UFO Challenge for 2021

Old 01-02-2021, 12:53 PM

Welcome, Joe'smom & PiedPiper. People on this thread are so encouraging to everyone about their UFOs & finishing them. Your list isn't too long, so I think it's doable.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:04 PM

If I remember correctly, a UFO can also be finished by moving it onto another person. When I'm totally bogged down on a project, I might do that. Some ladies have put bindings on my comfort quilts (I needed hand surgery). The last zoom meeting 3 participants were trying to finish up projects they'd gotten from comfort quilts' stash. All three were mine. They said they liked working on mine because they are different from other quilters' and and very interesting. I'd say this about myself, unique and interesting.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

I spent time in my sewing room today, cleaning/ picking up- and worked on making my UFO lists- I have 4 lists- (1) quilts just needing quilted and or bound (2) quilts in various stages of piecing (3) hand/ travel project ufos- the ones ( mostly wool appliqué or EPP) that I work on during breaks at work, when riding/ traveling, waiting for appointments, sometimes working on at home watching tv. And (#4) is the list of projects I’m Supposed to make- ones that were asked for years ago- someone is ( still waiting) wondering if I’m ever going to get around to it- I have everything I need for these- just haven’t taken the time to work on them- for whatever reason.
I think list (1) has the most on it- 9 or 10 the other lists have between 4 & 7 ( so far)
along with getting these organized & written down I also finished the 2020 temperature quilt blocks/ strips. I still need to add outside borders then quilt & bind - but I love having all the piecing done - 366 flying geese blocks ! I’m feeling pretty good about sticking with it for the whole year. It will not become a UFO, it’s for my daughters (45th) birthday- she is really excited about it.
my goal is to work on a ufo for at least a couple hours every day I get to sew, then work on what ever ( current) project I have going on- No New projects before a ufo is finished. I’m hoping to be able to finish a ufo every week or two. And I’m counting those ( supposed to make ) projects as the new starts-
Some of the need to quilt projects are small. I should be able to do 2 or 3 of them quickly.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:47 PM

I'm happy seeing everyone's quilting plans for 2021. It seems many have well thought out lists of projects they want to complete in the new year. Well done!
Old 01-02-2021, 06:24 PM

Welcome to the newcomers! Please share photos as you finish.

petthefabric: My UFO tops are generally given to my church quilting group to finish and they pass them on to an organization. I count them as completions.

I pulled out the Trip Around the World UFO that I found in someone’s donation. Oh, boy, oh boy! The story will follow when I get the top finished some day, 🥺
Old 01-02-2021, 07:56 PM

I am still working on the ones from 2020, and today I found 10 more that need to be finished. So that is my 2021 project, finishing up UFO's.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:27 PM

I've never had enough UFOs to join, but I do this year.
Oldest ; FMQ my son's wedding quilt. It wasn't going well, so I just keep ignoring it.
Baby girl quilt needs pinning, FMQ and binding
Baby boy quilt needs back built, then same as above
A wedding quilt - stacks of blocks started
Oklahoma Crossroads - 16 patches done - working on alternate blocks
My Double Irish chain - my first quilt for me - needs borders, etc
Merry Mayhem quilt - WIP - I'm not very far
At least a dozen ready with pattern and fabric
I'm sure there are more started and put aside. I'm looking forward to some completions.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:48 AM

I'm joining in too. I have 12 or 13 UFO's that have been hanging around too long. Plus I inherited 3 or 4 UFO's from a dear friend that passed away in June. I've been making a lot of quilts for charity but this year is mine!
Old 01-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

What a great finish to 2020...an inspiration for this year! It's fun to read everyone's aspirations for 2021. FYI, I didn't list all my UFO's, just the ones I really want to finish. I find that many of my quilts are long term and are really WIP's, but WIP's over long periods of time

Drum roll.....I have a finish! the charm quilt I was almost finished with at end of year is now bound and threads all clipped. I need to find my phone to get a photo. I have pictures of my December finishes, but they are on my phone, too

Now what is next....
Old 01-03-2021, 02:38 PM

I'm back for 2021, we relaxed at the cabin this weekend so I haven't gone thru the sewing room to see what is there, or to clean it up. I do know of about 4 off the top of my head. It's great feeling healthy again.
Welcome all the new UFO'ers!