UFO 2023 Challenge

Old 02-12-2023, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
Well - I did it. Started one of the PIGs - or gleams- and took steps to moving it forward. I have a 1 yard remnant with a giant "don't cut me!" Print and many years ago i pulled fabrics for a pieced border of DNA twists. I did math and cut HSTs today. Fingers crossed that did the math right
Well, well, well. I have made a total of 12 blocks and did a test layout on the bed to see how many more....and it looks like now I'm at the not-so-fun part of figuring out how to make the twists go around the corner.

In the middle of all of this my sewing space has been turned upside down and for a while there I was sewing on my secondary machine on a TV table. But 1 hst at a time... Journey of 1000 miles thoughts.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:22 PM

Default First Finish of 2023!

I’m not sure if this really counts as a UFO, since it’s actually the Merry Mayhem Mystery for this year, which means this one never really got the chance to become your typical UFO. It was pretty much “in progress” until it was done! A little over a month start to finish, working on it whenever I could squeeze in the time here and there.

The goal was to get me motivated to quilt again, and it accomplished that. I like the back and I got creative with the freehand hearts in the borders, and then I gave it to a friend this weekend, so yeah, overall it’s a win!

On to the next, which is a TRUE UFO that I’ve been working on since…gulp!…2005!

Attached Thumbnails 3721e97e-d12e-4af6-8f7e-a5f8ca68d978.jpeg   cbcecae0-41e9-4ba8-b6dc-615b5a9d34f2.jpeg   bd0eac2c-aae7-4bb0-870c-281fc08368c2.jpeg  
Old 02-12-2023, 04:55 PM

So many of finishes! Congratulations UFO heroes. And then even more stories of progress toward finishing. Keep going! I don't think there is any hard and fast rule about what defines a UFO. For me, I say six months of hanging about or just sitting in a box, bin or bag qualifies as a UFO. If I am working on it, slow and steady like, it is a WIP. But those are the guidelines I set for myself.

At the moment I am just sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for my Pfaff to come home from the "spa". I have three or is it four sandwiches waiting for me to get stitching. I have a smaller machine that can handle piecing but just is not so terrific for machine quilting. So, I wait. Fingers crossed that this will be the week to get'er back and get'er done! I want to get some finishes this month. I guess I could be cutting binding I suppose.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:12 PM

Finished my first UFO for March. OK, I started working on finishing it in February but finished it yesterday. All I needed to do was back, quilt and bind. Why did it take me nearly a year? Who knows. It was the remains of a jello roll and some scraps of pink. I will be adding it to my bin of quilts Project Linus. Finished size: 50X60. I think I have 8 or 9 UFOs left. Plowing ahead.
Attached Thumbnails 2023-03-04-pink-green-scrappy-donation-50x60.jpg  
Old 03-05-2023, 04:47 PM

Ha-Ha-Ha; a "jello roll". That would be really messy. Sorry, my brain was working faster than my fingers. I meant, "Jelly Roll", bet y'all knew that.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:03 PM

My next, second, March UFO! This one was started about 18 months ago and just hung about waiting for quilting and binding. Top stash. I think I bought the banking new when I originally finished the top with hopes of finishing in 2022. Hoping to finish one more UFO because, I found at least four small bins that had been donated to me that had, you guessed it, UFO's or WIP. Just when I think I have these bugaboos under control, I find more.

The colors of this quilt are WAYYYY off. But I was shooting on a gray day. The lightest color is really a cheddar print and the taupe is light brown print. The cat in the window is a gray tabby. I will try again on a sunny day for my records.
Attached Thumbnails 2023-03-09-brown-gold-scrappy-donation-56x66-resized.jpg  
Old 03-09-2023, 06:30 PM

I need to jump in here! I have at least a dozen unquilted tops sitting in my sewing room. If I can just stop making any new ones until I quilt what I’ve got, I’d feel much better. I hope to get one small baby quilt top sandwiched and quilted this weekend. I can do that, right? It’s only been hanging in a closet for more than two years. Egads! I’ll post it when done.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:52 PM

WMUTeach, nice finishes.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:20 PM

Hello everyone. Well I finished quilting 7 baby quilts for a friend and 1-throw. Not UFO’s. That’s been 1/2 February to mid March.

Now I can focus on my numerous projects. My Bauble Beads is completed, yes a ufo. Yea!!!!!

My work in progress UFOs = 1) bind lock- 2020; 2) wolf twin bed - needs quilting and machine bind; 3) Halloween twin - needs quilted and bind; and 4) r/w/blk top - needs quilted and bind. I figure 2-3 will get completed this month. What’s not completed will be completed next month.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:36 PM

Goodness, Happylab you are certainly busy and move ahead at a quick pace. Congratulations! Once the ball starts rolling it is sometimes hard to stop! I know that I find often the getting started is the hardest and then I find the finish wasn't nearly as difficult as I had envisioned. Three Cheers for You!! Hip Hip Hurrah, Hip Hip Hurrah, Hip Hip Hurrah!

Janice McC, Go for it and look what you can do in one week-end.