on the mystery, even when your end project is not the same. That sounds okay to me. :-)

Last edited by givio; 01-11-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:00 PM

Sewbiz: Your quilt is amazing. I love it! Your colors are great. Love the orange and blue. Congrats on the top done!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:04 PM

Great job Sewbiz!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:34 PM

Beautiful quilt Sewbiz.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 PM

The Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt is always fun and most of the fun is seeing others' fabric choices, tweaks, changes etc. Even seeing Bonnie's completed quilt and others in same colorway shows differences. Just like buying a pattern and making a quilt, you can always make it yours. We quilt for the creation and the creativity. Sometimes your muse is dancing to a different rhythm.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:06 PM

It seems we all did the same units of this mystery - it is just that we arranged them in a different manner! That is okay in my book! I have always heard Bonnie say how she liked the various versions of her mysteries.

SBG - I love how your quilt finished. That border is fantastic!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:54 PM

Carol, I like the green in there, and I prefer the first option, because it concentrates the brown less, which I think is better with the brown sashing.

Sue, I like that revised version better.

Sewbiz, what a triumph. That is simply wonderful!!

Kassaundra, that's looking lovely.

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
Just a question , not meant as a criticism for anyone:
Why do so many want to change the layout Bonnie created? It is her design for which we "signed on." I can understand adding boarders as she said we might want to do or even changing the existing pattern a little for whatever reason, but changing the whole layout means it is not the mystery quilt she created. When you do change it significantly,do you still consider you have done the 2017 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt?
I think people change Bonnie's layout because there's something about it they don't like. We don't know what we're making as we make the clues, and there's always a chance with a mystery that you'll end up not liking it. It would be a shame if someone put in all that work and ended up with nothing, so it's fortunate that Bonnie's designs are so versatile.

With ORL, Bonnie's quilt looks beautiful to me, but seeing mine on my design wall, my eye is confused by the coral sashing, so I'm going to try another color, and I'll try an alternate block because the secondary design isn't coming through with my colors. If someone has joined in the madness and done the clues, I consider that they've done the Bonnie Hunter mystery, even if the outcome is very different. Usually they remain recognizable as the Bonnie mystery.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:01 PM

everyone's quilt is looking great. my apologies for not listing them all. I don't have the creativity to veer off into another layout option. But I appreciate others talents. Such a great group!
Old 01-11-2018, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for all the sweet comments, y'all.

Maybe now I can go back and finish my Allietare!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Maybe now I can go back and finish my Allietare!
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who hasn't finished that one.