Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 108 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Krista - I really like your inspiration print. I went through my stash and decided I didn't have the right choices to use for a Christmas theme (but I did find a nice Christmas Panel I forgot about).

But I did come up with these to make a smaller quilt. I'm not sure when I bought the beige, but the other three were bought as attempts to get the right color for the border of the quilt that will be going on my bed. I needed to expand it from queen to king size and bought several fabrics and then decided to expand the pattern and not use borders at all.

When I read what Kassaundra wrote about exchanging dark and light, I read it as "exchanging dark for light" and that got me excited. So I'm going to use the beige as brown, and the burgundy for the neutral. The gold and print will be the aqua and coral.

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Cool beans there will be two of us going to the dark side!!!! lol I love these colors it will look rich and elegant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    Krista - I really like your inspiration print. I went through my stash and decided I didn't have the right choices to use for a Christmas theme (but I did find a nice Christmas Panel I forgot about).

But I did come up with these to make a smaller quilt. I'm not sure when I bought the beige, but the other three were bought as attempts to get the right color for the border of the quilt that will be going on my bed. I needed to expand it from queen to king size and bought several fabrics and then decided to expand the pattern and not use borders at all.

When I read what Kassaundra wrote about exchanging dark and light, I read it as "exchanging dark for light" and that got me excited. So I'm going to use the beige as brown, and the burgundy for the neutral. The gold and print will be the aqua and coral.

"Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Very exciting, Macybaby!
    Lisa

@ Battle Axe: Great idea! Thanks, love Pinterest.
    Denise

You do not simply stumble upon the happy life.....you make it!

Oh this is going to be fun with such a wide variety of fabrics to be used. My first "sew along" had been the New Quilting Bee 2017 and it has been amazing to me seeing all of the blocks in different fabrics. I am so surprised at how it can change the look.

So now what to we do for the next 2 1/2 weeks! LOL The waiting is always a killer with mysteries:-)
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

Woo-hoo! Exciting, Cathy!! Kass, love the dark side pun, LOL! Sounds like something my DH would say
    Quilters do not make mistakes, only variations

1912 White Rotary Treadle, 1942 Singer 66-16, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    Attachment 583300Here are mine. I am short in the aquas and do not have the third DMC floss in Aqua. They were out of 924. My neutrals do not have any funny things in them. Help me out here. What else do I need?

KP I would leave all of them in. The odd man out ones give it punch.

Marcia
    Marcia could you list where to find those DMC numbers? I don't have access to the paint chips where I am. It would really be appreciated. pokey

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post

These are gorgeous fabrics, Cathy! Are you using the white/beige on the bottom, too?
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

To get ready: I decided today that I was going to finally try Bonnie's method for a seam guide using an old 'gift card'. Oh my gosh...can't believe I didn't do this before! It's works like a charm. I used some scrapbooking tape to stick it to my table/machine and sewed a number of things with it. (I'm webbing my MIL Christmas Quilt.) The 'card' makes a great seam guide, but also it's thickness is just perfect for a couple layers of fabric to it's a snap to glide your finger over the card & fabric as you sew.

I'm hooked now! Everything I've learned from Bonnie has just been fantastic. Webbing being my all-time favorite technique.
    Kristi

Blog Entries
    Ivory 712
    Chocolate 938
    Aqua 504, 993, 964
    Coral 3824, 352, 351

I do not know who posted it but it looks right. I did not get the 964 as they were out, so it is on back order. I think there were two other WOW (white on white) type colors I did not write down as I bought 100 yards of WOW from a fabric dealer on ebay. If you want his info, PM me. I told him 20 different ones, 5 yards each, got them for $3.45 plus shipping per yard.

It was a good move as I can never buy WOW fabrics. If I go to the store to get that, I come home with something colorful. So letting him pick out was better than me.

My Lowe's is too far away to get the paint cards. So I used the $$ I would have spent on gas and bought a pair of prestamped pillow cases to use the floss on.

Hope this helps.

Marcia

Blog Entries
    I found my notes, there were two other neutrals: New Ecru and Blanc besides # 712. I just bought 712.

My Lowe's is too far away to get the paint cards. So I used the $$ I would have spent on gas and bought a pair of prestamped pillow cases to use the floss on.

Hope this helps.

Marcia
    Smart!!

I never use Bonnie's paint chips myself. I just look at her color vaulues and go from that in my color choices. This year happened to coincide with the pinks, blues and browns that happened to be over taking my stash anyway.
    Last edited by NZquilter; 11-06-2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Silly Auto Correction Stepped In
    Quilters do not make mistakes, only variations

1912 White Rotary Treadle, 1942 Singer 66-16, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Name:  MVC-895S.JPG
Views: 416
Size:  33.0 KBThese are the fabrics I have chose to do this quilt, any suggestions or fabrics I should reconsider?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cheesehead; 11-06-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Oh my goodness! Those are beautiful, Cheesehead!
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Count me in for another round. I can't wait! I still have the binding to hand sew for last year's and never did the wave/scallop border on the year before that...and then there's Orca Bay, still on step 2! Eeek!!
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Cheesehead, the only one that stands out to me is the brown with all the white. For me, it' reads way too light for the brown (darks) group.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Name:  20171106_111631_resized_1.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  497.0 KBJust received the Whittle bundle of 10 FQ of coral. Now it looks like I do not have enough aqua. I separated out the 4 pinkish ones next to the chocolate ones. I'm not sure if I'll use those.
    Last edited by Battle Axe; 11-06-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: more information

Blog Entries
    Very nice collection, Cheesehead. Makes me want more aqua.

Marcia

Blog Entries
    It will be fun to watch everyone's progress on the mystery, this year I think I'll print the clues, but be on the sidelines watching everyone else, I still have last years mystery top to sandwich and quilt up. Life and getting down on the floor to make those quilt sandwiches has taken it's toll on my knees.

Thanks MacyBaby I will remove that fabric, there are more than enough browns so that won't be a problem. Actually that fabric doesn't have a white design on brown it was a turquoise. But it may read white when doing the quilt and I know I would have been disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    Name:  MVC-895S.JPG
Views: 416
Size:  33.0 KBThese are the fabrics I have chose to do this quilt, any suggestions or fabrics I should reconsider?
    Nice fabrics! The only one that stands out to me is the 2nd one down in the coral pile, it is almost too pink. But then I am not a fan of pink, so it is probably personal bias:-)
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a

Name:  20171106_111631_resized_1.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  497.0 KBJust received the Whittle bundle of 10 FQ of coral. Now it looks like I do not have enough aqua. I separated out the 4 pinkish ones next to the chocolate ones. I'm not sure if I'll use those.
    This is a great selection too! It is so fun seeing all of these:-)
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter

Quote Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
    Nice fabrics! The only one that stands out to me is the 2nd one down in the coral pile, it is almost too pink. But then I am not a fan of pink, so it is probably personal bias:-)
    Thanks Theresa, that fabric was in my stash and it's a blend of pinks and corals. I have been adding that fabric to the pile, taking it out and adding it back in again. I've been on the fence about that fabric since the very beginning. I am now planning on leaving it out for good this time.

We are returning to Wisconsin next week and I plan to hit a few more quilt shops, already have my Lowe's color swatches packed!

Blog Entries
    Hot Diggity Dog-Just found this thread and doing a Happy Dance! My first BH MQ (first ever MQ)was last year and loved doing it So much!! I totally used Bonnies colors and pattern to a T so mine looks like most everybody else but I learned so much doing it and am so excited about this years. I love the colors for this years so will stick with that. Only color I need more of is the coral-melons but lots of time left to get those. I'll post pic when I get all together! Here's my pic of MQ
    Name:  20170220_144648[1].jpg
Views: 390
Size:  1.06 MB

Hairquilt, Whittles sells FQ bundles of fabrics for this project, if you need them. You can buy just the corals, or just the aquas, or browns... etc. They were showing the actual fabric, but probably have sold out of the first collections and are assembling more.

https://www.whittlesfabrics.com/fabric-yardage/color-bundles-for-mystery

Your En Provence looks great!
    Last edited by sewbizgirl; 11-06-2017 at 07:36 PM.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 6 of 108 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 56 106 ... LastLast