Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 01-27-2018, 06:26 PM

Kathy, you did a splendid job and love the subtle change you made with the sashing. It turned out beautifully.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:16 PM

Quilting Vagabond, that turned out fantastic. I love what you did with the sashing. The blue sashing in the middle just seems to balance and calm down all that coral/melon.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:18 PM

Well, I finally got those pesky Parallelograms in step 3 completed. There has to be a quicker and more accurate way to do them.
I am almost completed with Step 6.
I am leaving on vacation on the 2nd...so then I will be putting blocks together. This was one of my more difficult quilt tops to piece to date.
I think it was a difficult Bonnie Hunter mystery! So far!
Don't get me wrong...I love Bonnie taking the time and writing everything up. I am grateful for what she does.
I am challenged, and I learn something about quilting and myself each time.
Kirsten
Old 01-28-2018, 02:37 AM

Great job, Kathy! I love your variety of scraps and how you used more aqua in the center. Well done!

Kristen, I agree with you, this is a challenging quilt! I didn't fully realize that until I started putting everything together. I generally don't need to use my seam ripper a lot, but that sashing was making me use it more that ever!
Old 01-28-2018, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
Well, I finally got those pesky Parallelograms in step 3 completed. There has to be a quicker and more accurate way to do them.
Quicker, yes. More accurate, not so sure. One of the ladies I was quilting with came up with a quick method for making them from fabric strips. But when I did it, mine came out up to 1/4" off (the corners didn't meet correctly). I thought I could live with it, because Bonnie's quilts are so busy, but those dratted blocks were the sashing and where they meet the cornerstones is pretty much the most visible piece of the quilt. I ripped out and resewed over 40 of them they were so bad, and I am NOT a ripper
Old 01-28-2018, 07:28 AM

QuiltingVagabond, that was a lovely idea to vary the sashing color. Congratulations on finishing your top!

I agree that this is one of the more difficult BH mysteries. I think the pieces were smallest overall of the four mysteries I've done, and there is so much matching to be done when dealing with that sashing. I am hoping to complete my longest sashing row today, and then it will be downhill the rest of the way!

I ended up doing two sets of those pesky parallelograms, the first one using the drawing lines method, which took forever. They were pretty accurate though. The second time, I used the 'Bonnie' method, cutting the parallelograms with the folded corners ruler and the triangles with the Easy Angle. That was much faster; they were wonkier, but so far I haven't had trouble using them.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:29 AM

Carol in WI, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. Take it slow and easy. Maybe in time when you are ready, finishing the project will be a healing process.

QV, I just love your BHMQ top and the changes you have made. In fact I love all of the finished tops and the creative changes made. Each top is a ten to me.

I have 5 steps completely sewn (they all need to be squared); Steps 2 & 4 & 5 need squared and ironing. Step 3 and 9 (sewing step 3 in pairs) needs to be finished. Not started steps 7 & 8 & sew step 3 together in pairs. Still making slow progress. So I'm turning the 1st corner of the track of 4 corners, then the finish line. I'll pos pics when I finish all of steps 1-7. Happy sewing everyone.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:12 AM

I just finished my second top from Bonnie's mystery this year. First one was her layout, but smaller (32 blocks). This one used 15 blocks, a few extra sashing pieces and I made 8 more 9-patches for the corner stones. This will be a donation to Victoria's Quilts once I get it quilted.

One of my 3 leftover blocks will be the pocket for the presentation bag for this quilt. Then, I just have to decide how to use the last 2 blocks, and my Bonnie Hunter Ringo Lake adventure will be complete.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587913[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1271281.jpg  
Old 01-28-2018, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful, Krista....
Old 01-28-2018, 10:46 AM

Krista, that looks great!! I like those 9-patches as corner stones. Thanks for sharing.