Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Christmas Cookie Recipes

These are regulars at our house during the holidays:

Chocolate Ginger Cookies, https://prettysimplesweet.com/chocolate-ginger-cookies/
    (We use an old Martha Stewart recipe, but I can't find it online and these are pretty much the same thing.)

Mexican Wedding Cakes, https://www.marthastewart.com/316774...-wedding-cakes
    (This one IS a Martha receipe and it's good!)

~ C

Thank you so much for sharing some yummy sounding recipes !!

A new recipe for my Christmas baking tradition.

1 box Brownies
    1 pkg Red Peppermint mini marshmallows.
    Semi-sweet choc chips.

Bake brownies per directions on box. Soon as you take from oven spread a layer of the mini marshmallows, place a cover of alum. foil. crimp tight. Let set for 20 min. Melt in Microwave semi -sweet choc. chips to frost marshmallows. Then I add festive sprinkles. These were a hit both places I took these to.

• Christmas Eve Cookie
    • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 10-oz. pkg. Andes Peppermint Crunch Chips or chunks(Red pkg.)
    • 1-1/4 cups butter or margarine (2-1/2 sticks) , softened
    • 2 eggs
    • 2 cups sugar
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS

• 1. Heat oven to 350F. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
    • 2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well. Stir in peanut butter chips. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
    • 3. Bake 8 to 9 minutes. (Do not over bake; cookies will be soft. They will puff while baking and flatten while cooling.) Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. Makes about 54 cookies.
    • PAN RECIPE: Spread batter in greased 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350F 20 minutes or until set. Cool completely in pan on wire rack; cut into bars. About 4 dozen bars.
    • ICE CREAM SANDWICHES: Prepare CHEWY CHOCOLATE COOKIES as directed; cool. Press small scoop of vanilla ice cream between flat sides of cookies. Wrap and freeze.
    • HIGH ALTITUDE DIRECTIONS:
    • -- Increase flour to 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons.
    • -- Decrease baking soda to 3/4 teaspoon.
    • -- Decrease sugar to 1-2/3 cups.
    • -- Add 2 teaspoons water with flour mixture.
    • -- Bake at 350F, 7 to 8 minutes. Yield increases to about 6 dozen.
    • Our all time favorite Xmas cookie.

Fannie Mae Fudge

4 cups sugar

1 cup whole milk

1 tsp vanilla

25 large marshmallows

1 cup real butter

13 oz pkg chocolate chips

2 oz (squares) unsweetened chocolate

13 oz milk chocolate

1 cup milk

Mix sugar, milk, butter, and vanilla. Let boil for exactly two minutes. Turn heat off. Add marshmallows; stir until melted. Add chocolates one at a time. Heat until melted.

Spread into a 12 x 10 x 1 buttered pan. Makes 5 lbs.

It seems like packaging weight has changed over the years so buy the closest you can find and time the boil when it reaches a rolling boil. This is really a no fail fudge and delicious!
    Last edited by mlt150; 10-31-2018 at 07:09 AM.
    Dianne

When each of my military kids were deployed, I sent dozens of cookies overseas and especially at Christmas. I still like to bake, but do not make as many as back then. Two that are our favorites as well as sugar cookies, and spritz are the following recipes:
    https://www.hersheys.com/reeses/en_u...d-cookies.html Easy and quick if you do not have a peanut allergy to worry about.
    Here is another one. I love Snickerdoodles. I do not love how they "dry" out so fast. The following recipe does not last long enough to dry out. The pumpkin is very subtle but I love these and have had other people say how good they are.
    PumpkinDoodles

Ingredients:

• 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
    • 1 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
    • 1 large egg
    • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
      Preparation:

1. In the bowl of a mixer at medium speed, creamthe butter or margarine with the sugar. Add the pumpkin and beat untilcombined.
    2. Add in the egg and vanilla.
    3. In a separate bowl, with a fork, mix the cream of tartar, baking soda, saltand flour.
    4. Slowly add it into the batter, you will have a sticky light orange coloredbatter.
    5. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for an hour. If you arepressed for time, place it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
    6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
    7. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
    8. In a small bowl, mix the 1/2 cup sugar with the cinnamon.
    9. Using a small spoon, scoop up a spoonful of batter. Roll it into a ballbetween your hands.
    10. Roll the ball in the cinnamon/sugar mixture and place on the preparedcookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
    11. Bake 12-15 minutes.

TIP:
    I substitute 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder for the cream of tartar and baking soda.
    I left the cookie dough in the fridge for a day before I got around to bakingthem.

SOURCE: Kosherby Design: Entertains, by Susie Fishbein. Recipe reprinted withpermission from MesorahPublications.

Good luck with your baking.
    Susan
    The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away. Anonymous
    Susan - AKA _ Anglelight

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    What a great thread! Thanks for starting it.

One of my very favorite cookies to make are in the Betty Crocker cookbook- sugar cookies. They are so easy and we make cut-outs every year. My DIL and I never miss out on this. I make others but never omit these. Everyone loves them.
    SusieQOH Which particular sugar cookie recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook do you use? Mine has "Traditional Sugar Cookies" and "Deluxe Sugar Cookies".

Thank you everyone for sharing your favorite recipes - so many for us all to choose from Please keep 'em coming!

Christine
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Blog Entries
    Those Santa's Trash Cookies sound really good, Christine. I am going to have to try them. We don't make as many as we used to, since everyone is trying to lose weight. But I still like to discover new and tasty recipes. I'll see if I can find something different to add to the discussion.

Leslie

Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    Oh yeah. It's that time of year again. I also bake plenty. I have made as many as 13 varieties. Two of my favorites are spritz and date bars. I have a very old recipe book from the Milwaukee, wi power company that had some fantastic recipes. They are now online but I have not checked it out yet
    I hope you provide us with the website. I seem to collect cookie recipes like I collect quilt patterns and fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
    Those Santa's Trash Cookies sound really good, Christine. I am going to have to try them. We don't make as many as we used to, since everyone is trying to lose weight. But I still like to discover new and tasty recipes. I'll see if I can find something different to add to the discussion.

Leslie
    The Santa’s Trash cookies are a great combo of sweet & salty and are fun to make! They are a great conversation starter and crowd pleaser, too.
    Christine

Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    Oh yeah. It's that time of year again. I also bake plenty. I have made as many as 13 varieties. Two of my favorites are spritz and date bars. I have a very old recipe book from the Milwaukee, wi power company that had some fantastic recipes. They are now online but I have not checked it out yet
    I collect the Wisconsin Electric Co cookbooks, some date back to the early 50's. For a short time in the 60's/70's the Wisconsin Gas Co also had holiday cookbooks but theirs were not limited just to cookies.

Thanks for all the recipes. I make candy and cookies each year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Enjoyed this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mopec View Post
    SusieQOH Which particular sugar cookie recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook do you use? Mine has "Traditional Sugar Cookies" and "Deluxe Sugar Cookies".
    mopec- for years I made the Deluxe, then one year I tried the Traditional and they are so much better!!!!!!

I've been enjoying this thread -- even though I can't eat cookies any more I do enjoy baking but I don't think I'm completely safe from "testing" the results so will not be doing any this year.

I call these my cheater cookies but no one cares because they are so good. Buy a large roll of sugar cookie dough, set on the counter to warm just a little then roll out to about 1/2" thick. Sprinkle dried cranberries (or cherries) on dough and then add a generous scattering of pistasheo (the green nuts). Press all the nuts and fruit into the dough. Place on a piece of plastic wrap and roll up into a log. Chill, slice and bake. You can also dip the cookies into white or milk choc. to add a little something extra.

MaryellenU2. I can't find the direct link from my phone but you can find the books at WE energies cookie books. Mine is dated back to 1953. So many good recipes in the older books. I need to put the pages in sheet protectors. That poor book has been taped together so many times

QuiltNama - Your 'cheater cookie' recipe sounds yummy especially with melted white chocolate on top I honestly have gained a few pounds just reading these recipes!
    Christine

Wonderful cookie, fudge etc.
    Beate Keith

I found the link to the Wisconsin cookie books. All the way back to the beginning are available. So many great recipes to go thru. I hope you all enjoy them. ttps://www.we-energies.com/recipes/cookiebooks/index.htm

Blog Entries
    Thanks, cjsews. I used to have this but forgot about it. I grew up in Wisconsin and have quite a number of these books. My sister, who still lives in WI, usually gets me the new books. These sure are fun.

Leslie

I want to have a cookie party so although I think buttercream frosting tastes better, I am learning about how to make good royal icing because it hardens and is glossy for decorating sugar cookies. I am also learning some flavors make it taste better.

Does anyone here have a favorite flavor of royal icing?

Darcyshannon - I've always made my royal icing with vanilla with a bit of almond combined but I would try any of the Lorann emulsion flavors that appeal to you. Peppermint sounds like a great option for candy cane sugar cookies!

You'll have to share pics and tell us what flavor(s) you've used! Royal icing cookies are such a show stopper

Christine
    Christine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcyshannon View Post
    I want to have a cookie party so although I think buttercream frosting tastes better, I am learning about how to make good royal icing because it hardens and is glossy for decorating sugar cookies. I am also learning some flavors make it taste better.

Does anyone here have a favorite flavor of royal icing?
    I have a recipe for a cookie frosting that hardens, but doesn't get rock hard. It uses white corn syrup. I let the cookies sit overnight to firm up before putting them in a container. The recipe comes from a book called "Decorating Cakes and Party Foods" by Louise Spencer. I usually double it to use on my favorite cut-out cookies, which I also double.

Cookie Glaze

3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
    cup warm water
    1 tablespoon white corn syrup
    teaspoon flavoring

Mix all ingredients together until well blended and smooth. Spread quickly over cookies and allow to dry thoroughly before decorating with Royal Icing. If glaze is too thick to spread easily, add and stir in a few drops of hot water.
    Yield: of a cup or enough to cover about 36 3" cookies.

We don't use Royal Icing. We color this glaze and frost the cookies with various colors. They aren't the most refined looking cookies, but we like them. My kids used to help with the decorating, and my son would do it if he were able to be here when we do it, but my husband gladly pitches in.

Leslie

I always like some mint treats on my cookie tray. These are so good and my daughter & brother ask for them every year! Chocolate Mint Marshmallow, yummy.

http://www.glimmercreations.com/2014...kie-candy.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast