Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-22-2017, 06:42 AM

I've also got a Zero Holiday Obligations weekend. Which is good after having DD, future SIL and two larger dogs in the house the last two weekends. The spare bedroom is where I keep my stash so I had to haul everything off the bed into the sewing room while they were here. Plus no early morning sewing since I didn't want to wake them.

I started getting caught up with clue 3 for my alternate quilts, have not cut clue 4 for them yet. So I'll have a lot to work on to keep my busy and happy.

Been getting a lot more time in with the LA - I've got quite a stack of quilts needing bindings now. At least I've gotten better about cutting the bindings when I'm cutting the pieces, so there are only a few that I'll have to cut strips for.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:02 AM

I think I'm going to do the 4-at-a-time with the big squares method for the geese this time! I'm working from yardage, so I don't have to cut the fabric into strips. I'm hoping to have time to try one today! Tonight I have to pack up my remote sewing station here at Mom's to transport it to the ski lodge! I'll be sewing while everyone else is skiing!
Old 12-22-2017, 08:46 AM

Does anyone know if there are dies to cut these out quickly and accurately? My previous clue came out a bit larger and I had to trim down.
It's going to be crazy at work this weekend and next week so I am hoping I can get started today or tomorrow morning.
Thanks for all the help.
Kirsten
Old 12-22-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I now have all my striped QST sewn for the back. I think there are 64 9 inch squares so I will likely need borders for the back, but I'm not going any further on those until I know the layout and how big my ORL will be.
Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
Does anyone know if there are dies to cut these out quickly and accurately? My previous clue came out a bit larger and I had to trim down.
It's going to be crazy at work this weekend and next week so I am hoping I can get started today or tomorrow morning.
Thanks for all the help.
Kirsten
For those who want to die cut this clue, for the geese I’m using Go! die 55396 qst 3” finished triangle, and for the neutral sky die 55319 hst 1 1/2” finished triangle. Or if you prefer the Quilt in a Day rulers, it is the Small Flying Geese Ruler.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:10 PM

Are we seeing borders of geese?
Old 12-22-2017, 02:32 PM

Cut, and lines drawn--will sew tomorrow.

In case I don't get a chance later, I wish you all Happy Holidays--enjoy the season.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:46 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Cut, going to try the simple folded squares ruler.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Guest for Christmas eve.
I'll be using the fast- 4 on clue #5. I hope we do Not have the spinning movement of Grand I. in this quilt.
Happy Holidays to everyone. We are getting are first snowfall right now, about an inch-plus on the ground, huge
fat fluffy flakes.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:31 PM

I'm officially giving up on Easy Angle/Companion Angle for geese. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but every one has the top pieces slanting down. At this point, I'm just glad Easy Angle worked well for me on clue #4.

After my geese trouble on clue #2, I wimped out and bought the Deb Tucker Wing Clipper ruler. This is a cut-down ruler for the 4-at-a-time method made slightly larger. So that's what I'll go forward with. I've made one set, and it is a rather fun method, and should prove faster for me than the basic method (I hope).
Old 12-22-2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I'm officially giving up on Easy Angle/Companion Angle for geese. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but every one has the top pieces slanting down. At this point, I'm just glad Easy Angle worked well for me on clue #4.

After my geese trouble on clue #2, I wimped out and bought the Deb Tucker Wing Clipper ruler. This is a cut-down ruler for the 4-at-a-time method made slightly larger. So that's what I'll go forward with. I've made one set, and it is a rather fun method, and should prove faster for me than the basic method (I hope).

Use what works for you! I draw lines on squares and get the best results. I don't mind drawing the lines since I know it works. Yes, there is a bit of waste--will it matter in 20 years? Enjoy and set yourself up for success.