Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
UFO Challenge of the Month 2011 >

UFO Challenge of the Month 2011

UFO Challenge of the Month 2011

Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 PM

(Second one is a Noah's Ark quilt I foundation pieced years ago when I first started FP. Not pieced together very well but I quilted it anyway and it will be put into my quilts to be donated to the children of our recent floods here in Aus.)
Lynnie- I would think the Noah's Ark one would be a safe bet to give to any child there now after what they have been through. Might make them feel safe and warm. Great job on both!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by yolanda
wow....hmmm.... i have a couple UFO's .. ugh.. committment! yes, I will finish one by Feb 28th.. is that ok?
Of course it's ok, yolanda! We are just here to help and encourage one another in finishing up projects that we have let turn into UFOs. You can set your own goals and deadlines. We will cheer you on and encourage you to meet them. Hopefully, you will post a few photos along the way.
Some UFO's might need broken into smaller parts, if we realize that we cannot finish them in just one month realistically. Then you just set the part that is your goal for the month. Maybe to finish the top this month, and do the quilting next month. It's up to you!
Welcome and happy quilting with us!!!! Hugs and smiles
Old 01-30-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lynnie25
Here are 2 UFOs I have finished in January.

First one is a Jar Quilt, top pieced years ago and I finally quilted it a few days ago. My reason - I have to help 'decorate' the child care area at the Community House where I work and this will go on the wall :)

Second one is a Noah's Ark quilt I foundation pieced years ago when I first started FP. Not pieced together very well but I quilted it anyway and it will be put into my quilts to be donated to the children of our recent floods here in Aus.
Love both of them :) You can just picture a small child with the Noah's ark quilt wrapped around them
Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 AM
QM
Power Poster

Yesterday I did some work on each of 4 UFOs. 3 of which I had forgotten about.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:16 PM

Is today the last day to show pictures of any UFOs?? I'm spending most of my time working on my granddaughter's quilt and I did get the top done and on the quilting frame. So, my UFO for this month is small...... a table runner that I worked on a couple of years ago. I made 3 runners and didn't get them quilted and bound. I will get the binding on today and post tomorrow if that's okay.

Love seeing all the finished projects..... sometimes it takes a little pushing to get me back on track. I have several UFOs to do but most will take more than a month due to the handquilting that takes me forever. But.... getting that ...push.... is good for me.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:22 PM

I do not have pics of mine, as the person who was to take the pictures forgot the camera this morning! I finished a wall hanging and a quilt for someone at church.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:47 PM

here is my UFO for Jan. It was to be a Christmas gift but had to put away due to new job and everything else so I finished it and gave it as a gift for a birthday instead.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115831.jpe  
Old 01-30-2011, 03:52 PM

robbi your snowman is too cute!! Good job! Don't anyone go getting discouraged now! If something didn't get done in January, it automatically becomes a project for February, that's all. When one month is gone, it's history and we forget about it and looking only forward, have a brand new month for working on our UFOs. How great is that??!!?
Hugggs and smilessssss
Old 01-30-2011, 04:23 PM

What I wanted to ask you was, what you you do with the silkies that you made? What are the little loops for? I have not seen that before, very cute![/quote]

The silkies are just little security blankies -- those are 12" square. Gerber used to make them with a big silk ruffle on the edge and sell them about 8 years ago. My older nephew (the one who's turtle stuff is in the turtle quilt) LOVED his, and when my sister in law was pregnant, he wrote a note to the baby and gave him (the new baby) his silky. -- It made EVERYONE cry at the baby shower.

Nate - the older nephew - would rub the silkies under his nose constantly. They went EVERYWHERE and he had like 6. Some how he only wound up with 2. One went to new nephew, and the other went to another baby cousin in the family (who might be born this week!)

=)[/quote]

Okay, I can relate to that. I had to have flannel when I was little. I remember Mom having to get up in the middle of the night and go get me a piece of flannel out of her sewing stuff because I was crying so bad.

But I remember my youngest son had those nice thick silky nylon blankets when he was small, he had 2 of them and I washed them both on the same day once and he wanted something silky so he could take a nap and I found him laying on the floor with all of our nylon jackets under him. I had a 7up jacket-vest that the sleeves zipped off of, and I would take a sleeve off and let him have it to hold sometimes when we didn't have the blanket. As he got older, he used to carry his little hot wheels in something different every week. First a box, then a bag, but he finally came upon one of my silk pillow cases and from that day forward for years, he always had his pillow case with him so he had his silky and none of his friends knew. His wife likes to tease that he still likes his silkies, and he is 31 in May. Time sure flies! So love those babies when they are little, because before you know it, they will be grown, with kida of their own.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
Is today the last day to show pictures of any UFOs?? I'm spending most of my time working on my granddaughter's quilt and I did get the top done and on the quilting frame. So, my UFO for this month is small...... a table runner that I worked on a couple of years ago. I made 3 runners and didn't get them quilted and bound. I will get the binding on today and post tomorrow if that's okay.
You can post anytime. When January ends, we go on to February. So . . . . . post as you can. We love seeing pictures.