Old 01-07-2011, 08:28 PM

I just finished one, I am in.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Friendly Quilter
I just finished one, I am in.
picture?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:58 AM

OK, How is everyone progressing????

I know some of you have completed a UFO already. I'm a far cry away from that, but I will report that I HAVE worked on my UFO everyday! (It may have only been 15 minutes or an hour, but..Every little bit gets you closer to the end results that we want.) That is an accomplishment in itself.

How about you????
Old 01-08-2011, 09:06 AM

same here I have 27 more blocks to make (9) patch but I am trying to stay focus
Old 01-08-2011, 05:35 PM

I just went down to my sewing room and found several UFO's now just to get some time to work on them! Congratulations to the ones that have completed one already this year!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Last night got out 4 UFO's, and yesterday took one to the LA, so I am ,making some progress.Slow though it may be.
Well done everyone who has finished one or more already.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 PM

I am working on the Bonnie Hunter Mystery.
Right now I am on Part 7 - - putting a type of churn dash.
I was not a happy camper with the idea of a bunch of pink in a quilt, but so far, I have four blocks completed and I don't know how many plugged into the "system" I have of chain sewing.
It may not be as fast as production sewing, but it is more interesting and I have more capability of mixing things up should I choose to do it. Once I get to the last block set up, the blocks will come off like water off a duck's back.
I am enjoying the process <wave>
Old 01-08-2011, 07:17 PM

I finished a potholder that's been sitting in the middle of my "to do" stack for quite some time. My potholders take about 8 hours of work. I'd already pieced the back as a postage stamp quilt that needed a border and sandwiched the 3 front layers sans design as well as the 3 back layers.

So early this morning, I went through the ritual of making coffee and did a reverse applique of small state map. I used the spring wildflowers IV of bluebonnets and went over the applique outline with some deep blue thread satin stitch after quilting the western red cowboy fabric on the reverse area around the map. I then quilted the back and bordered it with the same bluebonnet fabric as the map, made a bluebonnet hanger from a doubled 2.5" strip of the bluebonnet material as well as the binding.

I started at 5 am this morning and finished at noon. I already had 3 hours into the design, piecing, and cutting phase. Maybe they take a little longer than the 8 hours I thought. It's like making two miniature quilts and tacking them and a piece of turkish toweling in the center to make them handle the heat from cast iron skillets in a hot over and still protect the hand.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by beautress
I finished a potholder that's been sitting in the middle of my "to do" stack for quite some time. My potholders take about 8 hours of work. I'd already pieced the back as a postage stamp quilt that needed a border and sandwiched the 3 front layers sans design as well as the 3 back layers.

So early this morning, I went through the ritual of making coffee and did a reverse applique of small state map. I used the spring wildflowers IV of bluebonnets and went over the applique outline with some deep blue thread satin stitch after quilting the western red cowboy fabric on the reverse area around the map. I then quilted the back and bordered it with the same bluebonnet fabric as the map, made a bluebonnet hanger from a doubled 2.5" strip of the bluebonnet material as well as the binding.

I started at 5 am this morning and finished at noon. I already had 3 hours into the design, piecing, and cutting phase. Maybe they take a little longer than the 8 hours I thought. It's like making two miniature quilts and tacking them and a piece of turkish toweling in the center to make them handle the heat from cast iron skillets in a hot over and still protect the hand.
Sounds gorgeous. Can you post a picture?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:24 AM

I'm still stuck on block 3 of my Christmas Quilt, although I'm a bit further along than I was previously. I sure hope my pace will pick up after this block, or I'll never get the top finished before the end of January!

I think the main problem with this is that I adapted the sizes of the blocks and because of that I need to 'smuggle' a bit here and there. Something must've gone wrong with my calculations, but I can't find where, since one block turned out fine and another block I had to smuggle a lot to get it to the desired end result. It's too late to turn back though, so I'll just forge ahead and see what the outcome will be!