Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-12-2017, 10:17 PM

I also caved and ordered the 'Folded Corner Ruler' from Bonnie. I used my Corner Pop for clue #3 and I can see that it's difficult to get accurate because it doesn't line up to the seam line. I studied Bonnie's pictures for the 'Folded Corner Ruler' and can see with the lines drawn on it and the direction it's used that it will create accurate cuts. The corner pop is cut from the other direction without a line on the seamline itself to help you line it up perfectly.

So...I decided a Christmas present to myself! And supporting Bonnie for all the work and effort she does to run this mystery. I bought: a Folded Corner Ruler, some Ruler Stickers, and the Seam Guide thing with the little holes in it! Ho Ho Ho!!

Last edited by kristijoy; 12-12-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I also caved and ordered the 'Folded Corner Ruler' from Bonnie. I used my Corner Pop for clue #3 and I can see that it's difficult to get accurate because it doesn't line up to the seam line. I studied Bonnie's pictures for the 'Folded Corner Ruler' and can see with the lines drawn on it and the direction it's used that it will create accurate cuts. The corner pop is cut from the other direction without a line on the seamline itself to help you line it up perfectly.

So...I decided a Christmas present to myself! And supporting Bonnie for all the work and effort she does to run this mystery. I bought: a Folded Corner Ruler, some Ruler Stickers, and the Seam Guide thing with the little holes in it! Ho Ho Ho!!
Merry Christmas to you! I have purchased quite a few rulers, etc., from her, and I just ordered the ruler stickers too. Even though certain things may be a few dollars cheaper elsewhere, I buy from her because she does give us so much information and of course, the free quilt designs on her website and the Mystery each year. I always enjoy her Web Cams.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:08 AM

I am also considering the folded corners ruler. Just not sure how much it would be used. Sounds like BH has another book in the works. I'm looking forward to that and may buy the ruler then.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:21 AM

Bought the folded corners ruler when they first came out with it. Doug Ke??? was actually at the Shipshewana quilt show last June. He is very young!!

I do use it, but probably not as much as I should. It helps to re-watch the instructional video. Merry Christmas Kristijoy.

Marcia
Old 12-13-2017, 05:08 AM

I wasn't too sure about the Folded Corners Ruler when Bonnie recommended it. I've never bought such an expensive piece of plastic. But I have to say, it made my clue three units so easy! I actually enjoy these little things. And I use the ruler for all my squaring up/trimming, not only in this MQ but in other projects too. Now I'm glad I bought it.

Alavastitcher and Rryder, I hope both of you are recovering well from your eye surgeries.

JeannS, yes this MQ is a real challenge with such small pieces and such large amounts. I personally work better with due dates, so I'm really trying to keeping up with each week. Probably was wise of you to watch this year
Old 12-13-2017, 05:47 AM

If we do string blocks I will likely cheat and go find a striped fabric in appropriate colors.
Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
Down to my last 4 strips of #3 and I hae to stop wash and starch another yd of green- my melon.
I hope we are not making string blocks for this quilt because I'm not doing scrappy, they would look very blah in cream grunge.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:51 AM

I am so impressed with how well so many of you dealt with clue #3. For me, it was extremely challenging, probably the most difficult unit for me to get right in my short quilting history. I set it aside and made a bunch of microwave cozies over the weekend. It was nice to sew something that was fun and pleasurable vs pulling my hair out:-) I finished up the third clue this morning. I do not want to get too far behind on the clues. What scares me is if I decide to go full size I will have to revisit these little beasties! LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585275[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20171213_113614-800x600.jpg  
Old 12-13-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Bought the folded corners ruler when they first came out with it. Doug Ke??? was actually at the Shipshewana quilt show last June. He is very young!!

I do use it, but probably not as much as I should. It helps to re-watch the instructional video. Merry Christmas Kristijoy.

Marcia
Marcia, it was Doug Lenko, I saw him doing a demo at Cotton Corner and at the group lecture at the Blue Gate. He's like 22 and has had his own business since he was 14. An amazing young man! Here's his blog link: http://antlerquiltdesign.blogspot.com/ and this is the YouTube video for the ruler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0d2t354T4M
Old 12-13-2017, 12:16 PM

Here are my finished Clue 3 units.[ATTACH=CONFIG]585279[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mvc-005s.jpg  
Old 12-13-2017, 12:24 PM

Hey Cheesehead, love your fabrics.....I have the flower print too, 3rd from the right. Jane