Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Appliances on the Counter >

Appliances on the Counter

Appliances on the Counter

Old 07-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

he, he. where did pantries go? in the bathroom with the clothes closet!
Old 07-02-2017, 10:19 AM

Microwave, toaster oven, Keurig coffee maker, canister with wooden spoons, and a bowl of fruit. Those are the permanent residents. Then we have the migrant junk that keeps appearing at the far end of the counter, that drives me crazy!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:05 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Right now??? Every danged box of packed goods that belong in the kitchen!! And the floor is covered with them too. I just moved.

You just had to ask, didn't you. LOL!!

Jan in VA
Old 07-04-2017, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I never understood the clear counter tops phenomenon. What are they there for? I have absolutely about 4.5 feet of working counter top chopped up with a stove and sink area, so not a lot of working space and two corner areas. It is a small kitchen and I make it work. Toaster in one corner, tin bread box in the other and a canister set next to that. I also have an old silver plate coffee server that I keep my wooden spoons in. My whole kitchen is about 9' x 10' and most of that floor space is taken up by three lower cabinets, stove, dishwasher and fridge.

The biggest thing that bothers me about modern kitchens is there is no space around the stove which is the dirtiest place in the kitchen. You can't clean the sides of the stove. Anything that goes into those cracks on each side, stays there. Just one of my peeves. Who designs kitchens this way?

And no pantries, one of the most important things in a house. Where did they go?

My late DH used to say, It is work space, not storage space, and did not like extraneous things on the counter. Of course we had a VERY small counter area in that kitchen. But if you need to mix things, roll out dough, chop things on a cutting board, you will appreciate some working space.

Where I am now, anything on the counter gives the tiny ants something to hide under. So I need to keep it clear so I can clean it regularly. I had them under control until this last bout of heavy rain, and now they are back.

And I agree with not being able to clean the sides of the stove. If you have ever been around when one was pulled out for any reason, they get totally GROSS on the sides.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:49 AM

My kitchen aid mixer and crock pot are in the appliance garage in the corner. My toaster and microwave live on the counter all the time. The island arm has my iron and pad my cutting mat several rulers and usually a pile of material.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Small appliances like the toaster, blender, processor, etc. are kept in the kitchen pantry and taken out when needed. I have a microwave, big red stand mixer, counter top convection oven and vacuum sealer on the counter. Also pretty colored crocks for cooking utensils. A pretty tea pot on the stove. A fruit basket on the bar and that is all that sits on the bar. Nothing sits on or around my sink area and nothing on top of the fridge. Empty surfaces make it easy and fast to keep clean.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-04-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:51 PM

Good question! No wonder I have no counter space. A lot of things "live" on my limited-size kitchen counter: toaster oven, coffee maker, utensil jar, coffee bean grinder, kitchen scale (although the tea pot lives on top of that), small compost bucket, Keurig machine, mini blender and Soda Stream. Wow! Never thought of all that space given over to resident appliances.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

I am surprised at how many responses there have been to this thread.

You did notice that I did not mention the "non-applicance" stuff that is on my counters.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:46 AM

Amazing how many counter appliances named here,I no longer own.DDs have their own dust catchers,but I can usually find
a taker.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Right now??? Every danged box of packed goods that belong in the kitchen!! And the floor is covered with them too. I just moved.

You just had to ask, didn't you. LOL!!

Jan in VA
good luck in your new place!